Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Jan 16/17 Event Obs/Disc

mappy

13 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

We are continuing to see a favorable location for the greatest 3 hour pressure drops for the developing low off the coast. They are now centered on the N Car/S Car coast. Again this needs to be taken with caution as this can be misleading at times.

Any indications of the trough going neutral to negative? 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Looks like the precip in our area is getting eaten away towards the south and the dry air is winning.  If the coastal was going to do anything for the DC metro area I'd expect the opposite to be happening.  

The low hasn't even formed yet. Let's wait and see what we have at that point.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

The trough is still dropping down through the midwest so it is still strongly positive tilt. What it looks like roughly 12 hours from now will be the key.

Thanks. Ok. Didn’t realize it was still way out there. Should any surprises arise, we’re not talking until much later I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Thanks. Ok. Didn’t realize it was still way out there. Should any surprises arise, we’re not talking until much later I guess. 

I really even hesitated to bring this up previously. Chances are slim that even with the changes we have seen and hopefully see at 500 mb that it would have any meaningful impact for the DC/Balt corridor. But if I were on the shores I would definitely be interested because it won't take much more for them to score something. But the models have struggle a good bit with what I and some others originally considered a straight forward setup so whos to say there may not be other surprises in store?

This one surprised me in a good way. Despite losing precip to warm temps it recovered and we got 1.5 inches, mostly on the grass with maybe a half inch on the road. So thats positive. Tough one for the models for sure. I guess the further east you went the warmer it was I know Monmouth county in NJ is showing some of the best returns but its rainy. But thats not a negative thing. I am looking forward to the rest of the winter, I think after our warm up things turn better and it seems very unlikely we escape this winter without at least a moderate event (4-8 inch type deal). Worst case, chase something, The weekend of the 27th/28th seems to be advertising something for the interior areas and maybe the coast.

Got about 1/2 inch in western Arlington. A bit surprised to see everything completely covered, considering what was going on around midnight. Neighborhood streets in Arlington were a bit dicey, but treated roads 100% ok.

Got out the battery powered snow thrower, just to feel like I actually used it one time this season - not feeling confident in our chances this season based on current trends - and of course that was overkill and a complete waste of time, but at least I got to use it once, right? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, cae said:

Snow has shut off, but what a nice surprise this morning.  1.5" here.  HRRR had started to pick up on it last night, but I wasn't convinced.  I tried to measure ratios and got about 15:1, so about 0.1" qpf.  

Yea woke up to a healthy 1" in Reisterstown and was quite happy.

If nothing else, it was a very effective .5" that covered everything including the streets. I had snow OTG during the cold snap for what seemed like forever and it was less than 1". Yea, the light events aren't nearly as exciting as what we are all waiting for but for light events they have performed remarkably well this year. That's uncommon in these parts. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If nothing else, it was a very effective .5" that covered everything including the streets. I had snow OTG during the cold snap for what seemed like forever and it was less than 1". Yea, the light events aren't nearly as exciting as what we are all waiting for but for light events they have performed remarkably well this year. That's uncommon in these parts. 

Yeah, we've had plenty of snow events so far this winter. Most of them haven't been larger than 1", but frequent powdery snowfalls have been pretty uncommon. Only wet snow event we had was back during Dec 8-9, and that's about it.

14 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

For those that haven't seen the 12k NAM yet. We have seen some improvements at 500 mb again and we are also seeing much stronger surface low development closer to the coast.

eta: We are also seeing a capture of the surface low much closer towards the coast.

I love your hope and dedication. I know there are plenty of storms in the past where it looked like we had no shot and I just wouldn't give up on them. Bring it home for us!

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived