• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event

Kasper

Like Jeff said...there's never been a "dry slot", lift weakened a little but is picking back up. The tower going down caused a lot of panic/cliff diving

I was just going by a few posters on here who said the snow tapered to flurries but has picked back up again.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of us in the valley that last band seems to be holding its own and might take hour to 2 hours to work through if you are north of Chatt.  That is where we should score.  I'm actually surprised at how well that band is holding its own even as it works away from BNA radar with a gap with Hytop down it is still showing good returns further away from BNA radar site.

1 hour ago, snowbird1230 said:

Is that a major dry slot coming up the valley?

Why yes, yes it is! We had 15 minutes of good snow with temps at 36*. Nothing since. As I type the temp is now 27* with very very  very very light flurries. Radar shows snow everywhere but a big dry slot ramming into Chattanooga. I'm not sure the 2nd band will produce for us. We now have light snow as I type but I think Chattanooga area will have the least amount of any location in the state unless something drastically changes soon.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Why yes, yes it is! We had 15 minutes of good snow with temps at 36*. Nothing since. As I type the temp is now 27* with very very  very very light flurries. Radar shows snow everywhere but a big dry slot ramming into Chattanooga. I'm not sure the 2nd band will produce for us. We now have light snow as I type but I think Chattanooga area will have the least amount of any location in the state unless something drastically changes soon.

Not to worry.. folks say the radar site is down.. radar must control snow output also.lol

6 minutes ago, Touchet said:

Bust for Birmingham. It will dissipate and redevelop south of here. We are just getting flurries. I think people along the gulf coast may get a surprise and get more snow than here. Roads are fine. 

Well if that happens Spann best hire body guards! 

Not you my friend.

25 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I was just going by a few posters on here who said the snow tapered to flurries but has picked back up again.

This dude.

5 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

Not to worry.. folks say the radar site is down.. radar must control snow output also.lol

Snowbird is not welcome in our sub-forum region.

Now for a dose of reality. GOES-16 shows very subtle lift into the DGZ on the AL/MS border. Columbus radar appears to be weakening as snow moves farther away and under the beam. Then Huntsville is totally down. Nobody is saying big snow; however, light snow will continue for a few hours.

• Mr Bob pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

MRX radar is picking up snow on the plateau, that must be some good snow.

There is no dry slot, Snow coming off the plateau into the Southern Valley is to far out of range for MRX and Nash to pick up, I have yet to see a real let up in snow here in Athens! Love this radar btw! This is in no way directed to you PV! 

B4E50BAB-100E-4FA4-A7E8-59EA92ABCD1D.png

A8B69619-7BCD-47B7-8107-7BBC58916D70.png

16 minutes ago, Kasper said:

There is no dry slot, Snow coming off the plateau into the Southern Valley is to far out of range for MRX and Nash to pick up, I have yet to see a real let up in snow here in Athens! Love this radar btw! 

B4E50BAB-100E-4FA4-A7E8-59EA92ABCD1D.png

A8B69619-7BCD-47B7-8107-7BBC58916D70.png

I agree about the radar being down but looking out my window there is no snow coming from the sky. We had another little burst about 20 minutes ago for a few minutes but it's just cold and cloudy in Ooltewah

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
There is no dry slot, Snow coming off the plateau into the Southern Valley is to far out of range for MRX and Nash to pick up, I have yet to see a real let up in snow here in Athens! Love this radar btw! This is in no way directed to you PV! 
B4E50BAB-100E-4FA4-A7E8-59EA92ABCD1D.thumb.png.d76670db43b59e5dc15d0d22b6275989.png
A8B69619-7BCD-47B7-8107-7BBC58916D70.thumb.png.9ad711f259aa2349b9b22dbc26ed4e9d.png

Who’s saying there’s a dry slot? I’m talking about snow coming off the plateau into the valley. It’s tough for MRX radar to pick snow up in or around Crossville but it’s is with that next band of snow.

2 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Who’s saying there’s a dry slot? I’m talking about snow coming off the plateau into the valley. It’s tough for MRX radar to pick snow up in or around Crossville but it’s is with that next band of snow.

No one, I was just making a observation, the way I worded that I thought you might think it was directed at you! I was just letting you know my comment had nothing to do with your observation.

How much stock do y’all place in sref plumes?  I am guessing it depends on how close they cluster around the mean?  Ktri still shows a 3 inch mean, which seems a little optimistic, especially the unlikelihood of some of the upper totals 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived