Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteor over lower Michigan

Jonger

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I heard a loud boom and I was like what the heck? Everyone in my family group text started asking if everyone else heard a boom. Within minutes of course social media was all over it. Tons of security and dash can vids popping up. I had a lamp on because I was reading something so I didn't see the light. So mad because I rarelly have a lamp on right over my head. 

I think you better turn down your magnet for a while, it's so strong you have meteors coming at us now!

1 hour ago, Freshgeek said:

Eh, it more cool in principle than on the video itself

Wow that was pretty sweet.  Of course it just had to land on a lake lol.  Hopefully it didn't break through the ice and into the lake.  

EDIT:  Just saw in another vid that it created a 7 meter wide hole in the ice, and eventually the scientists excavated it from the bottom of the lake. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd definitely be scanning my yard for fragments, especially in Michigan. Besides the possibility of owning something that is pretty unique, even the smallest fragments can sell for hundreds of dollars, let alone something a little bigger.

Snow blowers and shovels have probably become hard to come by in southeast MI, and now metal detectors will be flying off the shelves lolz.

9 hours ago, slow poke said:

I think you better turn down your magnet for a while, it's so strong you have meteors coming at us now!

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Snow blowers and shovels have probably become hard to come by in southeast MI, and now metal detectors will be flying off the shelves lolz.

15 hours ago, blackrock said:

Not only are snowstorms attracted to Detroit...but so are space rocks. I must take this to the Complaint thread.... :P:o:) 

You guys are a trip :lol:. Its not even been a week, but fwiw SE MI has been the opposite of jackpot for the winter weather since last Friday. Closer to the screwzone. Obviously for winter as whole still the magnet. I just hope this meteor doesn't screw with it once we shift back to a more wintry pattern after this little break coming up. :ph34r: I mean if I had my way Id be like Snow Miser and blanket the entire sub in tons of snow, but when the chips are down the backyard comes first. :P

19 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've watched almost every video of that one. People thought it was a bomb. 

19 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

That was actually the event I had in mind. I think it blew up in mid air and the generated shockwave shook the houses and actually broke a whole bunch of windows and stuff.

Sure did, my wife's uncle was walking in the city and got knocked off his feet by the shockwave! And yes, they found a chunk and included bits of it in the Olymic Gold Medals as a special rememberance for their winter Olympics in 2014. Good thing it didn't come in at a steeper approach causing a greater explosion like the 1908 event. Tho that was believed to be a small Comet

5 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Sure did, my wife's uncle was walking in the city and got knocked off his feet by the shockwave! And yes, they found a chunk and included bits of it in the Olymic Gold Medals as a special rememberance for their winter Olympics in 2014. Good thing it didn't come in at a steeper approach causing a greater explosion like the 1908 event. Tho that was believed to be a small Comet

Wow that's pretty cool.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

I'd take the week off from work and scour the landscape until I found some fragments. A recovered meteorite with such a widely documented fall is $$$. 

Rumors are that people are already scouring around for it. I want to head out to a few of our larger lakes and try my luck.

2 hours ago, slow poke said:

Really? I thought I herd it was around New Haven, around 25 mile road and Card road area. How they know that I have no idea but just what I had herd.

Many of those reports were from social media. NASA said southern Livingston county.

I have seen two in the daytime.

One time I was getting out of my car at my parents and one was burning up for quite a while... maybe 5 seconds of streaking and there were sparks and smoke plumes.

I also spotted one about 5 years ago that burned up to my south. Neither had a news report.

3 hours ago, King James said:

2 more last night. One in Indiana and one in Alberta. Always a possibility that we are in the path of something we cannot stop. I wonder about those two false missile alerts (Hawaii and japan)as well if there is any connection

There was actually one just south of Dayton according to my local news this morning.

We've just passed though the Quadrantids shower last week.  This is a major meteor shower derived from an asteroid as opposed to a comet.  They are known for very bight colored fireballs and only recently, the last few decades has the source been discovered.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if these were associated with them.

Archived