joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16/17 light snow event.

clskinsfan

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the fun part. Let's see what happens and enjoy anything we get. I suspect some of us are gonna get a surprise...but where? It's easy to point to the usual suspects, but I'm not ruling anything out just yet. Just a hunch. On another note, I guess our half inch this afternoon ain't happening...

This is stating the obvious but I'm nervous we get stuck between the northern and southern waves. There is an obvious fail zone between the two on all the guidance and way too much of it has it near or over us for my liking. The northern wave seems the best bet, that upper energy associated stuff to our south is trending further away every run but now the northern wave took a step back too. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the nam was best with the frontal wave and almost non existent with the southern system. Less splitting of the energy maybe. 

1 minute ago, Ji said:

I have a bad feeling that the ROI on the Storm might be the worst ever like we could get a Trace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Trace is a win.  Beyond that it’s bonus time.  Do your homework tomorrow night. There is no decent moisture connection to get real over running like we would want.  

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This is stating the obvious but I'm nervous we get stuck between the northern and southern waves. There is an obvious fail zone between the two on all the guidance and way too much of it has it near or over us for my liking. The northern wave seems the best bet, that upper energy associated stuff to our south is trending further away every run but now the northern wave took a step back too. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the nam was best with the frontal wave and almost non existent with the southern system. Less splitting of the energy maybe. 

Well if you’re nervous, then we are def seeing some accumulating snow 

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Trace is a win.  Beyond that it’s bonus time.  Do your homework tomorrow night. There is no decent moisture connection to get real over running like we would want.  

how is a trace a win when the title of this thread is 1"-3" or bust.. a trace would be most definitely a bust in my book. 

10 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Bob never guaranteed an overrunning snow event. He said that if he was over running the models, we'd get snow. ;)

At this point it looks like we need the overrunning to continue at least until the back end of the precip passes through the area.  I think the odds of getting enhancement from one of the waves are pretty low.  It's hard to tell if this trend is real because the front has been slowing down on the GFS, but optimistically speaking it looks pretty good.

EswKMVV.gif

14 minutes ago, cae said:

At this point it looks like we need the overrunning to continue at least until the back end of the precip passes through the area.  I think the odds of getting enhancement from one of the waves are pretty low.  It's hard to tell if this trend is real because the front has been slowing down on the GFS, but optimistically speaking it looks pretty good.

EswKMVV.gif

Pretty exciting...

For New England.

17 minutes ago, cae said:

EswKMVV.gif

Keep that trend going for another 36 hours and we could be in the game!

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The GFS is a disaster run. Winchester snow shield in full effect.

As I tried to introduce to this board 3 weeks ago. We are in a drought that has developed since September. Model bashing is not going to provide the answer. The atmospheric probabilities are not going to change regardless. Chaos reigns. The threat tomorrow and Wednesday sustains that reality. I don't believe that any human accurately understands the reasons. I do see a light of relief as we live the reality of Feb. and March.

A Nina pattern is always bad for us. 

As far as the Euro, I have not been impressed for a long time.  

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

0z models are going to get us back in the game.  If I am wrong then I'm a weenie.  But if I'm right I'm a weenie looking at digital snow!

We're pretty good at last minute trends to put us in the game, but we're also good at last minute trends that put us OUT of the game. I like the optimism, and I guess it can't get any worse than the 12z Euro.

famous last words.

7 minutes ago, stormy said:

As I tried to introduce to this board 3 weeks ago. We are in a drought that has developed since September. Model bashing is not going to provide the answer. The atmospheric probabilities are not going to change regardless. Chaos reigns. The threat tomorrow and Wednesday sustains that reality. I don't believe that any human accurately understands the reasons. I do see a light of relief as we live the reality of Feb. and March.

A Nina pattern is always bad for us. 

As far as the Euro, I have not been impressed for a long time.  

A lot of folks just got 1-2" of rain and will probably get another 1-2" early next week. Drought argument is getting watered down. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

A lot of folks just got 1-2" of rain and will probably get another 1-2" early next week. Drought argument is getting watered down. 

That is very temporary my friend. We need 10 inches of rain slowly over a 30 - 60 day period on unfrozen ground to get us back to normal. The average person doesn't notice drought in the winter.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's obviously the woolly worms

You accurately demonstrate your mentality........ Drought occurs in both winter and summer regardless of your understanding. 3 inches of snow is helpless to mitigate a drought.

2 minutes ago, stormy said:

You accurately demonstrate your mentality........ Drought occurs in both winter and summer regardless of your understanding. 3 inches of snow is helpless to mitigate a drought.

Weather patterns can be dry or wet.  They can be cold or hot.  And they can be all different variations.  Its not some massive conspiracy when we have droughts and floods and heat waves and cold snaps.  It's weather.  Its why most of us are here.  Its not predictable.  Its fun to look for patterns and similarities to past patterns.  I can guarantee it will snow again the same way I can guarantee we will get a heat wave again.  How it happens and when it happens is the chase that we are on here.  Screaming about drought a couple days after a rainstorm is nonsensical.  Sorry for the rant.  In short I don't see any drought.  I will continue to search for snow.

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Weather patterns can be dry or wet.  They can be cold or hot.  And they can be all different variations.  Its not some massive conspiracy when we have droughts and floods and heat waves and cold snaps.  It's weather.  Its why most of us are here.  Its not predictable.  Its fun to look for patterns and similarities to past patterns.  I can guarantee it will snow again the same way I can guarantee we will get a heat wave again.  How it happens and when it happens is the chase that we are on here.  Screaming about drought a couple days after a rainstorm is nonsensical.  Sorry for the rant.  In short I don't see any drought.  I will continue to search for snow.

I am happy that you don't see any drought. In fact the AHPS analysis reveals 25 - 50% of normal precipitation during the last 30 - 90 days. What does that say to you???

Just now, stormy said:

I am happy that you don't see any drought. In fact the AHPS analysis reveals 25 - 50% of normal precipitation during the last 30 - 90 days. What does that say to you???

"Normal" precipitation is just an average.  Statistics are a great thing except when they are twisted and misinterpreted to make a silly point.  If we average 5 inches of precipitation in a given month and we get 1 inch of precipitation its just the weather doing what the weather does.  Its variable.  It changes.  If you want to talk about ways to prepare for drought that's fine.  But saying we are at X% of Y normal precipitation is completely meaningless.  There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Archived