Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Remembering the Blizzard of 2005

USCAPEWEATHERAF

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The pack in my hood in Marshfield after the clipper post blizzard was very similar to the pack after the Jan 96 blizzard in Brockton. You could argue 96 was meatier and perhaps a few more inches, but it was sort of a fake 3' pack. Not much water content. 2015 was just on another level, and I think the pack on 2/2/11 when I lived in Dorchester rivaled 96 and 05 when you weigh in water content and depth. The depth in 2011 maybe wasn't quite 96 or 05, but that was a man pack.

2011 was pretty sweet. The 1/18 and 2/2 events put some extra meat in the pack too. They were basically SWFEs. 2015's depth was sick but I'm betting 2011 had more water in it in ORH despite 6" lower for peak depth. Def not in Boston though. Neither can beat march 2001 though...obviously to the east of ORH hills, march 2001 was pretty run-of-the-mill...pack prob never got higher than 15" on the coastal plain outside of NE MA. 

2005 was crazy for like a 10-12 day period. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2011 was pretty sweet. The 1/18 and 2/2 events put some extra meat in the pack too. They were basically SWFEs. 2015's depth was sick but I'm betting 2011 had more water in it in ORH despite 6" lower for peak depth. Def not in Boston though. Neither can beat march 2001 though...obviously to the east of ORH hills, march 2001 was pretty run-of-the-mill...pack prob never got higher than 15" on the coastal plain outside of NE MA. 

I had low 20s for a pack in '01, but there was a sneaky jack zone toward N Andover and Lawrence....they had like 30"+.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2011 caused more roof barn collapses in ECT than any previous year

5 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

2011 caused more roof barn collapses in ECT than any previous year

Jan 2011 was the month of the roof rake....and there were roof collapses everywhere....we were getting requests from a lot of nervous people asking for either structural design of repairs or inspection services to check if structure was good....a church and a large retail building near my work the whole thing have way....flat roofs FTL.....

3 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Jan 2011 was the month of the roof rake....and there were roof collapses everywhere....we were getting requests from a lot of nervous people asking for either structural design of repairs or inspection services to check if structure was good....a church and a large retail building near my work the whole thing have way....flat roofs FTL.....

I  made a roof rake as they were all sold out. 2 by 4 1 by 10 screwed to a branch cutter. Worked great, bought one that summer, first time in my life I had to use one, then came 15. Pitched roof but ice dams are a biatch

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I  made a roof rake as they were all sold out. 2 by 4 1 by 10 screwed to a branch cutter. Worked great, bought one that summer, first time in my life I had to use one, then came 15. Pitched roof but ice dams are a biatch

That was the greatest......it was by far the longest stretch of non stop snow and continuous pack building I have witnessed in our short 13.5 yrs here in SNE......I mean the drifts and the shovel piles were epic......at the peak I could walk off the end of the driveway and then up and over the deck rail......top of deck rail is 6 feet above grade....lol that has never even come close since......still holding out hope......

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have had good luck with the ice dams......my roof actually has an overhang and I think that helps prevent any problems.....I should probably rake it but I don't and we have never seen any evidence of leaks inside the house in the typical spots where you would see that......don't get me wrong....we had a pretty big ice block all along the gutter but the gutter held strong and there wasn't any leaks......longest icicle was probably 6 feet and it almost touched down on the deck.......before the melt came in early Feb........structurally houses with their peaked roofs can deal with a lot of weight - especially with the steep roofs we have here in New England with our capes, colonials, and salt boxes with steep roofs......the flatter roofs out west woudln't stand a chance

Archived