• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Event of 2017

George BM

I was hesitant on making this thread because it's already 19 days into the new year and that there weren't exactly many notable region-wide events. But that aside, what weather event from last year was your favorite. 

Mine would be the April 6, 2017 severe event. I saw my first wall cloud/ "tornado" with the QLCS that came through early that afternoon(1:33-1:45pm) (also 50+ mph wind gusts). It figures too because I wasn't expecting much of anything severe due to crapvection lasting until 12:50pm and SBCAPE AOB 250 J/kg. 

Sidenote: March 1, 2017 also could have been a decent region-wide event had the line come through a bit later in the afternoon with max heating and had clouds cleared a little bit earlier. I liked March 1st for its potential. But it was not my favorite because, of course, DCing.

Easily the snow chase in Rehoboth in early Jan. It was a great cold powder storm, somewhat rare at the beach.

Amazingly, I was able to do it again just a couple weeks ago, and this January's storm topped the 2017 one primarily because of the wind- it was a legit blizzard with more drifting. Both were 10-12" events. Rehoboth is a snow town- who knew?

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Easily the snow chase in Rehoboth in early Jan. It was a great cold powder storm, somewhat rare at the beach.

Amazingly, I was able to do it again just a couple weeks ago, and this January's storm topped the 2017 one primarily because of the wind- it was a legit blizzard with more drifting. Both were 10-12" events. Rehoboth is a snow town- who knew?

Hey! Forgot about that. I'll say the same thing but Ocean City. Good times doing snow angels on the boardwalk on the cam. Also stopping at Evolution Brewing and the Crab Bag.

The squall of April 6 was the best I've seen in awhile with marble- dime sized hail and severe wind gust. This is despite 2-3 hours of moderate convection during the morning and midday. The Feb 9 snow squalls were impressive. The most unique event was the slow moving August 11 storm that tracked across northern Virginia with supercell characteristics and a healthy couplet despite a typical marginal August environment.

Probably the mid February severe thunderstorm squall and hailstorm.  I even noticed the green sky effect just before it broke loose and wondered if I was just "seeing things" considering it was mid February.  The wind driven hail was pretty impressive for any time of year and it started to accumulate and "drift" around objects which was pretty cool and scary at the same time.   I was thinking about watching those Texas hailstorms on youtube while it was happening and hoping for the best for my windows.

Archived