Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16th-17th Observations

KamuSnow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! Lol....looks like about an inch or so here, still snowing at a rate somewhere between light and moderate. That was my original and final bar (although it had crept up a little earlier in the week), so I am pleased. The models last night (a few anyway) did have that band kind of do a disappearing act here and then reform again and lo and behold it did that. Started as rain here just after midnight but it was changing over to snow by 2 am. Looks great outside!

eta: 28F here, dropped from 29F just now.

commute this morning was pretty difficult. Seems like the municipalities weren't expecting really anything at all either... lots of roads with snow on them even some major roads around here had slush. far more impactful here than the ice storm last week. I'm pretty surprised we are sticking to pavement despite the borderline temps and start as rain. This really should have warranted a WWA down here with the timing even though I don't fault mt holly at all with not going with it.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
2 hours ago, RedSky said:
2.5" with light SN
Event total 2.6"
Made a good come back and Lucy was benched

Another over performer after model angst yesterday. Mesos did horribly. 1.2" here so far still snowing.

As bad as models did with the front and the Miller B they kept painting 3" banding over upper Bucks a tiny island of accuracy

Finally tapering off here. Finished with 1.2". We take as we inch closer to average. I must say I did not see the snow lasting this long into the morning nor it accumulating as much as it did after the warm day yesterday and start as rain. Another event that over performed to my expectations. Now just about exactly 3 inches away from normal IMBY and well above normal YTD. Fingers crossed I make it to the season average....

17 minutes ago, Ej257 snow lover said:

I would be interested to hear what the official snow report is for Ashfield/Lehighton, PA area. I snow plowed 4-5” last night at 10pm and just went by my apartment building and there is another 4-5” otg. 

I'm not sure if MT holly is counting yesterday in their storm total report this morning, but there were 2 reports of 5.5" in Lehighton area this morning at 7 am on the NWS reports sheet. I bet they got another inch or 2 after that report too. 

22 minutes ago, Ej257 snow lover said:

I would be interested to hear what the official snow report is for Ashfield/Lehighton, PA area. I snow plowed 4-5” last night at 10pm and just went by my apartment building and there is another 4-5” otg. 

The Mt. Holly 10 am PNS had this -

...Carbon County...
   Palmerton              7.0   903 AM  1/17  Social Media
   Albrightsville         7.0   615 AM  1/17  Social Media
   Lower Towamensing Tw   6.0   822 AM  1/17  Trained Spotter
   3 WSW Lehighton        5.5   700 AM  1/17  CoCoRaHS
   4 NE Lehighton         5.5   800 AM  1/17  Co-Op Observer

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

17.8" on the season

Off the top of my head only 2013-14 winter had more to date since 2000, combined with the cold i would take this every year. It's been nice not having to sweat out my Jan 15 winter cancel date, never had to give it a thought.

February from here looks very much not typical La Nina, good chance for normal temps and snow and possibly better.

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

17.8" on the season

Off the top of my head only 2013-14 winter had more to date since 2000, combined with the cold i would take this every year. It's been nice not having to sweat out my Jan 15 winter cancel date, never had to give it a thought.

February from here looks very much not typical La Nina, good chance for normal temps and snow and possibly better.

I've had similar thoughts about 2013-2014, how this winter is a "lite" version of that one, different in many ways of course, but as far as multiple snow events with decent cold, definitely. Here we are at 16.4" for the season, certainly less than 2013-2014, but with 6 snowfalls so far I'm enjoying it very much thank you! 

9 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I've had similar thoughts about 2013-2014, how this winter is a "lite" version of that one, different in many ways of course, but as far as multiple snow events with decent cold, definitely. Here we are at 16.4" for the season, certainly less than 2013-2014, but with 6 snowfalls so far I'm enjoying it very much thank you! 

Yes a light version of that winter, also a "heavy" version of winter 2009. Smack in the middle of those winters the Goldilocks zone.

8 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Yes a light version of that winter, also a "heavy" version of winter 2009. Smack in the middle of those winters the Goldilocks zone.

Yeah, that one set the bar pretty high, if nothing else for the most snow on the ground in this area that I've seen in my lifetime (afternoon of February 10th). It was surreal! Meanwhile this one is better than average so far and I'm happy :snowing:.

Archived