• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
ENSO

jaxjagman

ENSO is getting a second wind,those cooler waters that has been showing into the thermocline are getting mixed out.

Equatorial Pacific Temperature Depth Anomaly Animation

I suspect also as the MJO gets into the Maritime you might see these WWB get picked up and get stronger than what they have been showing towards the middle of June.Typical models wanting to kill off the MJO to quick with the ENSO

uwnd850.cfs.eqtr.png

On 6/2/2019 at 11:06 PM, jaxjagman said:

ENSO is getting a second wind,those cooler waters that has been showing into the thermocline are getting mixed out.

I suspect also as the MJO gets into the Maritime you might see these WWB get picked up and get stronger than what they have been showing towards the middle of June.Typical models wanting to kill off the MJO to quick with the ENSO

uwnd850.cfs.eqtr.png

Models are killing off the MJO to fast,typical bias with the ENSO,If this were into the summer time(More around July) we'd probably see a big warm up in the Valley.

Tropical Monitoring    North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies.png

On 6/22/2019 at 9:23 PM, jaxjagman said:

ENSO looks more West,central based right now with warmer waters down in the depth.Almost a "Modoki" look but not quite yet

Enso took a hit the last pass of MJO and CCKW.Still looks Nino.The next MJO pass should/could possibly knock the snot out of it again especially with any  decent CCKW

• 2 weeks later...
  • IMME is showing close to a NINA by Jan,really if you look at the thermocline's which are now inching the cooler waters above 100m you have to wonder what the next CCKW/MJO will do to it,and even the ones afterwards  still more neutral but still negative /neutral,it still looks like it has a chance to be more Nina pattern into winter.With the warm SST's off the west coast of Fl into east coast,the IMME would surely suggest an SER.Good news we have a few months to figure out if it's wrong ,could be right tho

AwesomeScreenshot-IMME-tmpsfc-lead6-png-720-550-2019-07-15-00-07-97.png

• Like 1

Probably won't find many analogs for this ENSO.Generally when Nino starts in "ASO" it comes off of least a moderate Nino or develops into a moderate Nino latter months.I looked back on Webberwx and the closest i found was back into 1880.This was a historic time frame with blizzards into the Central Plains into especially the N/Plains with historic snow drifts  with blizzards.tho yeah we live in a different era compared to back then,,the tropics were practically dead during this time frame in hurricane season in NA,maybe it's comparable to now ?Who knows.If it is we'll probably  say hello to a decent SER this winter

AwesomeScreenshot-Ensemble-Oceanic-Nino-Index-2019-07-20-17-07-84.png

Edit:I put the wrong tropical map up,should have been 1881 not 1880

AwesomeScreenshot-1881-png-1075-631-2019-07-21-15-07-52.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Yeah, I can see how you would think La Nina based on the current subsurface, but the atmosphere is still very much El Nino. 

Right,CPC last update has no confidence in a Nina.Even down into the thermocline the last update from CPC is warmer.Nino conditions aren't going to go away any time soon it seems.

AwesomeScreenshot-IRI-International-Research-Institute-for-Climate-and-Society-2019-July-Quick-Look-2019-07-21-17-07-67.png

1.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

Wouldnt be bad if it was trustworthy at this point

12345.png

Good find.  Interesting that it has an Nina for an SST and a trough in the East at 500.  Weak La Nina's are not always bad in my neck of the woods.  Strong Nina's are pretty much terrible.  The weak ones produce some serious extremes in temps.  About the only thing that limits snow amounts are years when weak La Ninas produce long spells of precip-less weeks.  I do wonder if the atmosphere will experiences a very mild hangover from the El Nino early during the winter and then(Niña...edit) lock-in during late winter.  The warm water near the GOA/NE PAC should cause an interesting PDO index.  As mentioned in the pattern discussion thread, this year may not have a ton of analogs.   Does the Cansips work with an analog package at that range?  Interestingly, the Cansips has a fairly warm bias IMHO.  So, that is an interesting 500 look.  It would be pretty wild if the West gets a perfect setup and the cold goes East...would balance out last year where they got a ton of snow during a perfect set-up for the East.

• Like 1

The SST forecast looks too cold globally. Been a long time since that much BN SST were observed. Verbatim that SST forecast correlates with the 500 mb forecast; but, I don't believe either one.

I could see slight BN SST tropical Pac. However I don't believe the IO or mid-latitude projections. North Pac has a shot at verifying though. With Nina that's variable, and many headaches forecasting week by week in winter.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

The SST forecast looks too cold globally. Been a long time since that much BN SST were observed. Verbatim that SST forecast correlates with the 500 mb forecast; but, I don't believe either one.

I could see slight BN SST tropical Pac. However I don't believe the IO or mid-latitude projections. North Pac has a shot at verifying though. With Nina that's variable, and many headaches forecasting week by week in winter.

LOL.  Yeah, I probably should have looked at that a bit more closely.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

The eastern subsurface stuff may only be a glitch.. models going la nina not right imo.

Believe this is from Upwelling from a KW.CPC is still behind the TAO around 5-days it seems,Think you are talking about the CPC?

https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-tao/cover.cgi?P1=EQ&P2=a&P3=a&P4=a&P5=a&P6=a&P7=a&P8=a&P9=a&P10=a&P11=t&P12=mean&P13=20190730-August-1-2019&P14=a&P15=0&P16=32&P17=500&P18=0&P19=t&P20=anom&P21=20190730-August-1-2019&P22=a&P23=-12&P24=12&P25=300&P26=0&P27=tt&script=disdel/dep-lon-5day-disdel-v75.csh

CPC finally updated it's ETA'S today.

The MJO is headed towards the Maritime upcoming.,GEFS and Euro, one of the two are lost with even the starting point today.Looks like the strongest typhoon of the season is going to hit around S/Korea/ SW Japan then into the Sea of Japan in East Asia,around next weekend but that could change until then

Looks like a potential KW is headed towards the IDL with the MJO into week-2 of August,after that everything seems to look murky,but this should effect  the ENSO upcoming

AwesomeScreenshot-www-cpc-ncep-noaa-gov-products-analysis_monitoring-enso_update-wkxzteq.shtml-2019-08-02_5_30.png

cansips_z500a_nhem_6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1