Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I saw that. Really heavy snow. It wasnt very good with the temps at range for todays event. I am wondering if it is struggling with temps again?

Eh it's the NAM at range. Between all the pre SB cooking/drinking/banter I glanced at the EPS and it looks like it made a small move in the right direction for your area. You guys out that way are soo close for this next event. Hope it works out. You are due!

17 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I hope you score. Your yard has missed out a lot the last 2 winters. Kudos for keeping up the excellent work in here despite the frustration. You never complain. The way things look currently, your area is going to be painfully close to something decent. I am rooting for you, and also Canaan lol. I am heading out there in another week. The pattern and the way things are aligning for at least the next week is hopeless imby. I did pretty good early tho. Saying I am stuck at 10" at this point isn't too bad. I can assure you there are no drought issues here though lol. Wish I could save some of this for July.

I'm getting plenty of cold rain today so I didn't miss out at all this one. Lol. 

Tracking snow or weather is just a hobby. Getting mad or emotional about it defeats the purpose. It's supposed to be a challenge and fun. The fishing analogy really applies. I fish a lot. I can go a whole day without a bite and just shrug my shoulders. It will snow again and I'll catch a fish again. It's not an if.  Raising 4 kids has trained me to be extremely patient if nothing else.  

One nice thing about the end of snow season is that trophy fishing on the bay follows quickly and then then freshwater fishing picks up strong after that. By the time I hook into my first 35"+ striped bass I could care less about how much or how little it snowed in my yard. Lol

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Icon does the front end thump too. As long as the gfs moves closer in some way then 18z was good across the board. 

I may be banned for saying this but iirc the icon and cmc had the right thought on the snow aspect of todays storm.  Not very good figuring out where sleet/mix will be but that what the mesos are for.  But, they both showed snow breaking out in sw va and progressing NE.

5 minutes ago, Ji said:
9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:
GFS not as friendly with the thump.

Gfs didn't see ice or snow for today for the dc area till 12z run today. Very poor performance

Yep, and this setup is better than today's for cold drain. Gfs wasn't lacking precip either (.5 from 12-18z). Comes in quick. I'll hug the nam/icon combo for now. Anyone got the Swiss model?

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep, and this setup is better than today's for cold drain. Gfs wasn't lacking precip either (.5 from 12-18z). Comes in quick. I'll hug the nam/icon combo for now. Anyone got the Swiss model?

I don't know when the Swiss model will be out (it often skips runs).  I'm not sure if you saw my post in the other thread about the Swiss model, but it nailed today's storm imby.  Better than any of the other mesos.  Too bad I didn't look at it until about an hour ago.

4 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

All these long long range theories are becoming white noise.  Deciphering a pattern is not the same as when a storm will develop in the same time frame.

I know.  All the strat warming, PV split, blocking required discusssion really means we got nothing.  It rained today in early Feb and the temps hovered at freezing.  This is just bad luck.

2 hours ago, BristowWx said:

I know.  All the strat warming, PV split, blocking required discusssion really means we got nothing.  It rained today in early Feb and the temps hovered at freezing.  This is just bad luck.

You know, the term "bad luck" gets thrown around a good bit.  Just my 2c but, how is there bad luck in science?  There is a sound reason as to why everything happens in meteorology...or any science, for that matter.  What we dont understand or dont yet have the capacity to understand is easily thrown into the pile of "bad luck."

8 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

You know, the term "bad luck" gets thrown around a good bit.  Just my 2c but, how is there bad luck in science?  There is a sound reason as to why everything happens in meteorology...or any science, for that matter.  What we dont understand or dont yet have the capacity to understand is easily thrown into the pile of "bad luck."

True.  Actually bad luck or good luck or luck in general really doesn’t exist.  Everything beyond science happens for a reason.  But luck is just easier to blame things on that don’t go how we want them to.  Totally guilty of that. 

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

True.  Actually bad luck or good luck or luck in general really doesn’t exist.  Everything beyond science happens for a reason.  But luck is just easier to blame things on that don’t go how we want them to.  Totally guilty of that. 

Believe me, I am not opposed to some good luck. Ha!....I would gladly take some here the last two weeks of feb..

34 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs continues the trend for colder surface temps and  a weaker low  for Wed.

Let's do it. Let's will this thing. We need some snow to get everyone happy in here, save this winter, end the 2 year snowless (what seems like) winter, then a nice warm up to get the stripers and herring running. Then another snow event in mid march so I can catch another 50+ lber. Lol

joking aside I want some powder turns before fishing season starts up again. And to see some winter wonderland cause there hasn't been much of that. Seeing grass poking up out of the dustings just doesn't look the same. 

31 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Believe me, I am not opposed to some good luck. Ha!....I would gladly take some here the last two weeks of feb..

When we miss by 100 miles it's just a bad break or luck or whatever. It can be scientifically explained but events like the one coming up on Wed can be a decent event here sometimes and all rain other times. Subtle differences in the same exact setup end up with different outcomes.  That's my definition of bad luck in weather. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived