Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/16-1/17 Event OBS

BullCityWx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

Does anyone possibly have a video of what heavy snow looks like? I’m beginning to think that I truly have no idea what moderate or heavy snow looks like because I haven’t seen anything other than light snow.  I know that makes me sound like an idiot though.

1 minute ago, ragtop50 said:

I have also noticed that the NWS has added accumulations for our area for tonight now in the forecast, 1 to 2 inches more.

I saw that as well.  Maybe front is slowing down even more.  I don’t buy their accumulation totals though.  I’ll be happy to see a good coating!

13 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

Thank you for posting that!  Yeah, we have nothing like that!

I'm from Philly. Funny tidbit from that storm was the night before it looked like we'd see MAYBE 2 inches MAX. It was supposed to be a DC/MD/DE/SNJ special... A mesoscale band of heavy precip formed right over the city right before game time. I think the city got over 8" in a fairly short time span. 

Added .5" to finish it off.  Gives me 3.5" here barring that backbuilding band over the mtns and foothills pivoting through, still wanting to try to light snow however.  I felt 3-4" for here was a good call and looks like we hit it.  If we could have gotten rid of the rain/snow mix sooner we would have gotten more as well if our flake structure and size would have stayed as it was after switching to all snow.  Just got a little unlucky with taking longer than modeled to scour out that "warm" pocket of air at the surface at onset, being the unlucky ones that were between bands and what had to be anemic moisture in the dendrite growth region over this area (seems to be a re-occuring theme the past few winters which is just luck of the draw) and that's how you get a local minimum compared to other places in the county and metro.

Archived