Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
NorEastermass128

Obs Thread 1/15-17

Recommended Posts

In the weird world of Southern plymouth County weather it's icing pretty badly right now. Rt 3 is a warzone with cars off the road everywhere.

 

41b730bd748e0db16a35d0598f22e121.jpg8ff37f029849bffb4cb8168dbf7f81b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Multiple reports of ZR down by Duxbury. 

I mean it is just a model forecast, and not necessarily reality, but the latest RAP shows that all the lift is actually very shallow. So even though you have some temps -8 to -10C that are saturated, there is not lift in that zone to generate ice crystals. Where there is lift, it is a little too warm and too shallow for good crystal growth. Hence FZRA/DZ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean it is just a model forecast, and not necessarily reality, but the latest RAP shows that all the lift is actually very shallow. So even though you have some temps -8 to -10C that are saturated, there is not lift in that zone to generate ice crystals. Where there is lift, it is a little too warm and too shallow for good crystal growth. Hence FZRA/DZ.

I’m not surprised at all. I thought it was really shallow too, But there was plenty of precip being generated. definitely a model fail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

Cloudy and 21F/2F at KCEF. 

When does the snow start?

It doesnt...the dynamics didn't materialize

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, amarshall said:

In the weird world of Southern plymouth County weather it's icing pretty badly right now. Rt 3 is a warzone with cars off the road everywhere.

 

41b730bd748e0db16a35d0598f22e121.jpg8ff37f029849bffb4cb8168dbf7f81b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Oh great, my parents went grocery shopping at exit 6. My dad already totaled one car on rt3 in the snow just before christmas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m not surprised at all. I thought it was really shallow too, But there was plenty of precip being generated. definitely a model fail. 

There was an AMDAR sounding (with RH!) that arrived at BOS at 20z.

The saturated layer was from like 1500 ft to 3000 ft. So despite having pretty cold temps in that layer (-10 to -13C), if the lift was garbage you aren't going to get much snow out of that. There was a seeder-feeder hope with cirrus about the low clouds, but it's 10,000 ft higher than the stratus and racing east. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

There was an AMDAR sounding (with RH!) that arrived at BOS at 20z.

The saturated layer was from like 1500 ft to 3000 ft. So despite having pretty cold temps in that layer (-10 to -13C), if the lift was garbage you aren't going to get much snow out of that. There was a seeder-feeder hope with cirrus about the low clouds, but it's 10,000 ft higher than the stratus and racing east. 

We have flakes here. Makes sense a little more south it could be warmer. So, lousy lift and maybe a bit warmer. Cloud physics b*tch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OceanStWx said:

Are people asking WTF?

I can’t tell you the number of people that came up to me at the office today and asked why it was snowing today, where it came from , was the storm starting early etc.. Then I had a dentist appt late afternoon and they asked same thing. When forecasts have sunny and it snows .. the public wants to know why 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I can’t tell you the number of people that came up to me at the office today and asked why it was snowing today, where it came from , was the storm starting early etc.. Then I had a dentist appt late afternoon and they asked same thing. When forecasts have sunny and it snows .. the public wants to know why 

Can't tell us because nobody came up to you asking the question?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Fail of a forecast to be sure 

Epic. It's nice to know we can have busts like this still. We thought the days were gone where the forecast would be sunny and 24 hours later we're shoveling out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Wintry appeal.  Peeps asking me left and right where this came from.

Did they come up to you and say WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Wintry appeal.  Peeps asking me left and right where this came from.

 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Did they come up to you and say WTF?

I mean the 0 PoP was pretty ugly to walk in to. Winter time misery mist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

 

I mean the 0 PoP was pretty ugly to walk in to. Winter time misery mist.

At least some chance pop would have been good even if it was 20-30% so it showed a possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×