Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs Thread 1/15-17

NorEastermass128

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 512high said:

DomNH, I have been out snow removal since 5am, 5.8"? I would say that 5" is right there, Plowing in exit 5 area all day 

I had a little under 5''. Just don't think we came that close to 6'' but I might be nit picking. It's actually coming down pretty nicely right now with great flakes.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah I don’t think anyone could have thought this. Even the ones that were leaning low. It was a boning. Haven’t had one in a looooong time. Usually we find ways to do well, like ORH does. Today was a bad day 

You mean your lollis to 10" didn't verify with a 1020mb low, marginal temps, and <0.5" QPF?

So this morning my fancy snow stick showed 5" and then we had pretty steady snow all day so I assumed we'd have like 8", but.......I forgot about the 1" of concrete on the ground already.  Measures more accurately after work and it looks like 5.8" of fluff with super fluff on top.  It xc skied like butter!  I'll take it, but still haven't had a 6"+ storm this year.

11 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Except that even a little bit can turn to ice pretty quickly by being compacted over and over.  Clearing snow is easier than ice and ice is a lot more slippery.

If the truck is dumping salt, what's wrong with dropping the plow while they do it?  It seems to me that the salt would do a better job then being closer to the pavement.

Not to mention that it is a weekday morning after 7am so the DPW crews are already at work regardless. They get paid the same for plowing if during normal work hours so they might as well plow. They're there anyway

Archived