Weathernoob335
Obs Thread 1/15-17

NorEastermass128

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Multiple reports of ZR down by Duxbury. 

I mean it is just a model forecast, and not necessarily reality, but the latest RAP shows that all the lift is actually very shallow. So even though you have some temps -8 to -10C that are saturated, there is not lift in that zone to generate ice crystals. Where there is lift, it is a little too warm and too shallow for good crystal growth. Hence FZRA/DZ.

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean it is just a model forecast, and not necessarily reality, but the latest RAP shows that all the lift is actually very shallow. So even though you have some temps -8 to -10C that are saturated, there is not lift in that zone to generate ice crystals. Where there is lift, it is a little too warm and too shallow for good crystal growth. Hence FZRA/DZ.

I’m not surprised at all. I thought it was really shallow too, But there was plenty of precip being generated. definitely a model fail. 

34 minutes ago, amarshall said:

In the weird world of Southern plymouth County weather it's icing pretty badly right now. Rt 3 is a warzone with cars off the road everywhere.

41b730bd748e0db16a35d0598f22e121.jpg8ff37f029849bffb4cb8168dbf7f81b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh great, my parents went grocery shopping at exit 6. My dad already totaled one car on rt3 in the snow just before christmas...

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m not surprised at all. I thought it was really shallow too, But there was plenty of precip being generated. definitely a model fail. 

There was an AMDAR sounding (with RH!) that arrived at BOS at 20z.

The saturated layer was from like 1500 ft to 3000 ft. So despite having pretty cold temps in that layer (-10 to -13C), if the lift was garbage you aren't going to get much snow out of that. There was a seeder-feeder hope with cirrus about the low clouds, but it's 10,000 ft higher than the stratus and racing east. 

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

There was an AMDAR sounding (with RH!) that arrived at BOS at 20z.

The saturated layer was from like 1500 ft to 3000 ft. So despite having pretty cold temps in that layer (-10 to -13C), if the lift was garbage you aren't going to get much snow out of that. There was a seeder-feeder hope with cirrus about the low clouds, but it's 10,000 ft higher than the stratus and racing east. 

We have flakes here. Makes sense a little more south it could be warmer. So, lousy lift and maybe a bit warmer. Cloud physics b*tch.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Are people asking WTF?

I can’t tell you the number of people that came up to me at the office today and asked why it was snowing today, where it came from , was the storm starting early etc.. Then I had a dentist appt late afternoon and they asked same thing. When forecasts have sunny and it snows .. the public wants to know why 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I can’t tell you the number of people that came up to me at the office today and asked why it was snowing today, where it came from , was the storm starting early etc.. Then I had a dentist appt late afternoon and they asked same thing. When forecasts have sunny and it snows .. the public wants to know why 

Can't tell us because nobody came up to you asking the question?

Archived