• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
FIXED - My Favorite Forgotten Storm

JC-CT

After today's debacle, I was reminiscing about one of my favorite storms - December 29th-30th, 2012. Those along the MA shore might have suppressed the memory of this storm, as we all may do for today's. In my hood it gave a belated Christmas gift of about 12" of heavy snow.

What I remember most clearly was the biggest, fattest aggregates I have ever seen fall at a moderate rate or greater, before or since.

And then there was that god-awful warm and boring stretch from that point on for several weeks, where every single storm seemed to show up in the long range on the Euro, only to cave to the GFS in the mid range and end up going through the meat grinder of the uber-progressive flow. Until one day...

Here is the radar loop that I spent most of the afternoon putting together. Be sure to thank my boss.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That was the height of my awful stretch that started in 2011. What a screw job BOS had during that time. Of course it changed 6 weeks later.

That season had some really bad stretches in it. It shows how our memories are skewed towards the big ones, because we always consider it a good winter despite losing the entire month of January.

My storm was back in December 2010, when the surprise of a lifetime occurred.  During the day of the 20th, the NWS issued a SWS for the day for a few inches of snow, then issued a WWA then issued a WSW for later that evening we were forecasted to have a few inches at most, then the band of fury came through, we ended up with 13.5" of snow from that system

6 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

My storm was back in December 2010, when the surprise of a lifetime occurred.  During the day of the 20th, the NWS issued a SWS for the day for a few inches of snow, then issued a WWA then issued a WSW for later that evening we were forecasted to have a few inches at most, then the band of fury came through, we ended up with 13.5" of snow from that system

That was a good surprise event for you. I remember that well. 

On 1/17/2018 at 3:54 PM, JC-CT said:

After today's debacle, I was reminiscing about one of my favorite storms - December 29th-30th, 2012. Those along the MA shore might have suppressed the memory of this storm, as we all may do for today's. In my hood it gave a belated Christmas gift of about 12" of heavy snow.

What I remember most clearly was the biggest, fattest aggregates I have ever seen fall at a moderate rate or greater, before or since.

And then there was that god-awful warm and boring stretch from that point on for several weeks, where every single storm seemed to show up in the long range on the Euro, only to cave to the GFS in the mid range and end up going through the meat grinder of the uber-progressive flow. Until one day...

Here is the radar loop that I spent most of the afternoon putting together. Be sure to thank my boss.

2012.12.29-30_zpsbozj6y9e.gif

Would love to see the loop but^^^

the only storm that pleasantly surprised me was the april storm that topped off the 95-96 winter...i remember thinking it would never cool enough for big snows...i was ar ccsu and it was like 47 when the first sprinkles began

by the time i got back home in bristol ct it was 36 and white rain

woke up in middle of night to crashing thunder and vivid lightening and 3/hr rates....ended up with a 10 inch paste job....awesome way to end a season

I have a few good radar loops of this one on my home computer, I'll have to post them when back home. It trended hard in the final 24-36 hours I recall....it wasn't looking like much and then boom....IIRC, the RPM actually scored the coup on it.

27 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

the only storm that pleasantly surprised me was the april storm that topped off the 95-96 winter...i remember thinking it would never cool enough for big snows...i was ar ccsu and it was like 47 when the first sprinkles began

by the time i got back home in bristol ct it was 36 and white rain

woke up in middle of night to crashing thunder and vivid lightening and 3/hr rates....ended up with a 10 inch paste job....awesome way to end a season

You sure that was 96? I don’t recall TSSN in that one.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

yup it was absolutely april 96...it was some of the best tssn i have ever seen....well i have only seen it 3 times ....that storm produced up to 20 inches plus higher els and eastern inland zones....

jan 83,feb 88 and 4/96

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think there was TSSN down in CT/RI in that one. I remember N foster got like 18-19" or something in a pretty short amount of time.

Though his account sounds more like Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 than it does the 2nd April '96 storm with temps in the mid to upper 40s at go-time. Apr '96 was mostly in the 30s...maybe a few low 40s. I recall block island started as snow in the 2nd April '96 storm.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think there was TSSN down in CT/RI in that one. I remember N foster got like 18-19" or something in a pretty short amount of time.

Though his account sounds more like Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 than it does the 2nd April '96 storm with temps in the mid to upper 40s at go-time. Apr '96 was mostly in the 30s...maybe a few low 40s. I recall block island started as snow in the 2nd April '96 storm.

it was well in the 40s....it was warmer inland than coast

the april fools storm was nothing great out in central ct....we had over a foot but it was 1/hr rates no tssn....it wasn't at all the event you guys had...just like feb 78....totally different experiences eastern zones

16 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That was a good surprise event for you. I remember that well. 

When people say it never snows on the cape they're wrong. Roughly once every three years the cape gets its own significant, private snowstorm. Official records are not kept so this statement cannot verified with facts but it's safe to say all points on the cape average more snow than block island, and the entire immediate south coast from exit 90 in se Connecticut all along the immediate Rhode island south coastline. Plus 24+inch blizzards occur on the cape with some regularity and I am unaware of any storms in recent memory ever dumping two feet plus in Groton, beaches of westerly or Narragansett, Newport, or block island. Nantucket also had a 31 inch storm discussed in the ku snow anthology.

Does anyone have stats of the April 1996 snowstorm? Box didn't begin chronicling snow data until 1997. Now I can only find data on their site dating back to 2009-2010. The Yankees played Kansas city in the snow on opening day. It was in the 30s but it didn't snow heavy enough to accumulate in the Bronx but farther east parts of queens had several inches when the sun went down.

This will always be my favorite.  17 years old at the time, and getting plastered with close to 18" of snow on October 4th, just a short time after Summer ended was awesome (this when I lived south of Albany).  It happened on a Sunday morning so there was no school for the entire week due power and tree issues. 
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/05/us/early-snowstorm-covers-northeast.html?pagewanted=all

A close second would be April Fools storm of 1997 the first day living in my new apartment in Boston.   Not too distant 3rd would be the blizzard the year before (January, 1996) when I was living in Washington DC.

I always want to throw the March 1993 Super storm in the mix when I was living in Rhode Island but the taint down there killed it for me.

There are a few others for honorable mention: a chaotic Charlotte, North Carolina storm at the end of February 2004 (maybe top 5 storm for that area all time?).  Was a pretty unreal and chaotic event for that region that I saw first hand as I was at the airport watching the cots being laid out for all of the stranded travelers.   Another snow storm in Seattle in the mid 2000's was awesome too, especially to see them not salt the hell out of the streets.  Finally, a large April Storm living in the Albany area in the early 1980's.  Maybe 1982?  Mid April and about 16 inches fell.

3 hours ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Does anyone have stats of the April 1996 snowstorm? Box didn't begin chronicling snow data until 1997. Now I can only find data on their site dating back to 2009-2010. The Yankees played Kansas city in the snow on opening day. It was in the 30s but it didn't snow heavy enough to accumulate in the Bronx but farther east parts of queens had several inches when the sun went down.

In 1982 the Yanks' home opener was snowed out.  Game time conditions: 25°, SN+, 6" new.  It's about the only true-powder April event I find in NYC records, certainly the coldest for significant April accum.

Also the best bust I'll ever witness.  Late evening on 4/6, the CAR forecast added "flurries" to the earlier 20s/windy for the 7th.  Less than 3 hours later we had SN+ in Ft. Kent.  The 26.3" at CAR was a new 24-hr snowfall record (since broken) and while I only "measured" 17.0" at home (winds gusting 50+ make measuring a mockery), that storm created the biggest drifts ever in my yard.  Our black Chevette was totally buried, not even a bump showing, just a small patch of dark on its lee side. 

6 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Speaking of forgotten storms, if anyone has the stats of the January and February 1987 cape blizzards please post. Unless you lived on the cape I don't think many remember. Veterans day 1987 is also forgotten.

Chatham, MA had 28 inches in the Feb 9-10, 1987 blizzard. They also had over a foot in the Jan 26, 1987 blizzard. The worst part about the Feb '87 blizzard on the cape was that for the first 2/3rds of the storm, it was a massive paste job...with high winds. Tons of power outages. Then anything wet froze at the end of it when temps fell into the teens. Big gradient too...by the time you got to Boston, it was just a few inches.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Was only a 4 inch storm   after Christmas 2012 but it was a beaut Clark

FB_IMG_1516393417710.jpg

I thought you got more than 4 inches in that?

I know I had over 9 and I think Kevin had 10"+. You didn't mix either...maybe dryslotted? I wouldn't think it from what I remember, but maybe there was a small screw zone there.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Chatham, MA had 28 inches in the Feb 9-10, 1987 blizzard. They also had over a foot in the Jan 26, 1987 blizzard. The worst part about the Feb '87 blizzard on the cape was that for the first 2/3rds of the storm, it was a massive paste job...with high winds. Tons of power outages. Then anything wet froze at the end of it when temps fell into the teens. Big gradient too...by the time you got to Boston, it was just a few inches.

Yes. The February 1987 Chatham blizzard was the first winter storm I can ever remember to be hyped to levels that are common now but weren't then. This event began on a Sunday night where it started as rain but was supposed to start as snow. I'm not sure anyone west of New Bedford had greater than 6.

Amounts were more evenly distributed in the January storm along the south coast. This too began on a Sunday night, of the super bowl.

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I thought you got more than 4 inches in that?

I know I had over 9 and I think Kevin had 10"+. You didn't mix either...maybe dryslotted? I wouldn't think it from what I remember, but maybe there was a small screw zone there.

I had 11.75 Dec 29th 2012 , think that was Jan 2nd 2010? 

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had 11.75 Dec 29th 2012 , think that was Jan 2nd 2010? 

Oh ok that total makes way more sense, you said above with the drift pic that it was after Christmas 2012.

But yeah, the New Years event of 2010 would make a lot more sense for 4 inches there...plus it was windy as hell so the drifts would have been awesome.

Archived