Newest Member
    joxey
February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

especially with February crapping the bed...most of us have not see anything meaningful since 1/4/18.    Desperate times indeed.

but most locations still have above normal snowfall and below normal temps for the season this is how the winters go around here - look at the historical monthly and seasonal totals - nothing to complain about this season...……..and everyone is giving up on February on the 9th of the month:facepalm:

9 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

but most locations still have above normal snowfall and below normal temps for the season this is how the winters go around here - look at the historical monthly and seasonal totals - nothing to complain about this season...……..and everyone is giving up on February on the 9th of the month:facepalm:

I guess that some parts of our area are disappointed that they are getting their lowest snowfall between January 5th and February 15th of the 2000's so far. Even if we had the blizzard and snowy December before this period began.

Lowest 1/5-2/15 snowfall in NYC since 2000:

2018.....1.9"...so far

2012.....4.5"

2008.....2.8"

2002....3.5"

30 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

However the two week forecast is warmer than normal, not leaving much time left.  Of course that could change...

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I guess that some parts of our area are disappointed that they are getting their lowest snowfall between January 5th and February 15th of the 2000's so far. Even if we had the blizzard and snowy December before this period began.

2018.....1.9"...so far

2012.....4.5"

2008.....2.8"

2002....3.5"

there are several ways you can evaluate this season and make comparisons to other seasons but I would rather have a front loaded season with over 19 inches as of Feb 9th  rather then:

2001 - 02 --- 3.5 in. season total

2006 -07 --- 12.4 in  "      "

2007 - 08 ---11.9 IN  "   "

2011 - 12 --- 7.4 In   "  "

all NYC totals

26 minutes ago, bluewave said:

2018.....1.9"...so far

2012.....4.5"

2008.....2.8"

2002....3.5"

6 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

However the two week forecast is warmer than normal, not leaving much time left.  Of course that could change...

many places will struggle to get to average snowfall unless things change...who would have thought that on the morning of 1/5/18???

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

there are several ways you can evaluate this season and make comparisons to other seasons but I would rather have a front loaded season with over 19 inches as of Feb 9th  rather then:

2001 - 02 --- 3.5 in. season total

2006 -07 --- 12.4 in  "      "

2007 - 08 ---11.9 IN  "   "

2011 - 12 --- 7.4 In   "  "

all NYC totals

some horrid years in there.   Difference this year is the front loaded element-recent years have featured little snow before 1/15 and then the snow gates opened up.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

many places will struggle to get to average snowfall unless things change...who would have thought that on the morning of 1/5/18???

I find that hard to believe since NYC only has to total less then 10 inches by the end of the season and there will be opportunities on the horizon thru early April 

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

I find that hard to believe since NYC only has to total less then 10 inches by the end of the season and there will be opportunities on the horizon thru early April 

Completely agree. This is not as hostile as 2001 and 2011. Plus we have not seen a moderate or heavy storm since Jan 5.

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

it's definitely reachable.  One storm could do it.   However, it looks more and more like it will have to be in very late Feb or March....tick tock, tick tock...

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Completely agree. This is not as hostile as 2001 and 2011. Plus we have not seen a moderate or heavy storm since Jan 5.

Those years were so bad, we could not even get a rainstorm.    Bone dry.    We at least for now have an active storm track...3 events in this past week alone.

3 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

anyone complaining that we have not gotten our share of snowstorms the last 10 plus years compare those years to previous decades on this chart - I think some of the younger crowd have been spoiled:ski::snowman:

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/sixplussnow.pdf

these boards would have been fun from say 1985-1990 with NONE.  LOL

NYC is nearly tied with last winters snowfall through 2/9 despite the colder winter so far. I would have traded in the cold for some extra snow like we saw in 2016.

NYC avg temp and snowfall through 2/9:

2018....33.3.....19.4"

2017....38.1.....20.5"

2016....42.5.....30.5"

6 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

Better prepare for a colder snowier late Feb through March with a delayed spring after reading this - just a couple weeks ago he posted regarding FEB

I am looking at all the long-range data, and by data, I mean observations that help me determine which model solutions to trust.  I am telling you right now, rest up and enjoy this break.  You'll need the energy for shoveling I think.

25 replies 49 retweets 163 likes
Retweet

yeah that dude is worse than a broken clock

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

these boards would have been fun from say 1985-1990 with NONE.  LOL

Jan 87 had a big one, by 80's standards.....it had been so snowless for so long people quite literally forgot how bad it could be to have a major storm with heavy rates start at around 9 am after everyone was at work.....many people were stranded on the GSP and had to abandon their cars. Which the state police were kind enough to tow....

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Jan 87 had a big one, by 80's standards.....it had been so snowless for so long people quite literally forgot how bad it could be to have a major storm with heavy rates start at around 9 am after everyone was at work.....many people were stranded on the GSP and had to abandon their cars. Which the state police were kind enough to tow....

That was the biggest storm since February 1983 and then there was no 8 inch event again til March 93.  I think the December 1990 and February 91 events fell just short with around 7.5 piece.  That wasn’t necessarily normal either, much like the last 16-17 years haven’t been normal snow wise with frequency of big events.  NYC should see an 8 inch storm probably every other year.  January 87 was a classic models move the Quebec high out too fast bust which was an epidemic among the models prior to the AVN NGM and NAM coming in and caused many snow events to be underforecast.  It was a major step back because the 1983 blizzard despite the forecast busting north of PHL there was a huge step forward in that when the 00Z models initialized on that Friday night they caught the bust and showed about a foot of snow in NYC between 00 and 12Z.  That was one of the first cases of a major event getting corrected by the models as it was ongoing and I think it was Mr G who said that on the evening forecast that night how big it was to see the models do that

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That was the biggest storm since February 1983 and then there was no 8 inch event again til March 93.  I think the December 1990 and February 91 events fell just short with around 7.5 piece.  That wasn’t necessarily normal either, much like the last 16-17 years haven’t been normal snow wise with frequency of big events.  NYC should see an 8 inch storm probably every other year.  January 87 was a classic models move the Quebec high out too fast bust which was an epidemic among the models prior to the AVN NGM and NAM coming in and caused many snow events to be underforecast.  It was a major step back because the 1983 blizzard despite the forecast busting north of PHL there was a huge step forward in that when the 00Z models initialized on that Friday night they caught the bust and showed about a foot of snow in NYC between 00 and 12Z.  That was one of the first cases of a major event getting corrected by the models as it was ongoing and I think it was Mr G who said that on the evening forecast that night how big it was to see the models do that

The busting back then was almost comical-so many forecasts of decent snows, then the event just started as rain and was rain the whole time.   Forecasts of snow and then no precip at all...

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I remember that 83 event; it was the biggest in years but came after the April 82 storm which was also historic. Aside from 87, the rest of the 80's was forgettable with a few3-5 inch events here and there. Nothing much happened until march 92. then after 96, nothing much from 97-2000. We can go years without much snow in this region. Sometimes many years.

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The busting back then was almost comical-so many forecasts of decent snows, then the event just started as rain and was rain the whole time.   Forecasts of snow and then no precip at all...

I remember in 89 a storm missing us completely, no rain or anything. My first year teaching; a snow day with not even a flake.

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It was a major step back because the 1983 blizzard despite the forecast busting north of PHL there was a huge step forward in that when the 00Z models initialized on that Friday night they caught the bust and showed about a foot of snow in NYC between 00 and 12Z.  That was one of the first cases of a major event getting corrected by the models as it was ongoing and I think it was Mr G who said that on the evening forecast that night how big it was to see the models do that

Feb 83 and Jan 96 were great examples of the Philly rule. If the longer range runs show Philly getting a big snowstorm, then it usually corrects north to include NYC closer in. That's probably why some didn't believe what the NAM was showing when it had the sharp snowfall gradient north of Philly for 2-6-10. That was one of the few exceptions to the rule that I can remember.

Archived