Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs Thread 1/15-17

NorEastermass128

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

I'm at work now about 6 mines northwest of my house and there was 4" (5" at my house).  S+ 1/4m vis in this unexpected juicy band moving through.  Temp dropped to 25.5F and winds are picking up out of the NW.  

That's a real nice band over ALB that has been slowly moving NE

56 minutes ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

Yup.. Barely an inch here, but schools closed with wet roads.  Central Ct screw zone on this one for sure.

These events are good reminder to school districts why they shouldn't jump the gun with cancellations before the event is even underway. I get it when a massive blizzard is incoming...but for a 3-6" type event...I don't see why they don't just wait it out, or at most, start by announcing a delay to give them extra time to assess in the morning. 

And so days and days of snow becomes a few hours of light rain and drizzle. Don't think I've seen so much as a snowflake here in New Haven, that observed accumulation map for CT that was posted is definitely wrong for the immediate shore, at least hereabouts. So it goes... Can't say I was expecting much else. 

I was wrong on the snow not being wet in the interior...def wet with temps around freezing...though the flakes themselves were not wet and the snow was def mostly dry pre-dawn. You could tell it was cold not too far aloft. Fluffy flakes...but they've been slightly melted after it falls.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was wrong on the snow not being wet in the interior...def wet with temps around freezing...though the flakes themselves were not wet and the snow was def mostly dry pre-dawn. You could tell it was cold not too far aloft. Fluffy flakes...but they've been slightly melted after it falls.

Yeah classic. I definitely though it would be more like 28-30, but it was slightly warmer.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Has a late season vibe to me.

This storm reminds me of an event in 09' or 10'. SE Ma was expecting around 14-16", but only received 2-4" of snow on the backend of a strengthening coastal. Classes were canceled with literally no snowfall accumulation (during school hours) despite observing snow throughout the morning and afternoon. I'm just basing this comparison on vibe/feel and nothing more. My classes have been canceled this afternoon since last night. Currently,  Storrs has roughly 1-2" of snow on the ground. I thought schools and universities have learned from that event... Make your final calls during the early morning hours so the event has more time to materialize. 

2 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

This storm reminds me of an event in 09' or 10'. SE Ma was expecting around 14-16", but only received 2-4" of snow on the backend of a strengthening coastal. Classes were canceled with literally no snowfall accumulation (during school hours) despite observing snow throughout the morning and afternoon. I'm just basing this comparison on vibe/feel and nothing more. My classes have been canceled this afternoon since last night. Currently,  Storrs has roughly 1-2" of snow on the ground. I thought schools and universities have learned from that event... Make your final calls during the early morning hours so the event has more time to materialize. 

Feb 10, 2010.

Awful bust.

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

still only 60% of his forecasted totals.

I'm seeing a method to his madness...if he wishcasts 6-8", then he coaxes an advisory event out of it.

Might be something there...next decent warning event, I may go 14-18" if I really want to ensure 8-10".

Archived