• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
NorEastermass128

Obs Thread 1/15-17

6 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I think you gave yourself a B- with the blizzard two weeks ago. If you're giving yourself a B- with this one, I think your grade for the blizzard should of been an A tbh. You did exceptionally well with that storm and better than this one. Still think you did a lot better than all the on-air mets around here for this storm. Great job as always

I thoughts about a C with this one..but frankly, I graded this forecast on a curve, so to speak...it was a real PITA due to a dearth of forcing.

The blizzard was comparatively easy, but I just blew it on the west end.

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s been a really snowy evening. Large glittery crystals with no wind. A jspin special.

Had the same here, nice after day-long teenyflakes.  Finished with 3.6" from 0.20" LE, in about 21 hours of continuous SN-.  First part of the storm had 12:1 ratio; the last inch was probably more like 40:1.  Went out with the dog at 9 PM and the flashlight showed pretty dime-size floaters, still SN- but close to moderate.  When I turned off the light and looked up, there was Orion clearly visible, first time I've seen stars during accumulating snow.  Those feathers were probably taking an hour or more for their descent, and the final few minutes came while I was admiring the stars.

Looking at reports from other Maine peeps, this event solidified my last-place standing among that group.  Still 4" above my average thru Jan. 18, however.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had the same here, nice after day-long teenyflakes.  Finished with 3.6" from 0.20" LE, in about 21 hours of continuous SN-.  First part of the storm had 12:1 ratio; the last inch was probably more like 40:1.  Went out with the dog at 9 PM and the flashlight showed pretty dime-size floaters, still SN- but close to moderate.  When I turned off the light and looked up, there was Orion clearly visible, first time I've seen stars during accumulating snow.  Those feathers were probably taking an hour or more for their descent, and the final few minutes came while I was admiring the stars.

Looking at reports from other Maine peeps, this event solidified my last-place standing among that group.  Still 4" above my average thru Jan. 18, however.

We need a good anchor, To hold us in place.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

But climo suggests it ought to be closer to LEW than Farmington.  ;)

I know it should, We have been on a run the last few years in the southern half of the state, I'm sure it will revert back to climo at some point.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I know it should, We have been on a run the last few years in the southern half of the state, I'm sure it will revert back to climo at some point.

That's okay.  I still remember March 2014 when points not far to my south got messy advisory snows while we had 13-14" here, twice.

1 hour ago, White Rain said:

Pretty big differences going from Sterling to metro west this storm.  ~4” with snow covered trees to like 1” snow. 

Driving into work in Quincy I saw a pretty good gradient near or just west of 128.

Spent 9hrs below freezing this morning...bottomed out at 22.8F. Takes a NNW flow to get temps that low down the peninsula.
Locals calling it brutal. It's relative but including WC, I'd call it brisk. Third episode this season with extended freezing temps.
Mid-upper 70's by Sunday
LONG LIVE WINTER! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

I can't take measurements from my country estate as I'm there less than 50% of the time, but NOWData has an entry for neighboring Hollis and thus far has recorded 52.5".  A solid year snowfall-wise to this point.

3 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I can't take measurements from my country estate as I'm there less than 50% of the time, but NOWData has an entry for neighboring Hollis and thus far has recorded 52.5".  A solid year snowfall-wise to this point.

Yes, We have over performed on several of these events.

Final totals for this storm across CT. Warning snows only verified across extreme northern Litchfield county. Most of southern CT at the shore saw mostly rain. Inland we had about a half an inch here that quickly melted as the sun came up, while it was still snowing. Classic white rain storm here.

I pulled the plug on amounts for CT that evening/night before the snow started for much of the state. Pretty much went high advisory and lower for the whole state. I never liked this one for CT but would have had amounts higher im sure if i had a map out 24-48hrs in prior.

Confidence was high in Litchfield getting a solid plowable 3-6"+ snowfall and also high in the SE corner/shoreline getting next to nothing, the transition zone, near and along 84 was the question mark for me. 

Better luck next time, can't win em all. 

01_17.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.9f085c07a99b4abd893d4b8acd1a5daa.jpg01_17.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.bf45e70412ec8ae5453766b40d788d3c.jpg

I had initially complimented okx for their initial snow total map but it turned out to be a major bust for eye 95. This is an aside but I don't know why the Connecticut tv stations don't show New York city in their snowfall maps considering the fact that so many people travel to New York city on a daily basis from all of Connecticut, not just Fairfield county.

34 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Final totals for this storm across CT. Warning snows only verified across extreme northern Litchfield county. Most of southern CT at the shore saw mostly rain. Inland we had about a half an inch here that quickly melted as the sun came up, while it was still snowing. Classic white rain storm here.

I pulled the plug on amounts for CT that evening/night before the snow started for much of the state. Pretty much went high advisory and lower for the whole state. I never liked this one for CT but would have had amounts higher im sure if i had a map out 24-48hrs in prior.

Confidence was high in Litchfield getting a solid plowable 3-6"+ snowfall and also high in the SE corner/shoreline getting next to nothing, the transition zone, near and along 84 was the question mark for me. 

Better luck next time, can't win em all. 

01_17.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.9f085c07a99b4abd893d4b8acd1a5daa.jpg01_17.18_snow_forecast_1.thumb.jpg.bf45e70412ec8ae5453766b40d788d3c.jpg

Nice call.