• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

On 12/19/2021 at 7:17 AM, CAPE said:

Abnormally dry in portions of MD. Definitely been dry the last couple months here.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?MD

After a very dry November, I have received only .09" of rainfall during the first 21 days of December. Normally, the first 21 days of December would give my location 1.68" of rain and melted snow.

46 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The last thing I worry about in November and December is dry conditions. The sun is so low that the ground is still moist even without much rainfall.

Also, I feel like it's been 3 years of AN precipitation so I'm not worried about some kind of sustained drought.  I feel like we revisit this thread every few months and then laugh when have a 200% rainfall month "out of the blue" and this thread goes back to page 5.

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Also, I feel like it's been 3 years of AN precipitation so I'm not worried about some kind of sustained drought.  I feel like we revisit this thread every few months and then laugh when have a 200% rainfall month "out of the blue" and this thread goes back to page 5.

Exactly. That we refer to the "Drought" thread when it's dry is kind of sad. It's like how we use our severe thread to discuss a gusty line of showers. :lol:

• Like 2

CBS 19 in Charlottesville reported at 6 pm only 1 inch of rainfall since late October and they are saying we need rain badly. This is seriously affecting the water table. A USGS test well in Rockingham County indicates the 250 ft. water table is 1 ft. lower than during the drought last summer!!!

This is seriously affecting our subsurface water level for next spring and summer.

Prayerfully, it will change to above normal precipitation during the late winter and spring. If not, we are in serious trouble in the spring.

1 hour ago, stormy said:

CBS 19 in Charlottesville reported at 6 pm only 1 inch of rainfall since late October and they are saying we need rain badly. This is seriously affecting the water table. A USGS test well in Rockingham County indicates the 250 ft. water table is 1 ft. lower than during the drought last summer!!!

This is seriously affecting our subsurface water level for next spring and summer.

Prayerfully, it will change to above normal precipitation during the late winter and spring. If not, we are in serious trouble in the spring.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@mattie g is completely right about the time of the year.  As far as vegetation and snow weenies go, Nov/Dec is the best time for it to be dry.

Interestingly, both IAD and BWI have now slipped below normal on precip for the year, IAD significantly so (close to -8”).  DCA is still above due to the summer convection favoring areas near the beltway and east.  On a multi-year basis we are still just fine, but something to keep an eye on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

@mattie g is completely right about the time of the year.  As far as vegetation and snow weenies go, Nov/Dec is the best time for it to be dry.

Interestingly, both IAD and BWI have now slipped below normal on precip for the year, IAD significantly so (close to -8”).  DCA is still above due to the summer convection favoring areas near the beltway and east.  On a multi-year basis we are still just fine, but something to keep an eye on.

I believe it. We're starting to get more wildland fires during the afternoons. Loch Raven reservoir had one that was something over like 6 acres the other day.

On 12/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, Eskimo Joe said:

I believe it. We're starting to get more wildland fires during the afternoons. Loch Raven reservoir had one that was something over like 6 acres the other day.

Central Virginia needs 8 inches of rain to get back to normal.  Anyone care to guess??

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...