• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
ENSO

jaxjagman

Super Nina winter blowtorch. Fades by spring. No severe. Guess who's despondent? Finally threw in the flag no chase trip.

Since the Plains May has been DOA 5/7 years in a row, it's time to take Dixie seriously and just chase around here in April. 

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 2:55 PM, nrgjeff said:

Super Nina winter blowtorch. Fades by spring. No severe. Guess who's despondent? Finally threw in the flag no chase trip.

Since the Plains May has been DOA 5/7 years in a row, it's time to take Dixie seriously and just chase around here in April. 

Sorry to hear of the no trip,i know you look forward to this every year :(

Its been a suck year so far for us here as well.Kids out of school(tho i think some kids might be happy about that..lol)No real graduation this year.

My wife also is going through breast cancer and doing chemo right now,not a great time for this with the CV :( Just saying also,its never a good time for breast cancer either way.Praying we make it through this anyways

• Sad 1

Yeah I think we'll Nina this winter. KW will delay things a bit for summer. However the eastern Pac is in full easterly mode. Ventrice put something on Twitter including the Pac and Atlantic. I didn't comment, but it screams hot humid SER this summer.

My previous negativity aside, La Nina would tee up more Dixie Alley severe next spring. Saving it for the Plains seems silly. Guess we chase the Jungle in April!

Finally, Jax, this is all petty stuff compared to cancer. Praying your wife beats that, and praying for your whole family's strength through the battle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Yeah I think we'll Nina this winter. KW will delay things a bit for summer. However the eastern Pac is in full easterly mode. Ventrice put something on Twitter including the Pac and Atlantic. I didn't comment, but it screams hot humid SER this summer.

My previous negativity aside, La Nina would tee up more Dixie Alley severe next spring. Saving it for the Plains seems silly. Guess we chase the Jungle in April!

Finally, Jax, this is all petty stuff compared to cancer. Praying your wife beats that, and praying for your whole family's strength through the battle.

Thanks

I saw his post this morning

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1264525706215796736/photo/1

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks reasonable. After the current KW passes through the Western Hemisphere, the Pacific looks open for more tropical easterlies. Then La Nina might tip its hand. We are past the spring predictability barrier. Subsurface obs and model forecasts all line up well for La Nina in winter. 

• Like 1

Experimental JAMSTEC Oceans

Deleted  by accident i believe last months so i'll re-post it here.The SST'S in the ENSO regions are much cooler this update.Quite a few ensemble members this month shows a stronger Nina,but basically looks neutral to weak.But still quite a bit of spread between models

SINTEX_F_Familiy_Climate_Prediction_|JAMSTEC.png

SINTEX_F_Familiy_Climate_Prediction_|JAMSTEC (1).png

SINTEX_F_Familiy_Climate_Prediction_|JAMSTEC (2).png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CFS shows a Kelvin Wave moving across the IDL today,this should be into  the Eastern Pac into Wk3 of July then possibly into the Caribbean/Western Atlantic towards the end of the month .Could possibly kick up some TG,something to watch anyways if you are into the tropics.

Towards the end of the month, it looks like the westerlies are going to kick in the IO which will in case strenghten the MJO signal into the Western IO (PHASE1).This seemingly right now would/could kick up another KW,tho no signs quite yet.

ENSO forecast:
Observation shows that a weak La Niña is developing at present. The SINTEX-F predicts that the weak La Niña-like condition will persist in the latter half of this year.
Indian Ocean forecast:
Observation shows that the tropical Indian Ocean is warmer-than-normal at present. The ensemble meam suggests that the warmer condition will persist in autumn, then will return to a neutral-state from winter. However, there is a large uncertainty in the prediction as some of the members (specially, of the SINTEX-F2-3DVAR system) actually predict a weak negative IOD event in autumn.
Regional forecast:
On a seasonal scale, the SINTEX-F predicts that most part of the globe will experience a warmer-than-normal condition in boreal autumn, except for southwestern Australia, India, and some parts of northern Africa. In boreal winter, the model also predicts that most part of the globe will experience a warmer-than-normal condition, except for western Brazil, western Australia, India, and some parts of the Indochina Peninsula.
As regards to the seasonally averaged rainfall in boreal autumn, a drier-than-normal condition is predicted for some parts of the South American Continent, southern Africa, West Africa, China, some parts of Europe. In contrast, most part of Northern America, Mexico, India, East Africa, Southeast Asia, Philippines, Indonesia, northern Europe, and northern Russia will experience a wetter-than-normal condition. In boreal winter, a wetter-than-normal condition is predicted for northwestern coastal area of Canada, a northern part of the South American Continent, northern Australia, western Europe, Philippines, eastern Indonesia, and Madagascar. In contrast, southern U.S.A., southern part of the South American Continent, central Africa, Spain, Portugal, western Indonesia, eastern China will experience a drier-than-normal condition.
The model predicts most part of Japan will experience slightly warmer-than-normal condition in autumn as a seasonal average. In winter, most part of Japan will experience warmer- and drier-than-normal condition.

SINTEX_F_Familiy_Climate_Prediction_|JAMSTEC.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, Carvers Gap said:

So, is modeling correcting towards a weaker La Nina.  Saw that mentioned as a possibility in the MA winter thread?  If so, that is a significant.

That’s what it looking like right now,  we’ve got a 60% chance of La Niña for the fall, and 55% chance of it persisting through the winter.  And yeah definitely significant if it pans out, we do well in La Niña situations here snow wise.  At least for  Memphis, I need to look at the numbers for east Tn to see how they match up compared to the Memphis numbers.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 9:45 PM, jaxjagman said:

NMME is showing a  Modoki moderate Nina in Jan

Lead-5-tmpsfc.png

The idea of the colder anomalies being more central/west-based as we head through later winter and into spring is worrisome.  That's how you get a +TNI pattern.  You guys research Trans-Nino Index and its relation to tornado activity.  August PDO is in now, -1.25.  Combination of significantly negative PDO, a decent La Nina, and potential for a significantly +TNI pattern because of the Nina ending central/west-based definitely supports Jeff's comments in this thread and other ones about being concerned about late winter and spring severe weather in Dixie Alley.

• Like 6