• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Queencitywx

1/16-1/17 Event OBS

Meanwhile, in the OTHER Winston, that little one in Georgia, we're at about 2" on the ground, 3" mounded on top of furniture and the previously-frozen-solid birdbath.

Bright clear gorgeous, with no new snow falling but it looks like it because of the wind blowing snow off branches.  Thankfully this doesn't look like the heavy wet stuff that'll break even more trees.  I haven't yet been able to get out there and finish chainsawing down the ones from December's 8".

11F around 8am, now 16F in the sun.

• Like 1

1.5" here, I'll take it. Got down to 13F, maybe the coldest accumulating snow I have seen in 35 years, also the first time I remember that the Atlanta area has received two 1" plus snow events in the same season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Wow, you must have much better rates than I have been getting in Hickory.  Is that a grass measurement?  Or are you measuring off something flat?

At 10:00 AM, I measured right at 3 inches.  Since snowfall began shortly after 3:00 AM, I'm therefore averaging slightly less than 0.5 in/hr here IMBY.  Steady light snow continues to fall, and by radar trends it doesn't appear to be letting up any time soon.  I originally thought it would end around by noon, but the change to a N-S orientation may delay the end of this event for me.  It's currently 29.5 over 28. 

I'm using a snow board its 2 foot by 2 foot and painted white. Made it a few years ago so I can could get better more accurate measurements.

1 minute ago, Duncana12 said:

I'm using a snow board its 2 foot by 2 foot and painted white. Made it a few years ago so I can could get better more accurate measurements.

Awesome!  I just cleared my measuring area since it's been over 6 hours of snowfall.  I wonder if you get enhancement from the South Mountains area.

Just now, calculus1 said:

Awesome!  I just cleared my measuring area since it's been over 6 hours of snowfall.  I wonder if you get enhancement from the South Mountains area.

I have often wondered that in past events. If so that's a nice bonus :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

Snow started here about 9:45am. Light at first, but went to a period of moderate snow for about 10min. Back to snow now. No rain at the onset here in the far northeast Piedmont. 30 degrees.

I think y'all will be surprised especially since you were able to get below freezing overnight unlike many of the other piedmont locales.