• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Create fantasy radar (storm)

zinski1990

Want to do something different that I haven't seen anywhere on a forum yet. Since many of us are starved this winter for a decent region wide storm use your imagination and make those fantasy 200 300 plus gfs storms come to life. Create your own radar, winter storm, totals, predictions map etc. If you're a bigger severe weather fan create your own super cell, SPC map, tornado track. This is something different and try and keep other discussions out. If you can just make a map off of paint or whatever software and get creative. Let's see those fantasy storms and radars

Interesting thread idea.

I made this one a few years back.  This is basically a slower and larger version of the Dec 87 blizzard.  Can envision a nice 60-70kt CC over eastern Iowa/western Illinois.  Rapidly deepening surface low that tracks up along the IL/IN border.  Would be a nice front-end thump for the eastern sub.

33xbwjt.jpg

30 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting thread idea.

I made this one a few years back.  This is basically a slower and larger version of the Dec 87 blizzard.  Can envision a nice 60-70kt CC over eastern Iowa/western Illinois.  Rapidly deepening surface low that tracks up along the IL/IN border.  Would be a nice front-end thump for the eastern sub.

33xbwjt.jpg

Holy ice storm batman. Haha

2 hours ago, WeathermanB said:

Did you use pixlr for that? just wondering

no i actually just copy and pasted from the noaa weather advisories map lol. It took some time white filling all the counties and finding the correct color matches for winter weather advisories, warnings, blizzard warnings etc but it can be fun to look at and imagine if it was for real.

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting thread idea.

33xbwjt.jpg

very cool certainly looks like a mean storm

1 hour ago, zinski1990 said:

Snowfall map of my fantasy mega storm. Colors go from 1-3, 3-6, 6-12, 12-18, 18-24, 24-30, red is the 30 inch plus spots. As you see much of the st louis metro, central eastern ill, much of indiana, nw ohio and into michigan receive amounts from 18-30 inches plus.

total snow totals map.png

>You get me in the sweet spot

Ayyyy

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Does this have to be within the bounds of plausibility or not?  Like, can I draw up a map with a 910 mb low over Toledo?  

u can be as creative as u want lol. But I just like to think somewhat realistic lol but in weather I guess there can be no limits. Would love to see your maps and others soon. Looks to be a fun thread that can go on for a while

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cool thread. I feel like my fantasy event actually happened already. I don't know if it can even get better than this around here. 

weather-les-112614.png

Yah for some of you lucky ducks have already had your ideal weather event occur. With lake effect events like this it may look like a fantasy map but they have happened.

Also, those from other regional forums who stumbled upon this and have drawn maps feel free to let others in your regional discussions know. I would like to see any ideas like a dream scenario noreaster, southern snow event, upper midwest blizzard, and if you enjoy severe weather your own maps on that

21 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

cool graphics. How did you do the colorings? And from first glance that kind of looks like the December 19-20 2009 storm

Pretty sure I turned the opacity down with the paint brush on photoshop. Also, it was based on Feb 4-5th, 2010, which was fairly similar, except for the concentration of heaviest snow. Cracked 2 feet here.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Does this have to be within the bounds of plausibility or not?  Like, can I draw up a map with a 910 mb low over Toledo?  

That might be risky.  Could be so strong it would wrap in warm air close to the low even on the nw side.   Would be one of those situations where its blizzarding in Kentucky and pouring rain in FtWayne

For me, ill take a 968 over Clarksburg WV and call it a day.:)

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Decided to whip up a quick snowfall map to go along with it as well. Like Feb 5-6 2010, but colder and better.

5a692f5d8ab02_DreamMap.png.f8d0e9dacc9d34578926bd1f96167d65.png

Very cool and possible for your area. Even though I'm not from out east and get sick of seeing you guys get the good storms so much I always remember Feb 5-6 2010 most. Definitely my.y favorite storm that hit the east coast. Just never saw a storm since watching following weather with so much gulf moisture plumbng in

19 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

Very cool and possible for your area. Even though I'm not from out east and get sick of seeing you guys get the good storms so much I always remember Feb 5-6 2010 most. Definitely my.y favorite storm that hit the east coast. Just never saw a storm since watching following weather with so much gulf moisture plumbng in

We often feel the same way about areas to the North and East that catch storms that we miss. Jan 4th of this year was a biggie, as NYC got 10" of snow, and even Virginia beach, while we got 1" of snow. Feb 5-6th was a beautiful storm, but we ended up paying for that winter as a whole with a 3 year decent (2"+) snow drought the following year. 

Also responding to @buckeye, my apologies for posting maps that focus on the MA. Just wanted to post this map here because I'd rather not create a thread centered around this in the MA forum. Would be appropriate to have a general weather discussion forum on here for stuff just like this, so folks all around could contribute. If I remember correctly, there was a thread like this on accuweather forums asking a similar question, and it was pretty popular with folks all around, especially so that that year was a pretty bad year for snow. Cheers!

Archived