• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

2 minutes ago, Qaanaaq said:

It is not mundane to those it affects directly : if you live in a rural area reliant on groundwater, or you are a farmer, or your reservoir has stopped overflowing

Thank you my friend!!!!! You live in the real world instead of dwelling in fantasy!!!

Just now, Qaanaaq said:

Duly noted : abnormally dry - thanks

I am being flippant because I think he is going too far with this. Yes we are in a low level drought. And I don't mean to be rude towards farming interests and other areas where it is having an effect. But right now what we're experiencing is part of typical cyclical weather. And it's an effect not a cause when we discuss snow. The Nina pattern among other things is causing both the lack of snow and precipitation.  Droughts are an effect more than a cause. If droughts caused drought then we would never get out of them. Droughts tend to persist as long as the pattern causing them persists and then it ends and so does the drought. So sorry if I came off dismissive but I'm tired of the agendas. Between the global warming and the drought and the government conspiracy and NWP arguments we can't keep anything on topic anymore. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am being flippant because I think he is going too far with this. Yes we are in a low level drought. And I don't mean to be rude towards farming interests and other areas where it is having an effect. But right now what we're experiencing is part of typical cyclical weather. And it's an effect not a cause when we discuss snow. The Nina pattern among other things is causing both the lack of snow and precipitation.  Droughts are an effect more than a cause. If droughts caused drought then we would never get out of them. Droughts tend to persist as long as the pattern causing them persists and then it ends and so does the drought. So sorry if I came off dismissive but I'm tired of the agendas. Between the global warming and the drought and the government conspiracy and NWP arguments we can't keep anything on topic anymore. 

We are not in a low level drought. We are in a moderate approaching serious drought. This is the worst precipitation deficit anytime during the past 40 years for January in Virginia. This is the TOPIC. Can you understand this?? We argue and thrash about snow. Snow doesn't fall copiously during a drought. Who cares about snow?? We need precipitation.  

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gotcha. It seems that I read somewhere that drought/dry conditions can have an effect (albeit, minor) on atmospheric pressure- dryness driving the pressures up - I thought that was interesting and often wonder if minor rain or snow events might slowly lower them, thus breaking the drought. Cause and effect - chicken and the egg - 

anyway, cheers! Here's to the breaking of the snow drought !

1 hour ago, stormy said:

We are not in a low level drought. We are in a moderate approaching serious drought. This is the worst precipitation deficit anytime during the past 40 years for January in Virginia. This is the TOPIC. Can you understand this?? We argue and thrash about snow. Snow doesn't fall copiously during a drought. Who cares about snow?? We need precipitation.  

You win. Your right. The earth is scorched. The apocalypse is upon us. It will never rain again. Fleas and ticks will rule the earth. Flee scurry run for our lives. The great dryness is upon us. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You win. Your right. The earth is scorched. The apocalypse is upon us. It will never rain again. Fleas and ticks will rule the earth. Flee scurry run for our lives. The great dryness is upon us. 

What's this I hear about a drought? Meh. Get back to me when the pendulum swings and we get flooding rains. Would like the heads up so I can go out buy lumber for my Ark before they sell out.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

What's this I hear about a drought? Meh. Get back to me when the pendulum swings and we get flooding rains. Would like the heads up so I can go out buy lumber for my Ark before they sell out.

Vice Regent says we're all gonna be under water.  This guy thinks we're heading for scorched earth. Can we stick them in a room and let them fight it out?

• Haha 1

There is certainly a feedback loop that sets up which can exacerbate and extend droughts.  Around here, that region would probably need to be to our WSW for it to amplify our problems.  Haven't looked towards the mid-west to see how they are doing with ground moisture.  Dry conditions now - while they suck - won't be a big problem until we get to the growing season.  If we haven't entered a wetter pattern by then, there will be big problems by late spring.

One effect of a drought that is irrefutable is that it equals warmer temps.  We could be headed into an epic summer heat nightmare.

33 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

1.85" since Veteran's Day.  Not great.

"Not great" is 20/20.  Most of Virginia and Maryland has been in an abnormally dry pattern since early September. There is nothing apocalyptic about this as some seem to believe I have been insinuating. Perhaps, my approach to this fact was incorrect. If so, I am sorry. This pattern has resulted in much of Virginia now being classified as being in a moderate drought. This is not minor and it is not major. But, it has serious implications if it persists much longer and it almost certainly is a factor in our low snowfall for many locations.

Last winter I was also in an abnormally dry pattern and received only 4 inches of snow compared to a normal 24 inches. This dry pattern broke in April and I received normal to above normal rainfall through the summer until another dry pattern began in September and persists. 

During January of 1996, I received 33 inches of snow during an abnormally wet month that witnessed 9.36 inches of qp compared to a normal 2.95".

Normal to above normal snowfall often correlates to normal to above normal precipitation. The reverse is also true. I convert snowfall to qp at a 10/1 ratio unless my 13 inch freeze resistant rain gage indicates otherwise.

This pattern will break and when it does, we may swing to above normal precipitation as Mother Nature tends to balance. Normals are only averages of extremes.

The question is will it break in February, March or April.  Our late winter snowfall is probably contingent on the answer.

3 minutes ago, stormy said:

"Not great" is 20/20.  Most of Virginia and Maryland has been in an abnormally dry pattern since early September. There is nothing apocalyptic about this as some seem to believe I have been insinuating. Perhaps, my approach to this fact was incorrect. If so, I am sorry. This pattern has resulted in much of Virginia now being classified as being in a moderate drought. This is not minor and it is not major. But, it has serious implications if it persists much longer and it almost certainly is a factor in our low snowfall for many locations.

Last winter I was also in an abnormally dry pattern and received only 4 inches of snow compared to a normal 24 inches. This dry pattern broke in April and I received normal to above normal rainfall through the summer until another dry pattern began in September and persists. 

During January of 1996, I received 33 inches of snow during an abnormally wet month that witnessed 9.36 inches of qp compared to a normal 2.95".

Normal to above normal snowfall often correlates to normal to above normal precipitation. The reverse is also true. I convert snowfall to qp at a 10/1 ratio unless my 13 inch freeze resistant rain gage indicates otherwise.

This pattern will break and when it does, we may swing to above normal precipitation as Mother Nature tends to balance. Normals are only averages of extremes.

The question is will it break in February, March or April.  Our late winter snowfall is probably contingent on the answer.

Hopefully this all does turn for the better and we develop a moderate El Nino come next Fall. Looks like we may break out of this La Nina, but we all remember saying that last year too.

plume.png.476a5314d0c7d37f5fdc27cabd09741d.png

8 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Hopefully this all does turn for the better and we develop a moderate El Nino come next Fall. Looks like we may break out of this La Nina, but we all remember saying that last year too.

plume.png.476a5314d0c7d37f5fdc27cabd09741d.png

I agree completely, we usually have more generous precipitation during an El Nino in winter because of a more active stj.

But, Jan. of 96 which was very wet averaged -0.9c. Go figure

On 1/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, stormy said:

I agree completely, we usually have more generous precipitation during an El Nino in winter because of a more active stj.

But, Jan. of 96 which was very wet averaged -0.9c. Go figure

I don't think dca has ever had 3 extreme dud winters in a row (though this year isn't done yet).

5 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

2011, 12, &13?

2011 was no dud, but I see why you mentioned that.  No other 3 year span comes close to those though.

eta: 1949-1953 may have been bad even with the low double digits overall, but the law of averages resulting from 2012-2013 ended in our favor. B)

3 hours ago, Cobalt said:

2010/2011 actually was closer to an average Nina. In fact, I think it was above average for the typical Moderate La Nina, with DCA getting near 10". 1/26/11 was also incredibly memorable too.

You can't weight it against what amounts to lowered expectations based on ENSO state.  It was either BN, or it wasn't.  10" amounts to about 60% of DCA climo, no?  60% on a test gets you an 'F'.  And, as you mention, that total basically came in one 5 hour storm.  Basically, nothing else for the winter.  Better than many winters, but still bad enough IMO to include in that awful stretch of winters.

3 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

You can't weight it against what amounts to lowered expectations based on ENSO state.  It was either BN, or it wasn't.  10" amounts to about 60% of DCA climo, no?  60% on a test gets you an 'F'.  And, as you mention, that total basically came in one 5 hour storm.  Basically, nothing else for the winter.  Better than many winters, but still bad enough IMO to include in that awful stretch of winters.

According to this CWG article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/12/everything-you-need-to-know-about-snow-in-washington-d-c/?utm_term=.faff75a19b3e

The average Moderate La Nina winter gives DC 10.8" of snow, which is also near the Median I believe. Certainly not awful, but bad from the typical standpoint of course.