Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 20-22nd Winter Storm

cyclone77

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anecdotally it seems like these warm cutters lock in easier than good snowstorms around here.  Somebody should look into that.

Nah, they're fine. Models just like teasing us and playing games with us couple days out, but they know full well of the final outcome. With regards to cutters, they don't like playing games so they just go straight to the end game. 

52 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Anecdotally it seems like these warm cutters lock in easier than good snowstorms around here.  Somebody should look into that.

I feel the same way but I think it comes down to subjective perspective. The low has been wobbling with the models by a few hundred miles (sometimes going through GRB/sometimes through lower MI). But if you're as far S/E as we are, that wobble makes no practical difference...it's going to rain. So it seems like the models have locked because we don't really care whether Marquette vs Duluth gets a foot of snow or not.

That's my theory. Feel free to punch holes in it.

5 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I feel the same way but I think it comes down to subjective perspective. The low has been wobbling with the models by a few hundred miles (sometimes going through GRB/sometimes through lower MI). But if you're as far S/E as we are, that wobble makes no practical difference...it's going to rain. So it seems like the models have locked because we don't really care whether Marquette vs Duluth gets a foot of snow or not.

No, that seems legit.  You're probably right.

8 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I think he means we see greater inconsistencies with the models when it comes to a good snowstorm for us, but lesser variability when it comes to cutters. If you check the 0z GFS run from Sunday, which at that point in time this event was 180+ hours out, the track has relatively stayed the same with some small wobbles here and there as you mentioned. Whereas, the last storm, we saw continued inconsistency right through the end. 

But as you said, it's a subjective perspective. 

I know this thread is dead because 90% of the board is staring down the barrel of cold rain. It is refreshing to finally have a strong cutter to track, and that it is looking potentially very good here only adds to that. I am beginning to worry about my Monday morning 6:50AM flight from LGA to MSP however....

58 minutes ago, ORDIOWPITMSP said:

I know this thread is dead because 90% of the board is staring down the barrel of cold rain. It is refreshing to finally have a strong cutter to track, and that it is looking potentially very good here only adds to that. I am beginning to worry about my Monday morning 6:50AM flight from LGA to MSP however....

Euro looked like a nice hit for you guys.  Looks like a classic Sioux City special.  

Hoping to hear a rumble or two of thunder Sunday night.  The Euro showed some low-topped convection potential Monday afternoon over IL.  Maybe some small hailers?

Models have only trended worse on this one as far as I am concerned, but they never really trended 'good'. At least during the weekend the NW half of IA was being buried in heavy snow. NWS stands by a chance that it may at least snow for a portion of the event in South Central IA, I think no at this point. Just no. It's rain.

I personally cannot recall a MN special that trended back towards here but have seen many trend that way and end up there? Yes we have had systems trend back se/east as we saw last week but none from MN that i can recall? Been a while if it has? If someone can recall one please share it! Thanks!

6 hours ago, Harry said:

I personally cannot recall a MN special that trended back towards here but have seen many trend that way and end up there? Yes we have had systems trend back se/east as we saw last week but none from MN that i can recall? Been a while if it has? If someone can recall one please share it! Thanks!

March 1998

5 hours ago, Baum said:

March 1998

You only had to go back 20 years.  Not bad.

Though even that one started out warm for us with an initial band of snow running from KS to WI before the second band took shape.  As far as Harry's question, I assume he means the last time we had unanimous model agreement of a storm hitting MN and not just a model/run or two.  

GFS showing 45kts at the (relatively low) top of the mixed layer Monday afternoon/eve from Iowa into northern IL.  Could be some 50mph gust potential with some snow showers.  Would be quite the change from the 50 degree warmth from earlier that morning.

EDIT:  A couple soundings show 50kts at TOML just west of Chitown at 00z Tue.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

GFS showing 45kts at the (relatively low) top of the mixed layer Monday afternoon/eve from Iowa into northern IL.  Could be some 50mph gust potential with some snow showers.  Would be quite the change from the 50 degree warmth from earlier that morning.

Bliz conditions? Wouldn't surprise me if there's any wrap around. Which I'm expecting there to be at least some of given it's a frequent signal on guidance.

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The wind setup does look decent.  The surface low deepening is more gradual vs a bombing scenario, but it's happening all throughout and not at the last minute as the low is pulling away.  

5 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Bliz conditions? Wouldn't surprise me if there's any wrap around. Which I'm expecting there to be at least some of given it's a frequent signal on guidance.

Seems like the models always tend to overdo the wraparound snows beyond 48-72hrs, so wouldn't be surprised to see a decrease in coming runs.  Hopefully we can at least get some good snow shower action, which would look pretty dramatic with the strong winds.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The wind setup does look decent.  The surface low deepening is more gradual vs a bombing scenario, but it's happening all throughout and not at the last minute as the low is pulling away.  

Yeah I like how the storm deepens fairly far to the west, so there's time for the wind fields to catch up before it moves through/out of our region.  If this storm can deepen a little more, and wind fields strengthen just a little more we wouldn't be too far off from high wind warning criteria.  Probably looking a little too closely at this given it's still quite a ways out lol.

Euro night and day difference compared to the GFS.  Original surface low quickly occludes over southeast NE Sunday night, and then a secondary surface low organizes and deepens from northwest IL into northern-lower MI.  The axis of heaviest snowfall remains quite far to the north however, and MSP would still cash in.  MSP crowd has to be feeling good seeing two widely different scenarios both dump 6"+ in their backyards.  

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Euro night and day difference compared to the GFS.  Original surface low quickly occludes over southeast NE Sunday night, and then a secondary surface low organizes and deepens from northwest IL into northern-lower MI.  The axis of heaviest snowfall remains quite far to the north however, and MSP would still cash in.  MSP crowd has to be feeling good seeing two widely different scenarios both dump 6"+ in their backyards.  

Only 6 inches would be a disappointment.

10+ or bust. :).

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Bit of a different evolution on that run compared to last.  Definitely more bullish on occlusion/redevelopment.

Archived