Newest Member
    joxey
February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The general public actually enjoys these milder winters here. Most people outside this board that I talk with like the idea of more time outdoors and lower heating bills. That's why so many head south for the winter.

I think we'd have to see this kind of anomalous warmth in the summer before the public really became concerned.   Like you said, most people see 60 or 70  degrees in February as a great day.

3 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

I think we'd have to see this kind of anomalous warmth in the summer before the public really became concerned.   Like you said, most people see 60 or 70  degrees in February as a great day.

I think they will only get concerned if one of these more frequent summer heatwaves overloads the system and we get power interruptions. 

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

I think they will only get concerned if one of these more frequent summer heatwaves overloads the system and we get power interruptions. 

Either that or another extremely anomalous winter month like December 2015. Not so much that they'll be concerned but that they'll at least notice it.

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I keep wondering when the tipping point will be in NYC regarding the increased snowfall since 2001 and the increasing temperatures since the 1980's. It's coming I'm just not sure when.

There is definitly a tipping point.

what I believe now is we have Big big storms with huge totals during some winters. Other winters could feature wall to wall warmth. And eventually there will be a winter where nyc goes snowless.

i think the biggest danger is extended dangerous heat waves. Had we had the exact setup we had last week during July it would have been well into the 100s. I think nyc’s first 110 isn’t far off. It will most likely occur at lga first for obvious reasons

Another major danger is the increased threat of a major hurricane strike 

I noticed allergy season symptoms showing up earlier in late Feb for 2nd yr in a row. Minor but you know its there. That never used to happen.. I think 2012 same thing. Usually you notice more like mid march, then gets bad by April.  Besides the warm high temps, it seem we go through some extended periods without freezing low temps. Id think a few days with lows in the 20s would keep things dormant a little longer.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

what I believe now is we have Big big storms with huge totals during some winters. Other winters could feature wall to wall warmth. And eventually there will be a winter where nyc goes snowless.

i think the biggest danger is extended dangerous heat waves. Had we had the exact setup we had last week during July it would have been well into the 100s. I think nyc’s first 110 isn’t far off. It will most likely occur at lga first for obvious reasons

Sandy was the worst case track for NYC and western LI/Jersey Shore, and the size/pressure made it a lot worse than the Cat 1 wind intensity. If we get a pure major hurricane anytime soon, more likely it tracks like a Bob or 1938 into eastern LI/Rhode Island. That would still be horrendous but moreso for New England. It's hard to get a pure major hurricane to track into NYC because of all the land just west and all the way south that can wrap dry air in. The shelf water being cold is another limiting factor. It would need to come on a NNW trajectory which is extremely rare. 

Regarding the rest I agree. Sooner or later the pattern overall will warm up to make what are now marginal snow events rain or white rain, which will hurt. The big ones will still be snow but another question is where the warmer water will make them track. Eventually I can see there being lots of huggers that would favor snow inland. I've read some thoughts about the cool glacial melt water around Greenland helping a +NAO by keeping heights lower there. There'll be many impacts from the changing climate that are hard to guess at. 

9 hours ago, bluewave said:

With the forecast highs around 60 today, Newark has a chance to tie the record set just last year and in 1976.

Most days of 60 or greater from January 10th to the end of February:

8...2018...so far

Look at how many of those are post 2010.  Seems like things have taken a sharp turn climate-wise from that point on.

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

More tropical illnesses carried by mosquitoes and other critters too, especially with the higher humidity and rainfall totals up here.

I dont know if the general public makes this connection though.

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I also want to know when the tipping point of nature is when the human species has screwed itself beyond the point of return (and not just with climate change but also with other things they/we are doing) but that's another topic for another day lol.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

More tropical illnesses carried by mosquitoes and other critters too, especially with the higher humidity and rainfall totals up here.

I wonder how long it will be until a July 2013 style ridge near its peak strength gets stuck near the Northeast for weeks? EWR or LGA  could easily see a +7.5 to +8.5 departure and their first 85 degree July.

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I wonder how long it will be until a July 2013 style ridge near its peak strength gets stuck near the Northeast for weeks? EWR or LGA  could easily see a +7.5 to +8.5 departure and their first 85 degree July.

Highest month mean my station has had in 40 years is 80.5°...Can't even fathom what an 85° month would be like.

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I wonder how warm our SST would get?  The humidity levels would make it unbearable to be outside for any length of time.  We're talking about a 95 average high and 75 average low, with peaks near 110.......

41 minutes ago, doncat said:

Highest month mean my station has had in 40 years is 80.5°...Can't even fathom what an 85° month would be like.

We came the closest in July 2010 and 2011. EWR averaged 82.7 in 2011 and LGA 82.8 in 2010.

37 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I wonder how warm our SST would get?  The humidity levels would make it unbearable to be outside for any length of time.  We're talking about a 95 average high and 75 average low, with peaks near 110.......

Yeah, DCA came close in July 2011 at 84.5.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

the aug 2016 ridge was impressive too

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We came the closest in July 2010 and 2011. EWR averaged 82.7 in 2011 and LGA 82.8 in 2010.

Yeah, DCA came close in July 2011 at 84.5.

The real question is with how hot those summers was, why did we start having cooler summers after 2013?  And when will we get back to 2010-2011 levels again and exceed them?

Just now, forkyfork said:

the aug 2016 ridge was impressive too

I hate it when we along the coast dont get 100 degree days.  Thats why I didnt like 2005.   I would like to see some combo of 2010 and 2011, 2010 consistent heat and 2011 extremes.

4 hours ago, Paragon said:

I’ve had Asian tiger mosquitoes in my yard for the past two summers. They are supposed to be “tropical” and are the mosquito that has the potential to carry Zika in this region. They are miserable. Aggressive and bite all day long. 

23 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

I’ve had Asian tiger mosquitoes in my yard for the past two summers. They are supposed to be “tropical” and are the mosquito that has the potential to carry Zika in this region. They are miserable. Aggressive and bite all day long. 

I just saw a big mosquito in my yard today :( They're huge!  I'd say we need to spray more pesticides but the pesticides seem to be as bad or worse than the mosquitoes- especially after the stuff I've read about pesticides from food being found in human blood and urine and being linked to brain damage in children.  They were also found in our tap water last year.  It was why I installed a filter system.

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I just saw a big mosquito in my yard today :( They're huge!  I'd say we need to spray more pesticides but the pesticides seem to be as bad or worse than the mosquitoes- especially after the stuff I've read about pesticides from food being found in human blood and urine and being linked to brain damage in children.  They were also found in our tap water last year.  It was why I installed a filter system.

Sure it wasn't a crane fly? I know a lot of people mistake them for big mosquitoes. Pesticides are terrible for bees too.  

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Sure it wasn't a crane fly? I know a lot of people mistake them for big mosquitoes. Pesticides are terrible for bees too.  

I thought it could be that or a midge but I'm not sure because it was getting dark.  I'm not spraying anything though.  Hopefully it gets cold again so we dont have a large bug population this year- rain and mild certainly isn't good for keeping them under control.

Archived