• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
North Balti Zen

Finally a extreme drought designation for most of the Shenandoah Valley , centered over (surprise surprise)Augusta County & the central Blue Ridge... Was wondering when they were going to upgrade the drought status here... Just over 23.30 inches here in 10.3 months is wild or absurd for basically any locale in the eastern US...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, WVclimo said:

Driest years on record (since 1926) at Martinsburg, WV

21.41" - 1930

22.13" - 2023 (through yesterday)

26.32" - 1991

27.75" - 1969

28.43" - 1947

28.57" - 1957

29.55" - 2001

29.96" - 1964

Yikes, don't think I have logged in since last spring. Just saw some weather headlines about fire danger back east.  Made a quick trip to Virginia to visit family in late July and it seemed like a dry summer there.  I did not realize it was one of the worst!  Good luck for a wet and snowy winter! 

1 hour ago, snownut said:

Yikes, don't think I have logged in since last spring. Just saw some weather headlines about fire danger back east.  Made a quick trip to Virginia to visit family in late July and it seemed like a dry summer there.  I did not realize it was one of the worst!  Good luck for a wet and snowy winter! 

Thanks!  Good to see you posting.  Hope you and the family are well.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 1:46 PM, WVclimo said:

Thanks!  Good to see you posting.  Hope you and the family are well.

I am an empty nester now. Last kid and a too much of my bank account are Cal Poly now :blink:

Two daughters living and getting married Virginia in 2024 so hunch I'll be spending much more time in the Old Dominion in the years ahead. 

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving and rooting for a White Christmas there. 

• Like 4

Suppressed southeast low pressure robs the moisture from Friday night frontal.  18z  NAM12  now zero.  Only 14% of normal first half of November at .24".

Will do a study of nino winter snowfalls with less than 50% of normal precipitation.  It will be bleak.

It's incredible how difficult it is to get a drought in this region.

At Hagerstown Regional Airport, it has been the 4th warmest and 3rd driest on record (less than a quarter of an inch from driest on record). Needless to say, this is about as hot and dry as it gets. Yet if you look at the map, HGR is roughly on the border between D0 and D1. You'd think these conditions would correspond to D3 or D4, given that there has never been this combination of heat and lack of precipitation recorded in Hagerstown prior to this year.

image.png.248fd818c86ecc27b068eba50e371010.png

image.png.216c6c7de19e70ff2a9c3647a576235c.png

Can only imagine how dry it must be in those D3 zones in Virginia.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:33 AM, WVclimo said:

Driest years on record (since 1926) at Martinsburg, WV

21.41" - 1930

22.13" - 2023 (through yesterday)

26.32" - 1991

27.75" - 1969

28.43" - 1947

28.57" - 1957

29.55" - 2001

29.96" - 1964

Same story in Martinsburg! One of the hottest and driest years ever recorded, and it can only muster a measly D1 on the drought scale. Northern Berkeley isn't even in drought, only abnormally dry (D0)!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stormy said:

Suppressed southeast low pressure robs the moisture from Friday night frontal.  18z  NAM12  now zero.  Only 14% of normal first half of November at .24".

Will do a study of nino winter snowfalls with less than 50% of normal precipitation.  It will be bleak.

There's really only one match I can find with a comparable El Nino of this strength with a November this dry, and that's 1965. Although 65-66 was a good winter.

The next best match would be 1991. That was definitely not a good winter lol

This was just using BWI data.

• 2 weeks later...

I received 2.10 inches of rain last Tuesday.  This is wonderful but a fraction of what we need to bust the drought.

2 inches of rain cannot wipe out 10 - 15 inch deficits............................    Only a wet winter can solve our serious problems.

• Like 1

Severe to Extreme Drought still has the western portion of the tristate area under a firm grip.

Earlier model expectations of improvement have failed.  

Latest USGS analysis of the water table says Augusta/Rockingham is 21.88 feet below April. The 2 inches of rain last week only brought up the water table .38'!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...