• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

1 minute ago, BlizzardNole said:

Yup.  Although before last night's 1.25 inch deluge (that's a deluge for my area), I was sitting at just 0.9 for the month.

I don't remember who it was (maybe @Tenman Johnson?), but when the winter was looking to be a clunker in Jan/Feb, someone talked about how a couple winters that had wet summers were analogs and were all pretty crappy winters. I wonder what a wet or dry spring means for a winter. Probably not much

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

This is exactly what we want at the height of sun-angle season.

Capture.PNG.2a9b4ece54ec48593b67877def8a5c25.PNG

I am right in that hole over the upper Delmarva. No rain here in 2 weeks. Been running the sprinkler but grass still getting torched. Oh well, pretty used to it, as the rain we get this time of year is of the feast/famine variety. With the high sun and typical July heat, my yard cant survive without water for more than a few days.

This will be the 18th straight rainless day for me. .12 in the last 21 days if you go back 3 more days. Never fails. When most needed, we get nothing. All of the goodwill from mother nature is gone. Don't really like our chances in the next 7 days either. Maybe after that. My neighborhood is turning brown.

4 hours ago, Stormpc said:

This will be the 18th straight rainless day for me. .12 in the last 21 days if you go back 3 more days. Never fails. When most needed, we get nothing. All of the goodwill from mother nature is gone. Don't really like our chances in the next 7 days either. Maybe after that. My neighborhood is turning brown.

Typical cyclical patterns continue. We had a very wet spring. Now we are have a very typical summer dry spell that happens often. Some keep looking at qpf over too small timeframes to draw meaningful conclusions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Typical cyclical patterns continue. We had a very wet spring. Now we are have a very typical summer dry spell that happens often. Some keep looking at qpf over too small timeframes to draw meaningful conclusions.  

It does stink when you are a gardener .   

On 7/12/2018 at 1:42 PM, frd said:

It does stink when you are a gardener .   

Oh I know. I have a pretty large garden. Tomatoes, carrots, corn, peppers, raspberries, blueberries, watermelons, zucchini, green beans, snap peas, and 3 kinds of pumpkins. It's a pain when I have to water it all. But it's normal. There is a dry stretch almost every summer. Also sucks for my 2 acre lawn but there is nothing I can do about it. No way I am wasting that much water and overusing my well pump. Just have to hope it recovers when the rain comes again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Oh I know. I have a pretty large garden. Tomatoes, carrots, corn, peppers, raspberries, blueberries, watermelons, zucchini, green beans, snap peas, and 3 kinds of pumpkins. It's a pain when I have to water it all. But it's normal. There is a dry stretch almost every summer. Also sucks for my 2 acre lawn but there is nothing I can do about it. No way I am wasting that much water and overusing my well pump. Just have to hope it recovers when the rain comes again. 

Give us a tip how you keep the wild life from eating/destroying your wonderful veggie/fruit garden. Here in Alexandria VA we can't seem to grow anything as it all gets eaten while growing ( a bite here and there). We have the usual suspects: fox, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, birds. Is your garden enclosed and gated or what? 

Yes, no sense to waste water on an event that happens every summer. I gave up long ago except to keep trees and flowers alive.

5 hours ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

Give us a tip how you keep the wild life from eating/destroying your wonderful veggie/fruit garden. Here in Alexandria VA we can't seem to grow anything as it all gets eaten while growing ( a bite here and there). We have the usual suspects: fox, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, birds. Is your garden enclosed and gated or what? 

Yes, no sense to waste water on an event that happens every summer. I gave up long ago except to keep trees and flowers alive.

I put a fence up around the garden. I lived the bottom foot with chicken fence to keep the smaller vermin out and then tucked the fencing underground about 6" for a foot to keep groundhogs from burrowing under. I also build a cage with bird netting for the strawberries. We haven't had an issue with the other berries.  You can see in the background the strawberry cage. 

These are old from right after I finished laying out the garden and putting down the boxes and stone walkways. What is now the pumpkin patch is in the background. 

RenderedContent-B80CC96C-7A56-4E46-A0B5-025C40897B9E.thumb.JPG.2c4f8df3d6ac7a6a47092a5227854b06.JPGRenderedContent-9EA60FD7-F112-4A66-9E7E-2609FCB04C66.thumb.JPG.be7fe46ea8f01532f0d74532a037776f.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I put a fence up around the garden. I lived the bottom foot with chicken fence to keep the smaller vermin out and then tucked the fencing underground about 6" for a foot to keep groundhogs from burrowing under. I also build a cage with bird netting for the strawberries. We haven't had an issue with the other berries.  You can see in the background the strawberry cage. 

These are old from right after I finished laying out the garden and putting down the boxes and stone walkways. What is now the pumpkin patch is in the background. 

RenderedContent-B80CC96C-7A56-4E46-A0B5-025C40897B9E.thumb.JPG.2c4f8df3d6ac7a6a47092a5227854b06.JPGRenderedContent-9EA60FD7-F112-4A66-9E7E-2609FCB04C66.thumb.JPG.be7fe46ea8f01532f0d74532a037776f.JPG

Very nice, I like ! !  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I have a question in the lawn thread second one to the bottom, can you check it out and tell me what you think please >  It's about grass and watering , Thanks ! 

2 hours ago, WeatherLovingDoc said:

Wonderful gardens psuhoffman! Thanks so much for details on keeping animals out, as well as photos and congratulations to you and your wife on you new family member.

You're welcome. As for deer my wife knows a trick using Irish spring soap. Seems the deer don't like the smell. She puts it up at the corners and they have not been a problem. 

On 7/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, psuhoffman said:

Beautiful garden, psu. I’m definitely jealous that you have so much sun-drenched land to lay out a really useful space.

I’ll be laying out my space much differently than it is now, and I’ll likely be putting up a cage structure to help keep the pests out. This year has been worse than ever with squirrels and chipmunks doing a number on plenty of my plants. I’ve got a ton of trees around, which will make it a little difficult to clean up in the fall, but I’ll make it work.

Through the first 15 days of July (and in fact, the 16th also), only a trace of rain was observed at Reagan National Airport. This is the only time on record, dating back to 1871, that no measurable rain fell in the first 15 days of July. The old low benchmark of 0.08" was set in 1900. Normal rainfall for the first 15 days of July is 1.86 inches, and back in 1905, the wettest first 15 days of July brought 7.05" of rain.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/dryjuly2018

• Thanks 1