Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 16/17 Event Obs/Disc

mappy

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just woke up to fresh and glorious powder. Life is awesome again!  No clue how much, but visually the best snow of the winter so far for me.  I’ll measure shortly. Coming down nicely as well. Need coffee first before measuring or I might accidentally slant stick it. ;)

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Had 1.2 " at midnight before it cutoff . This recent band has put down another  .5" . or so. Towards Harrisburg is pushing 5"+ . Poconos 8" in spots . No complaints here. 

Yeah, I could smell the snow falling just to my north and west all day yesterday it was that close. Didn't start seeing some flakes in the air until later in the evening though. If it would have been the weekend I might have headed up to our trailer in the mountains just outside of Harrisburg where they probably have a half foot if not more.

Most of HoCo gettin some nice action. Kids and wife are happy (and asleep) for a two hour delay, and I’m happy to be reporting white fluffies falling with the first cup of joe in hand.  Looks like 3/4” maybe?

eta: 1” officially. And this band is rockin...

2 minutes ago, Kingstonian said:

Dutifully went out at 06:00 and measured 0.2" for my morning spotter report, SSW Franconia/Kingstowne.  Cold out there as I also swept my walkway clear with a broom.  

I didn't get a chance to measure when I left for work but I was going to say 0.2" on the ground.  Side streets are slick where no pretreatment was put down.  Main roads wet, Van Dorn, Franconia Rd are clear.

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Echo the thoughts of most everyone else. It was a nice little surprise to wake up to a half inch or so in Burke and fluffy dendrites falling from the sky. Should be a nice walk from the train to work.

Seems that a 2 hr delay is warranted this time.  It didn't take long for neighborhood roads to get covered.  Was snowing decently at times too.  Temps won't get any higher so its all going to stick.

Getting larger dendrites now, the growth zone is better. This keeps up, I could end up with an inch, my bar was half an inch. This just might overperform. Temp is down to 24 degrees.

Green returns are right over my backyard, and I have moderate snow. decent dendrites, with gusty breezes, snow is blowing off roofs lol.

7 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Most of HoCo gettin some nice action. Kids and wife are happy (and asleep) for a two hour delay, and I’m happy to be reporting white fluffies falling with the first cup of joe in hand.  Looks like 3/4” maybe?

If this keeps up for another hour, your kids and wife may be able to sleep even longer. Back edge looks like it may be filling in a bit in MD.

The way the radar looks currently to the SW, we could have several more hours of this.  If so, could see us "busting high" with over an inch.  lol - over an inch?  I'll take it. 

Probably my imagination, but the western edge down in GA seems to be moving east, while the western edge around Blacksburg is holding.  Lots of darker returns in there too.  Are we perhaps seeing a pivot with the trailing Low riding up the front?

Edit - sorry nw bal wx - didn't mean to copy your comment, but noticed the same thing...

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If this keeps up for another hour, your kids and wife may be able to sleep even longer. Back edge looks like it may be filling in a bit in MD.

Agreed. I want the current rates and white asteroid size for an all day event now. :)

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived