Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

If winter is over this will be the worst 2 year stretch at KOKV in it's history. So that gives you an idea of how bad the past 2 years have been as far as snowfall goes. I went and looked at the data and I couldnt find back to back years with under 10 inches. Wea re on pace to have back to back years with under 5 inches. KOKV has had bad years before. But never a 2 year stretch like this.

I moved to Smithsburg 18 years ago and this is the worst 2 years of snowfall I've had since being here. Even in awful years we still manage double digit snow totals up here. Been a rough stretch. That being said out our way we have another 5 to 6 weeks for snow and I find it hard to believe we don't see more snow at some point.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

this is turning into a colder version of last winter, but similar anemic snow totals.  bad winters happen here, but it's a little concerning to get them back to back twice in a decade.  you can view this link and see that winters are generally worse now minus the biggies:

http://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/dcasnow.pdf

that is until we get a snowstorm later this month and then i might delete this post.

that's a cool reference sheet...55-71 was a nice even keeled time in snowfall climo.  I would sell my soul for 30 inches every year that I can count on vice these massive storms that occur once in a great while...and I would like that 20 in 3 inch increments every week for 10 weeks and have it not melt...where is the Devil when you need him

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

If winter is over this will be the worst 2 year stretch at KOKV in it's history. So that gives you an idea of how bad the past 2 years have been as far as snowfall goes. I went and looked at the data and I couldnt find back to back years with under 10 inches. Wea re on pace to have back to back years with under 5 inches. KOKV has had bad years before. But never a 2 year stretch like this.

Per my records, Martinsburg had 1930-31 (5.7") and 1931-32 (1.4") that were worse back-to-back than the past two years have been here.  Not sure of the period of record for the OKV sites.  Regardless, its still a top 5 worst season for snowfall so far this year and its starting to piss me off, lol :devilsmiley:

2 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Per my records, Martinsburg had 1930-31 (5.7") and 1931-32 (1.4") that were worse back-to-back than the past two years have been here.  Not sure of the period of record for the OKV sites.  Regardless, its still a top 5 worst season for snowfall so far this year and its starting to piss me off, lol :devilsmiley:

I could only find records for OKV back to 1965. But I am sure we did just as poorly down here in those same years. So figure this two year stretch is the worst in 86 years. That is horrifying :)

30 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I'll admit that this season is exceptionally annoying because we spent most of winter in a non-shutout pattern. Some years it's just a roast fest coast to coast. I'm good with that. When there's no chance it doesn't bug me. This year has presented multiple chances for flawed small or mod events but nothing can break our way. Yea, we've gotten back to back minor ice events but snowfall is been scare to put it lightly. Doesn't look like the next 10 days will offer any opportunity to track snow so here we are...

19 hours ago, Ji said:
19 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:
Cranky dude seems a tad emotional, basically canceling winter.
HM is right, nothing is happening in our neck of the woods for a while. Will have to see how the strat stuff shakes out, but still a shot we get a good period towards the end of Feb.

Feb 22 to Feb 31 will money

Yeah..  I am still very optimistic. It's really uncommon to not see at least one 3-6 inch event in peak climo. 

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I could only find records for OKV back to 1965. But I am sure we did just as poorly down here in those same years. So figure this two year stretch is the worst in 86 years. That is horrifying :)

Down here in the central valley I told my fans in late November that I expected 10 - 20 inches this winter compared to a normal 24. So far, I have recorded 4.5 compared to a total of 4.5 for last winter. Of course, my cutoff around April 10 is a long ways off.

32 minutes ago, birdsofprey02 said:

Any chance you'd like to share what guidance you're using or elaborate on details?

Bizarre Canadian Polar Vortex retrogrades to Greenland on models by default, because it's an anomalous pattern and this is a probability pick. Greenland and surrounding heights will be higher than 468-486dm at this time
There is currently major warmth happening over Alaska that become blocky in NW Canada in a few days, this ive noticed over many years is a bust-low at the surface pattern here in the mid atlantic

The whole pattern is trending colder right now with a Stratosphere warming at the doorstep. Whatever that is, it's throwing things into some kind of forecasting chaos. (I made a note Dec 8-27 that we are something like 2-3x more likely to have a wintery pattern with +10mb heights at the pole vs -10mb, loose reference but historical analogs show the same correlation)
There are many things. 12z GFS is generally light rain, disorganized, high heights up to Canada pattern. This is like Feb 1994. Nothing is happening between now and then that is any kind of warm pattern or spring ridge as these things have a signature in developing. Pacific is S->N, and PV north of us cannot go any lower on models. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I'll admit that this season is exceptionally annoying because we spent most of winter in a non-shutout pattern. Some years it's just a roast fest coast to coast. I'm good with that. When there's no chance it doesn't bug me. This year has presented multiple chances for flawed small or mod events but nothing can break our way. Yea, we've gotten back to back minor ice events but snowfall is been scare to put it lightly. Doesn't look like the next 10 days will offer any opportunity to track snow so here we are...

Exactly. There really has been no torch to speak of, its either been historically cold or seasonable for the most part. Stuff has come close. Its just been very bad luck this year.

41 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

GEFS has had a pretty good h5  look for the period just beyond that. Maybe 16-20th.

The PV is largely still too far north though and the western ridge somewhat shallow.  It’s possible due to the SSW, the models may not grasp that a major change in PV location or Greenland blocking will occur til very close to the time it begins 

36 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Can we please stop using the GEFS? Is it ever right? It always overestimates snow and also counts mixed precip as snow. It's awful.

Why don't we just quit using all the models? After all most of the other models have performed worse then the GEFS on many/most occasions. And if your only criteria for trashing the GEFS is because of it's crappy snow algorithm then I really don't know what to say. 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The PV is largely still too far north though and the western ridge somewhat shallow.  It’s possible due to the SSW, the models may not grasp that a major change in PV location or Greenland blocking will occur til very close to the time it begins 

Seeing an improvement in the longer range with higher heights extending over top the pole and a corresponding drop south with the pv. Half expecting to see this look improve over subsequent runs. Or maybe the better term is hoping and wishing that it improves. :) 

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That's pretty much where my head is at. The strat split won't be an instant massive pattern influencer but it will certainly affect the hemispheric upper level pattern in some way and not just for a couple days. It will set the tone for what's left of winter. We're still 5 days out from the major strat disruption and probably 10+ days away from beginning to understand how it will impact weather patterns through late Feb and early March.

It could do absolutely nothing favorable for the eastern US. Or it could send us into a prolonged more favorable height pattern that lasts well into March. No model or brain can definitively say what's going to happen over the next 4-6 weeks. We're just going to have to watch and wait. Unfortunately the waiting part won't include much chance of winter wx in this area so time is going pass sloooooowly. lol

38 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That's pretty much where my head is at. The strat split won't be an instant massive pattern influencer but it will certainly affect the hemispheric upper level pattern in some way and not just for a couple days. It will set the tone for what's left of winter. We're still 5 days out from the major strat disruption and probably 10+ days away from beginning to understand how it will impact weather patterns through late Feb and early March.

It could do absolutely nothing favorable for the eastern US. Or it could send us into a prolonged more favorable height pattern that lasts well into March. No model or brain can definitively say what's going to happen over the next 4-6 weeks. We're just going to have to watch and wait. Unfortunately the waiting part won't include much chance of winter wx in this area so time is going pass sloooooowly. lol

What's a greenland block...lol

it's been so long I've forgotten what that looks like!  

Maybe if you bring back the old avatar it would bring us luck in the AO and NAO regions. Lol

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived