Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs Thread 1/15-17

NorEastermass128

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s been a really snowy evening. Large glittery crystals with no wind. A jspin special.

Just took the dog out and the 2" felt surprisingly dense earlier but now the snow surface is covered in those huge sparkling crystals.  No idea when it fell but another tenth or two of glitter.

Had that nice band at 4:40 or so.  2.75" Total, but after it got to 2.25", it only went down on compact, even though it snowed a good bit after.  The squall at 4:40 left almost 0.25" fresh.  

17.25" for January, 27.75" for Year.  Very very much average.  So can't complain.  But the next 4 week + will suck.  

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think you gave yourself a B- with the blizzard two weeks ago. If you're giving yourself a B- with this one, I think your grade for the blizzard should of been an A tbh. You did exceptionally well with that storm and better than this one. Still think you did a lot better than all the on-air mets around here for this storm. Great job as always

17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We were just coming off getting porked (modeled well so we knew it was coming) in the Feb 5-6, 2010 event...destroyed Philly and DC and NYC whiffed when like 10 miles south of them got warning snows and 40 miles south got 15"+. So we were already hungry to get into the game again that winter.

Then a really good shortwave was forecasted to slide through the OH valley and spawn a Miller B off the coast of the delmarva and move to near the BM. Most guidance was showing in the range of about 1" of QPF. But some were higher in the 1.5" range...esp for southern half of SNE. Storm had a big circulation. Winter storm warnings were up and the whole region shut down the night before in prep for the storm which was to move in pre-dawn hours. When most people woke up, they found like 1-3" OTG and a putrid looking radar that was all shredded. Some southenr areas did labor their way to 6-8"...and I think far SW CT near NYC actually did pretty well (maybe 10-14?") but the rest of the region was an unmitigated disaster. I think I had a forecast of 8-12" for my clients at the time...and we ended up with like 2-3". Epic bust. The northern edge of the storm got squashed just a bit andit disrupted the circulation up here. Another victim of that exotic NAO block that winter.

It was snowing heavily during that day on the south coast or a couple miles inland from the south coast while it was raining in Boston. 

30 minutes ago, S&P said:

portsmouth RI, eyballed about .5 from morning snow, but it was already raining at that point, ended up with a light coating with the evening band. In newport at work barely measurable, much warmer there

Aquideck island extends roughly 12 miles from south to north as the crow flies. The lower tip of Newport averages roughly 8-10 fewer inches of snow compared to the upper part of Portsmouth. The southern most tip of Newport snow wise has an average annual snowfall average closer to block island when you compare it to nearby coastal communities of Portsmouth, Narragansett and all other south coastal communities. commuters heading into the naval base in Newport will often say it was snowing on the Jamestown bridge but raining when they reached the center span of the Newport bridge...despite the fact that Jamestown is also a small island.

A fascinating aspect of the New England microclimate.

6 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I think you gave yourself a B- with the blizzard two weeks ago. If you're giving yourself a B- with this one, I think your grade for the blizzard should of been an A tbh. You did exceptionally well with that storm and better than this one. Still think you did a lot better than all the on-air mets around here for this storm. Great job as always

I thoughts about a C with this one..but frankly, I graded this forecast on a curve, so to speak...it was a real PITA due to a dearth of forcing.

The blizzard was comparatively easy, but I just blew it on the west end.

14 hours ago, dendrite said:

It’s been a really snowy evening. Large glittery crystals with no wind. A jspin special.

Had the same here, nice after day-long teenyflakes.  Finished with 3.6" from 0.20" LE, in about 21 hours of continuous SN-.  First part of the storm had 12:1 ratio; the last inch was probably more like 40:1.  Went out with the dog at 9 PM and the flashlight showed pretty dime-size floaters, still SN- but close to moderate.  When I turned off the light and looked up, there was Orion clearly visible, first time I've seen stars during accumulating snow.  Those feathers were probably taking an hour or more for their descent, and the final few minutes came while I was admiring the stars.

Looking at reports from other Maine peeps, this event solidified my last-place standing among that group.  Still 4" above my average thru Jan. 18, however.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had the same here, nice after day-long teenyflakes.  Finished with 3.6" from 0.20" LE, in about 21 hours of continuous SN-.  First part of the storm had 12:1 ratio; the last inch was probably more like 40:1.  Went out with the dog at 9 PM and the flashlight showed pretty dime-size floaters, still SN- but close to moderate.  When I turned off the light and looked up, there was Orion clearly visible, first time I've seen stars during accumulating snow.  Those feathers were probably taking an hour or more for their descent, and the final few minutes came while I was admiring the stars.

Looking at reports from other Maine peeps, this event solidified my last-place standing among that group.  Still 4" above my average thru Jan. 18, however.

We need a good anchor, To hold us in place.

Archived