Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event

Kasper

4 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

You are correct..she's drying up boys

I could be wrong, but i think it looks quite better then modeled, as a lot of the models showed a complete drying up over south mississippi, followed by a retap over eastern miss, southern bama shortly thereafter...plus i dont think models had the width of the precip field correct

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

You are correct..she's drying up boys

This type of system will have moments where it may seem to be drying up in areas. It’s just part of it. I suggest reading what others are saying and trust  it. Otherwise you’ll drive yourself crazy watching the radar. 

2 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

Maybe so but I'm just looking at northern Alabama.. getting ragged

There were models showing Central AL getting blanked almost.  Though have to be careful a lot of areas that saw much larger snow amounts had no radar returns showing while still pouring snow.  Snow can be very deceptive with radars.

2 minutes ago, Raiders05 said:

This type of system will have moments where it may seem to be drying up in areas. It’s just part of it. I suggest reading what others are saying and trust  it. Otherwise you’ll drive yourself crazy watching the radar.

I just don't see the drying on radar scope in Alabama.  What Raiders05 says is true you will drive yourself crazy.

We will see if it fully comes to pass, but virtually every model showed the precip breaking up in Alabama and Mississippi/Louisiana then regenerating in short order. It's happening later than forecast by them but it appears to finally be happening. I expect the regeneration will occur too. So far the models biggest struggle is timing, snow intensity, and level of cold. They've been too fast to show the initial breakup of the precip, too slow advancing it eastward, too light with snow amounts and too cold on the front side of the front and not cold enough in the snow on the backside.

8 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Geez this place is worse than Volquest when we lose a 3* recruit. Pack it up boys let’s go to the house.

Good ole Powell!! Every board needs the eternal optimist.  Just like UT football, I’m kinda of jaded when it comes to these types of systems for the Valley.  Witnessed for over 30 years systems drying up as they come across the plateau.  Hoping for the best this time!

2 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Not so much losing its moisture, but the best lift is pulling north. Models show the jet enhancing again as it crosses East TN down into Central GA leading to another line forming...it's a waiting game now to see if that happens or not.

That is also where the best accumulating snows occurred in the east, you could see the models enhance the precip rates during that.

We will see if it fully comes to pass, but virtually every model showed the precip breaking up in Alabama and Mississippi/Louisiana then regenerating in short order. It's happening later than forecast by them but it appears to finally be happening. I expect the regeneration will occur too. So far the models biggest struggle is timing, snow intensity, and level of cold. They've been too fast to show the initial breakup of the precip, too slow advancing it eastward, too light with snow amounts and too cold on the front side of the front and not cold enough in the snow on the backside.

In other words....just another typical day in winter weather modeling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived