• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SkincareMumbai
    Newest Member
    SkincareMumbai

1/16-1/17 Event OBS

2 hours ago, WidreMann said:

Two feet of snow under the deck. Fascinating.

Just amazing what you guys are getting.  Rarely come to the Southeastern forum but just had to see what was going on with this storm.  It has been over performing all the way from Paducah through TN to the coast.  It is so fun hearing everyones excitement and stories.  Glad you all scored!

• Like 1

Finally made it to Nags Head via hwy 64 E.  It was a rather harrowing drive through the convective banding that set up near Columbia and points to the E of there.  It was blowing and blinding SN+ in that band, where I could barely see 25 feet in front of me, didn't help that the road was completely covered and pitch dark along that rather desolate hwy!  

f6bce0b0-b030-4b7b-8842-5aee7877016c.gif

• Like 2

Columbia down to Belhaven and then west to Bath has just been hammered.....will be interesting to see the totals coming from there but they sat under some seriously heavy snow bands for HOURS......going to end up having a foot snow on the ground to my west and east with a measly 2-3" here.

• Like 1

Temp has dropped to 10.7 at the house. Grid forecast has me getting up to 36. Definitely a marshmallow world outside. I told the kids today was going to be the day to go sledding. Starting tomorrow the warm up starts. 

Based on the climate reports, official snowfall totals are:

RDU: 5.9" (daily record)

GSO: 7.0" (daily record)

AVL: 2.1" - 2.0" on 1/17 (daily record) and 0.1" on 1/16

CLT: 3.5" (daily record)

GSP: 3.1" (daily record)

ILM: T

ORF: 2.5" + still snowing after midnight (daily record)

RIC: 2.0"

RNK: 2.1"

LYH: 4.0"

DAN: 8.8"

ATL: 2.4" - 2.3" on 1.17 (daily record) and 0.1" on 1/16 (daily record)

AHN: 1.1" (daily record)

CSG: 2.0" (daily record)

MCN: 1.0" (daily record)

I'd say 6 - 8" in Kitty Hawk. Believe we started with ice pellets around 8pm last night. The wind blew hard last night and I've seen drifts over 2 feet tall around structures. My only complaint is that in came in overnight and I couldn't see it as the event unfolded.

1 minute ago, alhooks13 said:

I'd say 6 - 8" in Kitty Hawk. Believe we started with ice pellets around 8pm last night. The wind blew hard last night and I've seen drifts over 2 feet tall around structures. My only complaint is that in came in overnight and I couldn't see it as the event unfolded.

Very cool! I'm going to Kitty Hawk for my summer vacation this year. Disney World last year; this year we're toning it down. Love the Outer Banks. 

9 minutes ago, alhooks13 said:

Awesome , congrats . I used to go to kill devil hills every year . Enjoy your snow 

Based on the climate reports, official snowfall totals are:

RDU: 5.9" (daily record)

GSO: 7.0" (daily record)

AVL: 2.1" - 2.0" on 1/17 (daily record) and 0.1" on 1/16

CLT: 3.5" (daily record)

GSP: 3.1" (daily record)

ILM: T

ORF: 2.5" + still snowing after midnight (daily record)

RIC: 2.0"

RNK: 2.1"

LYH: 4.0"

DAN: 8.8"

ATL: 2.4" - 2.3" on 1.17 (daily record) and 0.1" on 1/16 (daily record)

AHN: 1.1" (daily record)

CSG: 2.0" (daily record)

MCN: 1.0" (daily record)

The one day record for ORF is 17.5”. They didn’t set a record unless you mean for that particular day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my old hometown of Roxboro got reallllllly close to a foot.  Parents in durham got 9 inches.  People downplayed temps before the event.  But they mattered a good bit when it came to accumulation totals

Would love to have some historical context once the dust settles, but we rarely have a Murphy to Manteo event.....especially with these totals across NC.  Could be one of the biggest storms ever?

3 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

So, was Snowmaggedon January 2018 a glorified Clipper, Arctic Bondary Frontal Passage, or both?

Arctic Boundry Frontal Passage would be my guess

2 minutes ago, tramadoc said:

Pretty uniform totals all over my yard from multiple measurements.

After the last storm and this one we are WELL OVER climo.

I think most of both Carolinas are, I know I am (climo for me is .6”)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

So, was Snowmaggedon January 2018 a glorified Clipper, Arctic Bondary Frontal Passage, or both?

I like to put this in the group of storms that drop in from the northwest (at 500mb).  The weaker versions of the storms are deemed clippers.  The stronger ones like this one can be termed Manitoba Maulers (dropping sharply southeast out of Manitoba)...this one fits that moniker

• Like 3