• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

1/16-1/17 Event OBS

21 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Nice! clt wasted alot of  moisture on rain this morning due to temps. North and west of clt again proving climo. I thought this was the storm I was going to get more than you wow, and queencity. Nope!

Mooresville here I come! :D

Thanks, Niner.  It's never been anything amazing as far as rates today, but just slow and steady and beautiful.

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

Radar filling in, temps dropping, a backend dusting? A pivot miracle

Here comes round two?!?!

Does anyone possibly have a video of what heavy snow looks like? I’m beginning to think that I truly have no idea what moderate or heavy snow looks like because I haven’t seen anything other than light snow.  I know that makes me sound like an idiot though.

Storm total of 1.1" in Fuquay. Rate is just under 1" per hour but the ceiling is still pretty high and vis is decent. Still big flakes, but a little smaller than about 30 min ago.

3 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

Does anyone possibly have a video of what heavy snow looks like? I’m beginning to think that I truly have no idea what moderate or heavy snow looks like because I haven’t seen anything other than light snow.  I know that makes me sound like an idiot though.

1 minute ago, thunderwolf said:

Storm total of 1.1" in Fuquay. Rate is just under 1" per hour but the ceiling is still pretty high and vis is decent. Still big flakes, but a little smaller than about 30 min ago.

I'm near John Heister chevy and my roads are clear.  How are yours/

absolutely ripping out there right now... probably heaviest snow of the storm so far or close to it. Hopefully that last band in the foothills can pivot through the CLT area a little later to put the last bit of icying on this bad boy

What's the best way to track where the rain/snow line is at?  I know which side I am on no doubt but it has to be getting close.

It is my analysis that the yellow/red on the Precipitation Depiction on radar scope in southern Wake is very heavy, albeit, WET snow.  Therefore it is having a harder time sticking to roads and driveways.  This should change as the colder air moves in toward 4-5.  

I'm over 3" now and it's still coming down. My uncle over in Durham is closing in on 6" (from what he said). RAP is still really interesting in giving the Triangle 5-6" more. We'll see...  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjtysinger said:

Still rain in Spring Lake, will be lucky to see a dusting.

Yes, we have wasted way more QPF in rain than I ever expected.  If we were further down south in Cumberland I would expect it, but not up here.

1 minute ago, ragtop50 said:

I have also noticed that the NWS has added accumulations for our area for tonight now in the forecast, 1 to 2 inches more.

I saw that as well.  Maybe front is slowing down even more.  I don’t buy their accumulation totals though.  I’ll be happy to see a good coating!

21 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Thanks, Niner.  It's never been anything amazing as far as rates today, but just slow and steady and beautiful.

Here comes round two?!?!

Same here, nothing amazing as far as rates, but steady and cold so most of it has counted. Slowing down now.

• Like 1

Not sure if we're exactly at heavy snow, but I can't see the trees on the other side of the road about a tenth or so of a mile away. Does that count?

I measured 4-5" about 30 minutes ago. I'll measure again in a few. Temperature seems to be around 32 or 33.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

Thank you for posting that!  Yeah, we have nothing like that!

I'm from Philly. Funny tidbit from that storm was the night before it looked like we'd see MAYBE 2 inches MAX. It was supposed to be a DC/MD/DE/SNJ special... A mesoscale band of heavy precip formed right over the city right before game time. I think the city got over 8" in a fairly short time span. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1