Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Meteor over lower Michigan

Jonger

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

That one in Russia a few years ago blew up as it hit the atmosphere and still could be felt at ground level.

That was actually the event I had in mind. I think it blew up in mid air and the generated shockwave shook the houses and actually broke a whole bunch of windows and stuff.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've watched almost every video of that one. People thought it was a bomb. 

Yeah I worked 16hrs that day/night, and when I got home that had just happened.  Pretty incredible to watch.  

I love how at the 35 sec mark you can see it suddenly appear in the sky.

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I worked 16hrs that day/night, and when I got home that had just happened.  Pretty incredible to watch.  

I love how at the 35 sec mark you can see it suddenly appear in the sky.

Thank God Russians have an infatuation with dashcams. Pretty sure law requires them actually.

5 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

That was actually the event I had in mind. I think it blew up in mid air and the generated shockwave shook the houses and actually broke a whole bunch of windows and stuff.

Yep.  That one was perhaps the most significant on Earth since the 1908 event.

I heard a loud boom and I was like what the heck? Everyone in my family group text started asking if everyone else heard a boom. Within minutes of course social media was all over it. Tons of security and dash can vids popping up. I had a lamp on because I was reading something so I didn't see the light. So mad because I rarelly have a lamp on right over my head. 

18 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Congrats to all who got to see or feel the effects of the meteor this evening.  I wonder if any of the Russian meteor was found after if exploded in that incident.  I got to see a meteor (bolide) like this in Whitley county IN in the early 90's.

Yeah, there was stuff found from the Russia meteor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

25 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I caught a glimpse of the flash when looking out my living room window this evening! Thought it was a transformer exploding at first, but then realized it wasn't after locals started calling the police thinking it was a "UFO" according to the Hillsdale Daily News lol. 

What possibly compels people to call the police about something like this is beyond me.  

2 hours ago, Indystorm said:

I wonder if any of the Russian meteor was found after if exploded in that incident.  

On my phone, but not only where fragments recovered,  but there is security footage of fragments impacting someone's backyard. It's the first time that a meteor impact had been caught on camera. 

Archived