Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/16-1/17 Event OBS

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we're done for now in NE Cary just west of RDU, I measured 7" in the yard which is incredible! It's been great to follow a storm that finally panned out. I will say though, the number of near misses that we've had over the years have taught me far more about winter weather formation than I ever imagined.

Now we get to spend tomorrow digging ourselves out!

By far, one of the best storms I've seen in awhile. I was laughing at myself on Sunday for even following something that would give me a 1/2" at best. Ended up with 3 1/2". What made this storm for me was the daytime snow. It snow almost all day and still have light snow falling! 

Snow is starting back here as well,  most places around Danville are reporting between 8 and 9.5 inches. Only lived here about 3 years but this is the best storm I have experienced since the Christmas 2010 storm for many reasons.

1. Pleasant surprise- Even the HRRR, SREF, RGEM, NAM, etc was 3 or 4 inches too low on totals. EURO day before the storm had 2 to 3 inches. GFS had an inch or less..

2. Cold temps and quick accumulations- Temps were in the mid and upper 20s all event and ground temps were cold. This is the first storm I have had here that didnt have mixing or BL issues.

3. Region wide success- Weenies have rejoiced from Texas to VA. This winters forecast has been an epic fail from most including NOAA's vanilla la nina outlook. Warm and dry turned into record breaking cold and now above average snowfall for most of the southeast with 2 months or so left of snow chances.

I've been at work all day so haven't read through all 40 pages of obs but here on the NW side of Cumming we had about .75" or so, not quite an inch I don't think but close. More impressive part of today, IMO, was the cold. My high was only 26.3 and low was 11.4. I'm not sure when the last time I had a high that low, perhaps the February '96 cold outbreak. Pretty impressive! BTW, it was a bit of a scary drive to work this morning. Waited for the sun to come out but still slid a little.

We never really got cold enough for much snow to stick to the roads today.  But when the last band started to get here we were in the mid 20’s.  Now these flurries that won’t go away have added up enough to coat the roads white.  I thought tomorrow morning wasn’t going to be too bad.  Now it will probably be horrendous. 

Not one of my highest totals but man this has been a great storm. I've seen daytime snow twice this year. Hard to beat a winter like this and still over a month to go. This winter will be compared to the ones back in the good ol' days. Our kids kids will look back at 2017-2018 and say "Man, what a time to be alive"

#RatesOvercame

Archived