Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

50 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Especially when we have a record breaking MJO pulse like this. In addition to the record amplitude in phase 6, I believe this may be the longest passage in phase 7 on record. To complicate long range forecasts further, the new Euro run is trying to weaken before getting to phase 8 like the GFS and CMC.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.gif.b9580f45c3b32557a7800b621d2f99fc.gif

ensplume_small.gif.14b87781e978b109140df355a0e69b56.gif

@bluewave  What is causing the decrease in amplitude?  I would have thought given the records so far it would have just moved into phase 8 at a decent amplitude and progrssion.  

Also, some do not place so much faith on the MJO, as it is over-rated, I tend to disagree on that stance. What do you think Bluewave. Is the MJO a key feature and predictor of the weather here in the future?

It sure seems that the ECM 240 hour forecast is connected to the future placement of the MJO, at least to me it does.

Thanks 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Especially when we have a record breaking MJO pulse like this. In addition to the record amplitude in phase 6, I believe this may be the longest passage in phase 7 on record. To complicate long range forecasts further, the new Euro run is trying to weaken before getting to phase 8 like the GFS and CMC.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.gif.b9580f45c3b32557a7800b621d2f99fc.gif

ensplume_small.gif.14b87781e978b109140df355a0e69b56.gif

Big pullback on the ecmwf mjo in phases 812. Not good.

4 hours ago, Paragon said:

What do you think might be the cause for this kind of historic MJO?  Is it another symptom of the record blocking that we've seen that's been shifting west with time?

Papers have found that the very warm SST anomalies in the Central Pacific enhance MJO activity. The MJO became very active in October with the near record SST's west of the DL. That pulse was near record levels for late October followed the the most recent record amplitude.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2015GL066984/full

Finally, we reexamine the relationship between SST anomalies and MJO activity based on the historical record. Previously, Hendon et al. [1999] showed enhanced MJO activity, both globally and locally in the western/central Pacific, favored by positive SST anomalies in the central Pacific equatorial region around 160°E–160°W during November–March (their Figure 10). 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I'm finding 2001 to be pretty interesting as I'm looking a little deeper today. There are several factors that are lining up pretty similarly with this year. Check out the MJO progression that year, and the composite 500mb for Feb of that year compared with the pattern on todays 12z EPS. It was a weak la nina year with similar QBO. It was also a year that featured a SSW split in Feb such as this one will, which is occuring around the same date as the one that year did. It's also interesting how the MJO amplitude tanked similarly in phase 7 without really propagating trough phase 8, similar to how this one is now being modeled albeit with a timing and amplitude difference.

2001 MJO:

6lFKiDB.gif

Here was the Feb pattern that year:

h6ElOOE.gif

Some similarities with the 12z EPS are noticable:

G4TmJLV.png

Next 8 days averaging 42degs., or 9degs. AN.

Month to date is exactly NORMAL.   Should be  +4.0 by the 19th.

Both GFS/CMC have 4" of Rain Only for the next 10 days. We are gonna end up with 7" of Rain for the month, at this rate, a potential 70" of Snow---but just a half inch actual.

No hope for Snow, less the first half of March with its predicted, putative BN temps.  Feb. could end up  @+5 or +6 degrees.  A big bust---and for those a topless show will do!  Lol.

39 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging 42degs., or 9degs. AN.

Month to date is exactly NORMAL.   Should be  +4.0 by the 19th.

Both GFS/CMC have 4" of Rain Only for the next 10 days. We are gonna end up with 7" of Rain for the month, at this rate, a potential 70" of Snow---but just a half inch actual.

No hope for Snow, less the first half of March with its predicted, putative BN temps.  Feb. could end up  @+5 or +6 degrees.  A big bust---and for those a topless show will do!  Lol.

Really wasnt a bust. Guys on here have been talking about a warm February since November. Heck, even the accuweather long range (worthless) forecast had February well above normal.

As January became warmer, talk of a cold February really started to ramp up along with models that seemed to support this wishful thinking.

Yesterday saw all of February’s cold anomaly wiped out in Central Park. Courtesy of mild temperatures today, February will begin building a warm anomaly. The 0z ECMWF is particularly aggressive with the warmth, suggesting that the temperature could wind up as the 2nd warmest on record for February 16 (the daily record is 71°, which was set in 1954). At this point in time, that cumulative warm anomaly appears likely to persist through the rest of the month, even as colder air could return toward its close.  

New York City’s Average Temperature Through:

2/10 33.7° (2/10 estimate: 33.6°-34.0°; Normal)
2/15 36.2°-37.8° (2/10 estimate: 35.9°-37.9°)
2/20 36.6°-39.3°

Per aggressive sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of an above normal monthly anomaly: 61% (2/10 estimate: 58%). Less aggressive sensitivity analysis places the probability at approximately 75%.

The 2/9 MJO had an amplitude of 3.473. That figure is below the daily record amplitude of 3.627, which was set in 1985.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yesterday saw all of February’s cold anomaly wiped out in Central Park. Courtesy of mild temperatures today, February will begin building a warm anomaly. The 0z ECMWF is particularly aggressive with the warmth, suggesting that the temperature could wind up as the 2nd warmest on record for February 16 (the daily record is 71°, which was set in 1954). At this point in time, that cumulative warm anomaly appears likely to persist through the rest of the month, even as colder air could return toward its close.  

New York City’s Average Temperature Through:

2/10 33.7° (2/10 estimate: 33.6°-34.0°; Normal)
2/15 36.2°-37.8° (2/10 estimate: 35.9°-37.9°)
2/20 36.6°-39.3°

Per aggressive sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of an above normal monthly anomaly: 61% (2/10 estimate: 58%). Less aggressive sensitivity analysis places the probability at approximately 75%.

The 2/9 MJO had an amplitude of 3.473. That figure is below the daily record amplitude of 3.627, which was set in 1985.

The euro in that range always seems to get temps wrong. Anyway this is a typical La Nina Feb. with it being the warmest winter month...the opposite of El Nino

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

At least for the DJF period, looks like we got an abbreviated but potent dose of winter from 12/8-1/8. We can't complain since we saw a 950 mb blizzard and the second coldest 12/26-1/8 period on record. Part of the new weather extremes pattern that is becoming the new norm around here.

The extremes have been impressive in recent years. I guess you could add the record MJO amplitude and what looks like a record SSW event to the extremes list.

13 minutes ago, bluewave said:

True. We can also include the record +PMM( Pacific Meridional Mode) with the wall of Western NOAM blocking from Nov into early Jan. And the record +500 mb height and PWAT in Jan.

I could see the kind of day we are having today happening in April or May...a cold wet period!

Not much to add. EPS delays the negative AO till end of month, and MJO and NAO looks good, but EPO goes positive and PNA stays negative. GEFS teleconnections look better save PNA and MJO. 

I will refrain from putting a "winter is over" statement until/if Isotherm and Don change their stance. Until then I will hold out hope. 

Archived