Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 8:34 AM, EastCoast NPZ said:

My yard is mostly brown.  The drought is back.  And as today's futility has proven, it's only getting stronger.  Long live the Shenandaoh Valley Desert.

Real drought here, even by high desert standards.  At my home the last drop of rain was on June 20, 2018.  12 month total 7.38"  /  so ready for some pineapple express storms. 

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Wow.  I have almost 9 inches this month alone.  What is your "normal" 12 month total?

Normal annual rainfall here at my west side home at 3,800' is around 12" /  less than 10" east of town.  There are insane differences 30 miles west in the mountains where 70" or more fall (mostly as snow)  The coast ranges get up to 200" of rain per year which is where the "PNW is so wet" reputation comes from? Yes, parts of the state can be extremely wet but most of OR consists of dry sunny high desert plateaus.  Had first measurable rain since June 20th yesterday, a whopping .03 in the bucket. LOL. 

Strangely the mountains are still mostly snowless, my other years here there have been September snows on the summits.  I think it snowed above 8000' last night but mountains are hidden in clouds this morning so cannot tell yet?  

Photo of glacier fields from a hike I took on September 20th.

184290172_DSC_0059(1).thumb.jpg.f999071502164c4581a4296944fbfd81.jpg

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

That’s why this thread is dumb.

17 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

At the time this thread was made, it was an attempt to get one particular doomsayer to stop derailing every long range winter thread. 

Yep...it was an attempt to corral all the dumb into  this one thread. 

ETA:  just so a debate doesn't start up I know when this thread started it was dry...and it was worth noting it...but it was fairly typical variance that happens a couple times a decade and not the emergency situation worth derailing EVERY discussion in every thread one person was making it out to be. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

We are??? Definitely NOT here.....

Hey, good morning out there in Alleghany County!   You folks have been so lucky during the past 30 days with many locations receiving 125% of normal qp. Compare Alleghany to Augusta where many locations are at less than 50%.

It is somewhat silly to have this old thread posted again at this time. No intelligence whatsoever.  A topsoil moisture deficit is NOT DROUGHT. If the current precipitation pattern continues for the next 60 days, large portions of Virginia will indeed have slipped into agricultural drought. We are not there yet.

image.thumb.png.eafe04e903d6a8cd39254d4d8125d4b8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It hasn’t rained here in about 20 minutes. Good thing we are already sheltering in place. 

There's always a bright side to adversity!  The .02" that I received last Friday night left water standing all over my lawn.  Squish! Squish! as I walked across the back lawn. I squatted down and simply used my bar of soap to wash my hands in the standing water.  I didn't have hot water, therefore I washed and rinsed for 40 seconds instead of 20 to get rid of any covid-19, then got my dispenser out and applied 70% to finish the job, just in case.

5 minutes ago, stormy said:

There's always a bright side to adversity!  The .02" that I received last Friday night left water standing all over my lawn.  Squish! Squish! as I walked across the back lawn. I squatted down and simply used my bar of soap to wash my hands in the standing water.  I didn't have hot water, therefore I washed and rinsed for 40 seconds instead of 20 to get rid of any covid-19, then got my dispenser out and applied 70% to finish the job, just in case.

You’re odd....

4 minutes ago, stormy said:

I am not odd. I simply replied to PSU in a jovial fashion. You are odd to not understand that..

A small area receiving 50-75% of normal precip for 1-2 months isn’t that significant. That happens quite frequently.  For some reason no one makes a big deal everytime we get 150% of qpf in a 60 day period.  The drought thing is overblown almost everytime it comes up. We haven’t had a true emergency level drought in a long time. The droughts being trumpeted lately are just typical variance that happens several times a decade.  And before some brings up water restrictions...just because some localities didn’t properly plan their water usage when zoning doesn’t mean it’s a true anomalous drought everytime they run out of water due to poor planning and over population for the local water availability. 

33 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

A small area receiving 50-75% of normal precip for 1-2 months isn’t that significant. That happens quite frequently.  For some reason no one makes a big deal everytime we get 150% of qpf in a 60 day period.  The drought thing is overblown almost everytime it comes up. We haven’t had a true emergency level drought in a long time. The droughts being trumpeted lately are just typical variance that happens several times a decade.  And before some brings up water restrictions...just because some localities didn’t properly plan their water usage when zoning doesn’t mean it’s a true anomalous drought everytime they run out of water due to poor planning and over population for the local water availability. 

It may very well happen several times in a decade. That certainly doesn't justify many wanting to ignore a climatic anomaly as if it doesn't exist. People guilty of this  are ill informed. If D.C. receives 8 or 10 inches of snow a few times a decade, this board goes nuts. If a moisture deficit exists nearby, this board foolishly wishes to deny or ignore it unless it hasn't rained at Reagan for 60 days.  That is quite amusing!!  

Properly planning water usage or zoning has nothing to do with this. Poor planning and over population????  Your premise is nowhere close.

D.C./Baltimore is a small insignificant area.  Half of Virginia is significant.

image.png

2 hours ago, stormy said:

It may very well happen several times in a decade. That certainly doesn't justify many wanting to ignore a climatic anomaly as if it doesn't exist. People guilty of this  are ill informed. If D.C. receives 8 or 10 inches of snow a few times a decade, this board goes nuts. If a moisture deficit exists nearby, this board foolishly wishes to deny or ignore it unless it hasn't rained at Reagan for 60 days.  That is quite amusing!!  

Properly planning water usage or zoning has nothing to do with this. Poor planning and over population????  Your premise is nowhere close.

D.C./Baltimore is a small insignificant area.  Half of Virginia is significant.

image.png

You might want to learn how to read that map before using it to make a point...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Significant areas with only 80-95% of normal over a 90 day period? that's some serious shiit.

My yard is only at 115. I am beginning to worry.

You're such a lucky fellow, why should you worry?  Be thankful you don't live in D.C. where that Democratic mayor (Muriel Bowser)  suffers from???  Threatening people with 90 days in jail and a $5000 fine for leaving their homes!!!!!! 

Back to the here and now, my yard is at 38% for March.  But, I am heartened this morning since my 48 hr. 5 model blended qpf has increased from .22 yesterday to .38 this morning. That is a step in the right direction to ameliorate my 2.35" deficit for March.  Oh, by the way for PSU, the county hasn't zoned those corn and soybean fields to mandate that they properly utilize available moisture!!!  Hilarious!!!!    image.thumb.png.fd46eaf24253fee2737a5db51c906a7a.png