National Weather Service Nashville TN
114 PM CST Mon Jan 15 2018

.UPDATE...
FOR MORNING DISCUSSION.

&&

.DISCUSSION...

Arctic front extends from southern IL southwest into the bootheel
of MO. Patchy snowfall already ongoing in advance of this feature
and is located just northwest of our cwa.

For the update, will up temperatures by a few degrees area wide.
Remainder of fcst appears to be on track in terms of onset of snow
fall. One other change, though, was to remove the initial
rain/snow mix. A closer look at the wet bulb soundings shows that
wet bulb freezing heights at 21z will be around 1000 ft agl. Thus,
the sounding would cool sufficiently, if measurable precip
occurs,

40 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Biggest fly in the ointment is energy trying to transfer from the north/west PVA to the south/east PVA. In the past that has been an awful disappointment for snow fans. Understand why MRX is trying to hold; it's like staying on 16 in blackjack and hoping the dealer busts first..

ARW version shows the snow band disintegrating into eastern Tenn. Painful prog.

BNA and MEM are a little more on board, and perhaps justified. I'm mentally preparing to get blanked in Chattanooga. Anything above a dusting will be a pleasant surprise. Knox has a better chance of sticking snow. Ditto TRI.

Jeff i think my newbie eyes can understand what you are saying on the 12z rgem, which i interpret to show at hour 20 strong returns in west tn, then a transfer a few frames later to areas like northeast ga, northwest sc and on up into central nc and va?

9 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

The SREF average went up from 2 inches to 2.75 inches for Knoxville. One big dog at 6.5 inches. Most have at least 1.5 inches now. The lowest one is .8 inches. Let the good trends continue!

Yeah here are the last 4 runs means for TYS red is the most recent followed by Blue Green and purple respectively for previous runs.  That is a considerable jump in mean in fact the largest jump in mean i've seen on this storm so far for TYS.  Probably a good indicator that the NAM is going to be much wetter this run.

CHA jumped to a quarter inch shy of 2 inches the biggest jump it has had also, all the major sites in the forum jumped.

SREF Mean TYS.PNG

I am a little confused as well, (might be my inexperience) but the simulated radar looked good to me on the 32 and 12 km nam...to the point, i didnt bother to check qpf.  It wasnt the spectacular returns to the west but it looked to me consistent to prior runs if not a little better, and the same duration, and then i looked at the crummy  qpf

Just now, Bango said:

I am a little confused as well, (might be my inexperience) but the simulated radar looked good to me on the 32 and 12 km nam...to the point, i didnt bother to check qpf.  It wasnt the spectacular returns to the west but it looked to me consistent to prior runs if not a little better, until looking at qpf

That is what got me as well, the reflective simulation looked better and I also didn't look at QPF right away for that reason.  Still strange to me that it looked better but QPF dropped and SREF went up.

4 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

MRX going 1-2 inches south of 40, 2-3” north of 40 and 3-4 inches in the favored areas outside the valley with more in the highest elevations.

That's a little more amp'd than I expected out of them, typically being conservative.  WBIR cut their totals down as soon as the 18z NAM came out.  I know which model they like.

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived