Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 16/17 light snow event.

clskinsfan

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

If it's ok to talk about snow ITT, I'd put my O/U numbers (pending tonight's 0z NAMing and Euro flurries):

BWI: 1"

IAD: 1"

DCA: 0.5"

MBY: 1.3"

Hoffman: 2.8"

Mappy: 2.5"

RIC: 2"

Funchester: 0.7"

I like it and fits my call so I appreciate you not destroying my hopes and dreams. I'm setting my yard bar at 1.5" but that's pushing it. Going big I guess. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

If I can get that blob to my northwest to shift say 15 miles southeast I be very very happy 

The 18z "Swiss Super HD" model on weather.us says you might get your wish.

izVU99F.png

I say that only half in jest.  I just looked into that model, and I think it's the COSMO-1 mesoscale model.  If I'm correct, it's a Swiss model that is run at 1.1 km resolution using boundary conditions provided by the Euro.  It's been jumping around recently, probably because the Euro has, but I looked back at the 1/4 event and it did reasonably well.  When the Euro went big the night before the snow the Swiss model did not - it actually cut back a little from its 18z run. 

56 minutes ago, 87storms said:

the only true drought i remember is back around 2000 (maybe in '99) or so.  there were actually water restrictions in place that summer, but i don't know if we've had anything close to that since.

some rudimentary and local stats here that I kept:  http://mawsweather.com/drought.html

--waaay don the right column

I have had no time to pay much attention to this today, work stupid busy. Just curious, has anyone actually looked at radar today to see if how things are going compared to whats being modeled and see which one seems to be doing the best. After all, the mini storm is actually in progress now. 

7 minutes ago, cae said:

The 18z "Swiss Super HD" model on weather.us says you might get your wish.

izVU99F.png

I say that only half in jest.  I just looked into that model, and I think it's the COSMO-1 mesoscale model.  If I'm correct, it's a Swiss model that is run at 1.1 km resolution using boundary conditions provided by the Euro.  It's been jumping around recently, probably because the Euro has, but I looked back at the 1/4 event and it did reasonably well.  When the Euro went big the night before the snow the Swiss model did not - it actually cut back a little from its 18z run. 

I'll hug it. 

We might still do ok but it's a shame this is coming trough disjointed. The wave develops east of us with the lead vort. Then the upper level energy splits and the better piece dives under us and comes through behind. If it had been centered over us and one consolidated wave we could have had a nice hit here. Little stuff like a stupid slight out of sync timing can throw the whole thing off. 

Archived