Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

4 minutes ago, Ji said:
7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
If nothing else...that's the first back to back epic op runs all winter. 

Why do you keep forgetting the magical dec 21 to 24 runs lol

That was only 1 event. Gfs today missed going wall to wall by 5-8 degrees. Lol. We need multiple chances to score. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Ji said:

22 minutes till bob tells us the ensembles dont support this

I'm surprised but the 0z gefs isn't even close to the op. A lot of light rain events and some weak snow events. Maybe it's a good thing because when they agree it usually doesn't happen 

Eta: I'm talking about sun/mon specifically. 

5 hours ago, Ji said:

its a completely different event than was modeled a few days ago....The Icon has that look but the GFS still has no wave of low pressure

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

You made the comment when the gfs had a complete non event and now it's nearly a half inch of qpf. 

4 hours ago, Ji said:

it took our initial storm...made it a non event and then created a new event

Your both right. Problem is without a better defined wave of low pressure it's hard to get enough cross boundary flow to get the precip into the cold side of the front. So the precip is mostly ahead of the cold. A better wave will tighten up the baroclinic boundary and get more precip on the cold side. Of course it's circular thinking because a tighter boundary will also have a better low because it has more potential energy and baroclinicity.  But if we did get a more amplified solution it would also likely shift the boundary north and that's no good also so imo were pretty much stuck in a no win Friday needing an ultimate thread the needle. I've moved 90% of my attention to next week. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm surprised but the 0z gefs isn't even close to the op. A lot of light rain events and some weak snow events. Maybe it's a good thing because when they agree it usually doesn't happen 

Eta: I'm talking about sun/mon specifically. 

It was a pretty weenie run though overall. A couple light events then a signal for something more significant late. 

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Why not? Snowgoose said storms rarely happen close together. If 2 giants can happen a few days apart, getting a couple light or mod events should be no problem. 

That comment made me go :wacko:

to be fair he implied back to back significant events. But I didn't see those threats as big amped up storms that squash the flow behind. Their a series of waves. 

That said we have had storms following Deep systems. 2010 being the best example. We had a string of events in 2013-14 both in December and feb. 2003 there was some snow behind pd2. 2000 we had 3 events in a week. 1996 (it was rain where he lives) but we definitely went back to back. 1987. Could go on but this is silly. Getting one significant event is rare so of course two is infrequent but based on how rare getting any big snow is getting two occurs probably more frequently then you would think.

maybe it's different up there but he made the comment in here. 

I dont know much.. but it looks like the GFS is advertising a fairly standard/ non complicated way of getting some snow in our area next week.. I prefer this look over some other fantasy storms we have seen this year. 

I guess 3-6 inches from a overrunning event in early February is much more plausible than some of the other ways we have gotten our digital snow this year.  

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Nice improvement on the 6z gefs  for Sun/Mon threat . Nice mean increase in snowfall and bump in qpf. 

I count 2 decent hits for Fri morning for central Md. But as many have stated temps will be our bigger  issue possibly .

Some pluses and minuses with Monday. Subtropical jet is bumping up to our south but we also have a fairly progressive flow. A somewhat decent setup for a possible phase  as well but lets see what the energy running through looks like around Friday because that will probably be all over the board the next few days. 

I dont know much.. but it looks like the GFS is advertising a fairly standard/ non complicated way of getting some snow in our area next week.. I prefer this look over some other fantasy storms we have seen this year. 
I guess 3-6 inches from a overrunning event in early February is much more plausible than some of the other ways we have gotten our digital snow this year.  
Agreed, and with that sort of 'basic' setup there is actually more upside vs downside than what is currently advertised, though I would keep expectations low regardless. We know how things have worked out (or not) the past 2 years as lead times have lessened.

I think the chances of a large event on Friday are pretty much gone, but I still think there's a bit of hope, particularly for the N/W crowd, to have a small (1-3"?) event.  Last several GFS runs have trended to have a more defined wave and have tilted the frontal zone more W-E oriented vs. N-S.  Look at the gif below.  As we know by now, our issue is surface and boundary layer temps.  850 temps are fine, but the boundary layer is torching when the precipitation falls. A more defined low pressure that forms to our southwest and tracks to our south should help pull in colder air and drop our temps while also helping bump up precipitation a bit.  ICON sort of does this, but tracks the low overhead. 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh72_trend-2.gif

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived