Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 16/17 Event Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I guess growing up in an area where people were taught how to drive in the snow has me jaded for how things operate here.  Then again maybe it's all about a school's liability insurance.

Well the thing is, we live in an area where people should be prepared for snow since it happens yearly, but many aren't.

(I'm a teacher in Baltimore City.)

Lots of kids come to school without adequate winter weather clothing, and cities here aren't actually prepared to clean up an entire city in time for schools to open.

Should we be able to have school when there's an inch or two of snow?  I totally think we should.  But in the world we live in I don't think it's safe for kids.  Big sections of Baltimore City don't even have real sidewalks, so you're asking kids to walk to school without decent gear on snow-covered streets that haven't been plowed yet, while bad drivers try to rush to work?  Not worth it.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

I guess growing up in an area where people were taught how to drive in the snow has me jaded for how things operate here.  Then again maybe it's all about a school's liability insurance.

Just now, Jandurin said:

There's also a slight chance that someone is actually thinking of the children.

Maybe we should move this to banter, but there are other organizations that help advise (and probably even persuade) school systems in this area on whether to delay or close. It's rarely as simple as we think it is.

1 minute ago, DSF said:

Well the thing is, we live in an area where people should be prepared for snow since it happens yearly, but many aren't.

(I'm a teacher in Baltimore City.)

Lots of kids come to school without adequate winter weather clothing, and cities here aren't actually prepared to clean up an entire city in time for schools to open.

Should we be able to have school when there's an inch or two of snow?  I totally think we should.  But in the world we live in I don't think it's safe for kids.  Big sections of Baltimore City don't even have real sidewalks, so you're asking kids to walk to school without decent gear on snow-covered streets that haven't been plowed yet, while bad drivers try to rush to work?  Not worth it.

Baltimore City has its own unique set of circumstances.

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

WTF.  AA County just canceled school. For a friggin inch of snow.

It might be the right decision.  I am on Rt. 32 and my 10 minute commute has taken 45.  Slid in truck twice, ramps are bad.  There have been emergency vehicles every mile or two.  I don’t think it matters how much snow is on ground, when its slick, it’s slick.  They’ve closed for more favorable conditions in the past. 

Though, it has greatly improved since the snow let Up, maybe 2hour delay woulda sufficed.  Either way, tough call imo.

10 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Should have known with the lowering DP's earlier.......snow evaporating off radar to my west. I am done with 10 minutes of pixie dust. Fully expect to see snow blossom on a Richmond to Greensboro line within the hour. Classic, classic transfer for here.

MAYBE it can back in to here, but that would be asking a lot, kudos to the King, nailed it.

Well, I guess I shamed the upper low into pushing snow back this way. Just far enough NW that I picked up 0.7 at 7 am and it is still snowing lightly, mostly small slightly bigger than pixie dust stuff with a few fluffy dendrites mixed in and about 1-2 mile visibility. Looks and feels like winter for the day :) Currently 19.0/15.5

12 minutes ago, attml said:

Starting to see some development off of Cape Hatteras moving north.  Any thoughts?

Is that the coastal starting to form?  Maybe thats why we over performed a touch because it didn’t rob our moisture? 

Eta: Hi I’m Captain Obvious 

5 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

measured a whopping 0.5" this morning in extreme northern Calvert County.  Just about what was expected. Looks like the dusting to 2 inch CWG forecast wan't too bad though 2" amounts seem pretty scarce.

With how the short range models were going yesterday afternoon and last night I honestly expected no snow at all as we would be in that in-between zone missing the frontal lift as the coastal got going.

The little bit that fell was good in my book.  Tough call for you guys at CWG.  i think you did great.

Steady snow continuing here. Just measured 0.6".

I would characterize this as a small scale reverse bust. Forecast was "30% chance of snow, with little or no accumulation expected". A good forecast considering all guidance last night showed a complete precip hole over here.

Can't always predict where a nice band will set up, and lucky for me its been over mby.

25 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Is that the coastal starting to form?  Maybe thats why we over performed a touch because it didn’t rob our moisture? 

Eta: Hi I’m Captain Obvious 

I am wondering if it was the fact that the coastal to the north wasn't as strong as forecasted. Didn't bring in the west wind and dry us out as much as expected. 

Just now, showmethesnow said:

We are continuing to see a favorable location for the greatest 3 hour pressure drops for the developing low off the coast. They are now centered on the N Car/S Car coast. Again this needs to be taken with caution as this can be misleading at times.

Looks like the precip in our area is getting eaten away towards the south and the dry air is winning.  If the coastal was going to do anything for the DC metro area I'd expect the opposite to be happening.  

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Looks like the precip in our area is getting eaten away towards the south and the dry air is winning.  If the coastal was going to do anything for the DC metro area I'd expect the opposite to be happening.  

HRRR/RAP suggest we may get into another band over the next few hours...we would likely be on the western fringe..can't imagine getting more than another 0.2 or 0.3 if anything

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived