Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2018 Mid-Atlantic General Severe Discussion

Kmlwx

6 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

Media reports of a possible tornado south of Dulles, according to family.  Anyone else hear this?  Would make sense - hearing social media reports of trees uprooted and snapped in half in South Riding, about 5mi north of my location.

https://twitter.com/iembot_lwx/status/996156139644575745?s=20

NWS Employee reported a funnel cloud in Ashburn at 619pm

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Almost none, which is why I laugh every year at the title of this thread.

:lol:

It was certainly severe in parts of the area - it seems like the storms may have weakened as they approached the metro.  Loudoun, Fauquier and points west got it pretty good.

Not bad overall; it had a great look as it approached: well-defined shelf cloud, greenish tint below it in the vicinity of Tyson's. As ominous looking a storm as I've seen in some time. Almost had that "mothership" look, or at least "grandmothership." Best wind was about 2/3 through; it might have approached 50 MPH, but only briefly, and coincided with some legitimately torrential rain -- it's always nice to see the "curtains" of rain envelop everything for a moment or two. As is often the case, and as others have remarked, the best T&L came toward the end. No hail, but with a fairly new car that I have to park outside, hail is not something I want to deal with.  

Yeah, if you live in Norman or Wichita Falls or Venezuela, this wouldn't even register. But we live in the mid-Atlantic, where the weather just doesn't get too extreme (fog and HHH aside) except on rare occasion.   

Seems like it packed a bigger punch out toward Dulles/Leesburg.  

• Like 2

Got almost an hour of strong rain near Crystal City, till some rain and thunder about.

The rain gauge at Four Mile run picked up about an inch of rain in 40 minutes.

update:  At 7:52 pm, DCA recorded 1.37 inches of rain during the hour of the event.