• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

14 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Thanks for sharing ....Looks localized severe only in the narrow B/W corridor.  I'm on the yellow  edge of just dry...

General statement, but I agree that it's localized.  I think it's also better that it's urban based since most of us in the 95 corridor use municipal water rather than rural areas where more folks rely on wells.  Most people understand that for urban water supplies, our reservoirs are fed from afar, so a narrow strip of "severe drought" where the reservoirs are located has less impact here than in other areas of the region.  I'm not dismissing how dry it has been, but if we are going to have a drought, two things stand out to me that make this situation bearable.  The first, obviously, is that for now the severe concern is within an area where impacts are minimal, and secondly, if it is going to be dry, winter is a good time for it since water demand is lower.

I'm pretty sure that if this was a June, July, and August drought, the beachin that would be going on in here would make wintertime Ji would sound optimistic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

General statement, but I agree that it's localized.  I think it's also better that it's urban based since most of us in the 95 corridor use municipal water rather than rural areas where more folks rely on wells.  Most people understand that for urban water supplies, our reservoirs are fed from afar, so a narrow strip of "severe drought" where the reservoirs are located has less impact here than in other areas of the region.  I'm not dismissing how dry it has been, but if we are going to have a drought, two things stand out to me that make this situation bearable.  The first, obviously, is that for now the severe concern is within an area where impacts are minimal, and secondly, if it is going to be dry, winter is a good time for it since water demand is lower.

I'm pretty sure that if this was a June, July, and August drought, the beachin that would be going on in here would make wintertime Ji would sound optimistic.

Yeah the biggest issue with winter drought for most in this forum is it = little snow lol

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, North Balti Zen said:

Feels like Stormy gets an early victory lap.

The good news is that I predict that February will be the first month since August that my area receives normal to above normal precipitation. We will hopefully begin a recovery process from the hydrological drought that will take months of above normal precipitation to completely alleviate. The closest USGS test well to me is about 18 ft. below normal and continuing a steady decline.

Had 1.6 on Sunday and .6 yesterday out in Warrenton and it looks like we could easily get another inch or so this weekend.   Im not sure how accurate this precipiatiion estimator is but it appears to be fairly close to what my rain gauge shows.  http://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours    Just zoom in and click your location to get your estimate

Just now, Cobalt said:

Less than 10:1 ratio in a HECS. Was it a paste bomb? Sounds awesome!

'83 was a very dynamic storm. Very heavy snow over MD, DC and NoVa during the height with thundersnow across the area. It was a moisture bomb, so the snow consistency was a bit on the wet side, but it was a higher ratio at its height when best lift was centered over the area. My Father told me he ended up with 23" at the end of the storm with over a foot in a 4 hour span. Thundersnow woke him up and visibility was below 100 yards at one point. Great storm. You should go read up on it. One of the best the area has had in last 50 years.