• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

North Balti Zen

Drought

46 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

How do you place the soap?  In a pantry hose or something?  

Run a wire or something through a chunk of soap, hang it from a post or something.  I don't see why panty hose wouldn't work though. 

• Like 1

Through the first 15 days of July (and in fact, the 16th also), only a trace of rain was observed at Reagan National Airport. This is the only time on record, dating back to 1871, that no measurable rain fell in the first 15 days of July. The old low benchmark of 0.08" was set in 1900. Normal rainfall for the first 15 days of July is 1.86 inches, and back in 1905, the wettest first 15 days of July brought 7.05" of rain.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/dryjuly2018

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

The 54 inches of rain on the year are just a mirage...lol

it seemed like such a dire thing .. its not like typical cyclical climate variance could have solved such an emergency situation

On 7/21/2018 at 8:34 AM, EastCoast NPZ said:

My yard is mostly brown.  The drought is back.  And as today's futility has proven, it's only getting stronger.  Long live the Shenandaoh Valley Desert.

Real drought here, even by high desert standards.  At my home the last drop of rain was on June 20, 2018.  12 month total 7.38"  /  so ready for some pineapple express storms. 

18 hours ago, snownut said:

Real drought here, even by high desert standards.  At my home the last drop of rain was on June 20, 2018.  12 month total 7.38"  /  so ready for some pineapple express storms. 

Wow.  I have almost 9 inches this month alone.  What is your "normal" 12 month total?

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Wow.  I have almost 9 inches this month alone.  What is your "normal" 12 month total?

Normal annual rainfall here at my west side home at 3,800' is around 12" /  less than 10" east of town.  There are insane differences 30 miles west in the mountains where 70" or more fall (mostly as snow)  The coast ranges get up to 200" of rain per year which is where the "PNW is so wet" reputation comes from? Yes, parts of the state can be extremely wet but most of OR consists of dry sunny high desert plateaus.  Had first measurable rain since June 20th yesterday, a whopping .03 in the bucket. LOL. 

Strangely the mountains are still mostly snowless, my other years here there have been September snows on the summits.  I think it snowed above 8000' last night but mountains are hidden in clouds this morning so cannot tell yet?  

Photo of glacier fields from a hike I took on September 20th.

184290172_DSC_0059(1).thumb.jpg.f999071502164c4581a4296944fbfd81.jpg

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

That’s why this thread is dumb.

17 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

At the time this thread was made, it was an attempt to get one particular doomsayer to stop derailing every long range winter thread. 

Yep...it was an attempt to corral all the dumb into  this one thread. 

ETA:  just so a debate doesn't start up I know when this thread started it was dry...and it was worth noting it...but it was fairly typical variance that happens a couple times a decade and not the emergency situation worth derailing EVERY discussion in every thread one person was making it out to be.