Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/16-1/17 Event OBS

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

I am in far West Cary a mile or so from the Chatham County line at the intersection of Pony Club Circle and Cary Glen Blvd And I just measured 5" accumulation. Still snowing heavy.

I'm 3/4 mile west of you and we measured 5" about 30 min ago.  Still snowing steady.

1 minute ago, Solak said:

Anyone know what the snow ratios have been? We're certainly not seeing 15-18:1 stuff in these pre-made snowmen falling from the sky!

Pretty sure we've had those types of ratios since late morning at least. We've been averaging about an 1" an hour since 11. 

3 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Despite a lack of returns overhead, it is snowing as heavily as it has all day! 

Same here!  I have a feeling that it will continue to snow for 3 more hours or so as the ull comes through. It often happens this way where heavy radar returns produce very little at the beginning of a storm but the opposite towards the end. We also have enhanced jet features and lots of lift. 

1 minute ago, Poimen said:

Pretty sure we've had those types of ratios since late morning at least. We've been averaging about an 1" an hour since 11. 

Not here, been a wet heavy snow probably definitely closer to 10:1.  Was around 31 degrees all day.  Down to 28 though now and that backend coming through I am sure will have much better 15-20:1 ratios.

1 hour ago, PackGrad05 said:

I'm near John Heister chevy and my roads are clear.  How are yours/

I am about the same area, off Air Park rd. Roads in the neighborhood range anywhere from slushy to a couple inches of snow. Mailman was slipping pretty good trying to get through here. 2.2" total so far with 0.8" in the last hour.

So I'm assuming that the passage of the upper low brings enough lift to wring out the available low level moisture, because all the soundings were indicating pronounced drying aloft. What else can be responsible for this amount of snow that is both poorly modeled and poorly represented by radar?

About 4” in Boone and still snowing with very high ratio snow, almost looks fake. Sure was an over performer here given many of the models have shown trace to inch amounts for Mtn’s and foothills.

I posted several days ago to keep an eye out for a low to form in NW S.C. that could lead to an over performer in WNC. Love these over performers, 3rd one so far this season for this area.

5 minutes ago, Poimen said:

So I'm assuming that the passage of the upper low brings enough lift to wring out the available low level moisture, because all the soundings were indicating pronounced drying aloft. What else can be responsible for this amount of snow that is both poorly modeled and poorly represented by radar?

I would assume it is because it is closed off now.  I dont think the past models were showing this closing off.  At best it went neutral as it passed through. 

I dont know alot, but I know from watching these over the years that when they close off, they pull down crazy cold air and create their own weather and do what they want and models almost never get it right.  

I think the snow is starting to get a bit drier as of 3pm. Started off with large flakes prior to lunch and they have changed over to those smaller floaters. Still moderate snow here in Leesville. Had 3 inches an hour ago. Maybe nearing 4, but I need to verify.

2 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

People getting baked on the highway.

I went through there twice yesterday.  I didn't see anything.  :) 

Almost 6" at the house. Never any heavy snow but an extremely steady moderate snow rate combined with cold ground got the job done.

large.jpg

Archived