Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Obs

EastKnox

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am assuming its pretty much impossible to link up with the heavy flow coming out the gulf right now? I guess that flow will start heading east soon after another hour or two (?)

Yeah the band will slowly be moving east over the next hour or two.

I went for a little “jebwalk” and the wind cuts right thru you. 18 degrees and I have right at 1” of graupel/snow. WCYB just did a live video and mentioned how rare it was to see graupel in a storm like this.

2 minutes ago, RawCrabMeat said:

The snow plow/brine truck that just went through my street failed to scoop up any snow, and left a sheet of solid ice behind it.

I'd have to think the snow is about wrapped up here. We were already living on borrowed time with that last band that came through.

Anyone on the streets before noon is going to be rolling the dice as people are going to be wrecking like crazy.  

10 minutes ago, Bango said:

What an odd storm.  It seems like places that got nailed had the extreme ratios and late night starts...even Birmingham looks like they are about to get clobbered shortly

does anyone know if the band going through birmingham is supposed to hold together as it moves east?  it looks pretty hefty and actually expanding as of now

1234; I am east of you by a mere 10 miles, and I ve noticed you’ve been under a nice stationary band in gc...I kept waiting for the shift east but looks like it’s finally fizzling 

Yeah unfortunately the band fell apart as it moved east. It didn’t add a whole lot anyways. I think we are finally done now. The storm will ramp up for the mountains and east of the Apps now. The stretch from Birmingham to Atlanta seems to be really over-performing tonight. There is going to be some surprised people in ATL for the morning commute.

7 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

Yeah unfortunately the band fell apart as it moved east. It didn’t add a whole lot anyways. I think we are finally done now. The storm will ramp up for the mountains and east of the Apps now. The stretch from Birmingham to Atlanta seems to be really over-performing tonight. There is going to be some surprised people in ATL for the morning commute.

Still have some light snow/flurries here, but very edge is finally moving thru. Final total here 1.5", with a solid coating of ice and about 1" snow on roads. The RGEM did fairly decent with the snow toward BHM/ATL area, if I remember correctly. I believe a lot of the area experience more graupel than realised, and it cut down on some of the totals a little. I remember someone posting in the storm thread that the 15z surface map had backed the front over the central valley and became stationary. Think this allowed the every so slightest warm nose to creep over the valley causing the graupel. 

My obs match those of DWagner. Dusting fell Tuesday. That overnight ribbon did nothing. It was either virga or not placed right by surrounding radar. Correct, Hytop never works.

As for those crap snowflakes, apparently a quality dendrite growth zone aloft never established. They are too big to be pixie dust, so will call them crap flakes.

I had better luck with roads. East Brainerd Rd. to the Interstates are just dry in Chattanooga. No promises with side roads. Breeze helped roads, but oh that wind chill is brutal out there.

Just got to work in Ducktown. It’s 6 degrees and snowing lightly. Main roads are fine everywhere. The backroads in Chattanooga were also OK. Outside Hamilton county they look awful. There’s about 3/4” here. 

BTW, what is the requirement for a wind chill advisory from MRX? We are conspicuously missing one and the wind chill has been between -5 and -10 all morning. 

12 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

Just got to work in Ducktown. It’s 6 degrees and snowing lightly. Main roads are fine everywhere. The backroads in Chattanooga were also OK. Outside Hamilton county they look awful. There’s about 3/4” here. 

BTW, what is the requirement for a wind chill advisory from MRX? We are conspicuously missing one and the wind chill has been between -5 and -10 all morning. 

I think it’s -5 or lower, but yeah, I wondered the same thing during the last cold outbreak a couple weeks ago. Several times we were meeting those numbers, yet no advisory.

Huge flakes have been falling in Greeneville the past hour or so.  I had about an inch on the deck at 8:00 AM. The huge feather flakes started falling shortly after that measurement. Just measured on deck at 9:30 and now have 2 inches of fluff. Those large high ratio flakes can add up in a hurry.

46 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I have .75 here in Kingsport.  I would guess they are about the same.  Maybe tnweathernut and chime in on that.  

I had about the same at the house in north JC (between Boones Creek & Gray, just west of I-26), 3/4 of an inch.  I would add that it appeared there was a bit more in south Johnson City as I came through to my office in Erwin.  Maybe 1-2 there?  At my office in Erwin, we had about 2" and my office manager from Chuckey said they had around 3" or so.

Side roads are all snow packed (though fairly easy to drive on) and even the interstates had quite a bit of snow and ice coming south out of Johnson City toward Asheville.  One of those deals where it looks like the roads had more snow than the yards.....

All said and done here in Oak Ridge, we ended up with about 2 inches.  I made it into work around 9:30 this morning and the side streets are ice and snow covered.  PERFECT for sledding!  :) 

NOAA has us with snow showers in several days. Hopefully we will be following another storm soon! 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived