Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential Pacific tsunami

PDIII

32 minutes ago, Stradivarious said:

7.9 earthquake deserves nothing but respect... just go to Valdez and see...

Are you referring to 1964?  That was 9.2 and lasted for 4-5 minutes.....it was closer to the coast....much closer....not 150 miles offshore....the tsunami threat today was the bigger deal and it was clear pretty quickly even that was no big deal....they cancelled the warnings and watches fairly quickly....the quake must have not vertically displaced the sea floor significantly enough

2 hours ago, Stradivarious said:

7.9 earthquake deserves nothing but respect... just go to Valdez and see...

That's not the topic of the thread, it was the tsunami.... and the dire tone.

From what I've heard the quake was centered 15 miles deep.  Too deep to generate vertical thrust needed to generate a significant tsunami.

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

Sure it does. But having a subtitle that says "Looks to be significant" and then posting about Twatter claims of 10m waves is a bit dramatic, don't you think?

If you were awake at 5 am and were watching Twitter with all of the tsunami warnings all the way down the US coast and video of the folks in Kodiak fleeing for higher ground with sirens going off, at that moment it did appear to be pretty significant.

19 minutes ago, jacindc said:

If you were awake at 5 am and were watching Twitter with all of the tsunami warnings all the way down the US coast and video of the folks in Kodiak fleeing for higher ground with sirens going off, at that moment it did appear to be pretty significant.

It's all semantics, I suppose. Would have been better to say "could be significant."

But don't mind me, I tend to overanalyze the manner in which words are used by people to convey their thoughts.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:39 AM, ice1972 said:

Are you referring to 1964?  That was 9.2 and lasted for 4-5 minutes.....it was closer to the coast....much closer....not 150 miles offshore....the tsunami threat today was the bigger deal and it was clear pretty quickly even that was no big deal....they cancelled the warnings and watches fairly quickly....the quake must have not vertically displaced the sea floor significantly enough

Yes, the 1964 One was way bigger, and this one was farther off shore. But in the hour during and after the event, it is not clear what if any or how big a tsunami will occur. I was in Valdez in September, and saw the old city. (Valdez was abandoned, and the whole city moved 4 miles inland after the 1964 Quake, everybody had to move, the old city is still there and it is a ghost town). So, this one was initially called an 8.2 Quake, which is a major event. You may want to go play on the beach right after, but I’ll stand by my post. The tsunami potential should be treated with respect...

Archived