Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

10 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am just catching up and took a look at it. Holy crap that is pretty epic. 

Yea it's like a weenie run on steroids. When it was only out to day 12 I saw and had to double check because it was already showing what would have been by far the snowiest run for a full 16 days. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Zoomed out a little tells a better story. A ton of SE hits in there too. Tells us that we probably aren't going to be on the knife edge with every opportunity. That's important with no blocking

Y0NSMfD.jpg

I love that view Bob , awesome ! 

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Specifics aside... we finally might get a decent snow pattern. 

Lol, or not.  It's a pattern where most events will have issues.  For example the Sunday/Monday issue could easily slip to out south or have the northern stream amplify enough to warm us too much for snow.  This isn't a pattern where you get the old 50 50 low to help lock in the cold air.  All DC systems can fail but those with no negative NAO or 50 50 low fail more often and this is a pattern where it is hard to get a 50 50 low.    That doesn't preclude us getting 2-4 inch or even greater snow but makes it harder.  I'm not overly excited about the next couple of threats which means one of them is probably a lock to come in.

I really like the fact that all 3 globals have a fairly juiced up system just to our south.  Sun/mon deal. At 5 days out that seems ideal. I know the trend has been to flatten waves out but inside of 72 hours trends have been north.  As long as this thing doesn't trend to Florida I think we'll see something out of it.

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

In fantasy/reality, half (or a portion) of) e10 is sleet. That applies to a number of panels because mixed events are baked in all over but lame wxbell calls it all snow. Regardless....most epic run of the year. Period. 

True but if I had to choose between 40" of snow or 25" of snow and 8" of sleet with a little freezing rain just to make it all a glacier (about what that shows NW of 95) I might choose the latter.  Seen the 40" thing recently. A 25" thick glacier that won't melt until we get a week of 50 degrees would be cool. I mean that. 

16 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Lol, or not.  It's a pattern where most events will have issues.  For example the Sunday/Monday issue could easily slip to out south or have the northern stream amplify enough to warm us too much for snow.  This isn't a pattern where you get the old 50 50 low to help lock in the cold air.  All DC systems can fail but those with no negative NAO or 50 50 low fail more often and this is a pattern where it is hard to get a 50 50 low.    That doesn't preclude us getting 2-4 inch or even greater snow but makes it harder.  I'm not overly excited about the next couple of threats which means one of them is probably a lock to come in.

Can't argue with any of that. It's why a -nao and or 50/50 help is by far what we would want.  But given both of those seem a lost cause would you agree this is our next best bet...get the -epo to get the boundary near is but not too far south then throw waves at us every 2 days and just hope one works eventually.  That was how we won in 2014 and 2015 with little to no nao help. Or do you think that was just hitting the lottery twice and unlikely to work again. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

True but if I had to choose between 40" of snow or 25" of snow and 8" of sleet with a little freezing rain just to make it all a glacier (about what that shows NW of 95) I might choose the latter.  Seen the 40" thing recently. A 25" thick glacier that won't melt until we get a week of 50 degrees would be cool. I mean that. 

We saw what a small glacier could do in the mid March sun last year. Better than a high ratio snowfall of the same size that melts within 1 day of above freezing temps.

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Can't argue with any of that. It's why a -nao and or 50/50 help is by far what we would want.  But given both of those seem a lost cause would you agree this is our next best bet...get the -epo to get the boundary near is but not too far south then throw waves at us every 2 days and just hope one works eventually.  That was how we won in 2014 and 2015 with little to no nao help. Or do you think that was just hitting the lottery twice and unlikely to work again. 

I think a couple of the better events that year we got help from a negative AO.  Plus, I think we had a slightly strogner southern stream a couple of times.  That still could happen as we got forward.  I think we were lucky but could get lucky again. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I would take 3+ ft of pure powder every time, probably because I have never experienced it. All the big storms I have experienced living here, and even the 10+ years I lived up in Carroll County, none were over 24". Just about all the big KUs since I have lived here produced between 18-23", some with sleet mixed in of course. Jan 2016 was a bit of a bummer because of the dry slot. It was basically half a storm. That was all snow here and could have pushed 30" instead of 15".

The Control run was a beauty. Looking at the H5 setup between the operational and control will show how the Control got it done. The northern stream and southern stream were a bit more in sync, and jet streak positioning on the control would allow for a low to intensify a bit more, run closer to the coast and get precip further back west into the area. Wish I could see a mapped area of divergence on the control, but that look would certainly show a nice area of lift from Central Va up into MD and SE PA. I wish you could lock in runs, because I'd ball and chain that control run now. 

Edit: This is for the Sun night/Mon deal

kek what a nice run of the GEFS ensembles... i especially love the weenie e10
Y0NSMfD.jpg&key=5f212c9ce9f8047b99e39333e171fb37b873fe1836ddf2698bae2eec7e7fea3e
Lots of them show a shredded baking powder bomb somewhere after next Monday, definitely nothing to get excited about as this will probably be completely different in 24 hours.
I keep seeing this but nothing ever shows up on OP. When is epic snow pattern suppose to happen lol

16 minutes ago, Ji said:
21 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:
kek what a nice run of the GEFS ensembles... i especially love the weenie e10

Lots of them show a shredded baking powder bomb somewhere after next Monday, definitely nothing to get excited about as this will probably be completely different in 24 hours.

I keep seeing this but nothing ever shows up on OP. When is epic snow pattern suppose to happen lol

One of the problems with these maps on wxbell is they count any frozen precip as snow. There are a lot of mixed events in there with inflated totals and the gefs resolution doesn't capture fine details well either way. The main takeaways are that there should be active flow with multiple precip events embedded over the next 2 weeks. Temperatures will be a concern with most if not all events. 

A failure at this point would be less than 1" qpf over the next 15 days. Snow is a different beast. We'll probably get some. That's all I got. 

ETA: and for comparison, half of the EPS members give your yard or DCA 5" or more of snow over the next 2 weeks. The other half are less or practically none. 

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

I am not buying into seasonal trend either.  Every set up is unique.  

You probably should buy into it. The past two years the trend has been south and east. It has been undeniable. I didnt used to pay attention to seasonal trend. I thought it was crap. But every winter it seems those that do well early continue to do well until the deck is reshuffled. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived