• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event

Kasper

That's a little more amp'd than I expected out of them, typically being conservative.  WBIR cut their totals down as soon as the 18z NAM came out.  I know which model they like.

Cutting or adding totals after one run is silly. Just ride with the trends, one run isn’t a trend.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, John1122 said:

The models seem to be increasing moisture over the west as the system unfolds. As if it is over performing out there and the models pick up on it and then increase totals close to the system but decrease them later in the run. 

Yeah I feel like this has potential to bust for a lot of folks in either direction.

10 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

The deeper moisture return is why I believe the crazy uncle keeps spitting out totals across the deep south such as this. WWA coming out now from NWS Mobile.

snku_acc.conus.png

Mobile AL NWS .5" to and 1" and saying some may get more than an inch....  Wow didn't see that coming leading up to this storm.

9 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Mobile AL NWS .5" to and 1" and saying some may get more than an inch....  Wow didn't see that coming leading up to this storm.

There's a deep fetch of moisture that streams forward across AL, GA, toward SE TN, before going on the East side of the Apps. These strong artic fronts tend to squeeze all the moisture out they can. Should be an interesting system to watch unfold. Crazy Uncle doesn't have any support, but I believe there is some potential upside to the system.

8 minutes ago, RichardJacks said:

You would think the moisture would be deeper than the NAM/GFS for this kind out output, but in comparing, I don't see much difference in the PWATS.  

Yeah the setup is generally the same across all the modeling as far as PWAT. Only thing I came up with is the CMC/RGEM squeezes everything out. Also, HUN had in their overnight disco that there was some veering at 700mb drying out that layer on the models while the column above and below stayed juiced. I think it's why MOB went ahead and jumped with the WWA.

1 minute ago, TellicoWx said:

Yeah the setup is generally the same across all the modeling as far as PWAT. Only thing I came up with is the CMC/RGEM squeezes everything out. Also, HUN had in their overnight disco that there was some veering at 700mb drying out that layer on the models while the column above and below stayed juiced. I think it's why MOB went ahead and jumped with the WWA.

Well these arctic fronts are known to squeeze everything out...I too have noticed the 700mb drying and you can see how it dries out the sounding...if winds do not veer, and the squeezing out is underplayed, this could be more significant.

Just now, RichardJacks said:

Well these arctic fronts are known to squeeze everything out...I too have noticed the 700mb drying and you can see how it dries out the sounding...if winds do not veer, and the squeezing out is underplayed, this could be more significant.

Could you elaborate for us noobs? 

3 minutes ago, RichardJacks said:

HUN didn't buy it this morning, said it was occurring too fast, haven't had much time this afternoon to go thru all the discos to see if the thinking changed any.

1 minute ago, RichardJacks said:

The arctic air behind the front is very cold and dense, any moisture will be squeezed out as snow.  If the models are under forecasting the moisture, or not handling the process correctly, there will be more snow than shown.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted what you were saying, Thanks

9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Can anyone explain why MRX is calling for 2-3" north of I40 but the point and clicks show nothing of the sort,

I believe former forecasts are in catches and sometimes you pickup some of these.  I can click on my area and get 1 to 2 inches one time and get less than one half inch the next.  It is either an old catch or there system is screwed up. I have noticed if I clear my browser and click on my area I get the new forecast.

1 minute ago, PowellVolz said:

Mine is the same way, this happens quite a bit for the Knoxville area.

True.  I don't want folks to think I am knocking the forecast...but not sure which forecast to roll with.  Was wondering if the grids were late in updating.  The afternoon disco was pretty much 2-3" north of I-40....but my forecast is .5.  I am good either way...but there is a big difference between those amounts when thinking about travel.  I think there are probably organizations seeing .5" and may not see the disco.

10 minutes ago, bearman said:

I believe former forecasts are in catches and sometimes you pickup some of these.  I can click on my area and get 1 to 2 inches one time and get less than one half inch the next.  It is either an old catch or there system is screwed up.

True.  Will check on another computer and will update this post...

Update:  Don't think it is a cache problem.  Looks like the point and click does not correlate with either the winter weather advisory and definitely not the afternoon disco.  Looks like the afternoon disco is an error maybe?  If any of you know those folks, might not hurt to notify MRX of the discrepancy as there are folks making decisions on this and need accurate information.

22 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

True.  Will check on another computer and will update this post...

Update:  Don't think it is a cache problem.  Looks like the point and click does not correlate with either the winter weather advisory and definitely not the afternoon disco.  Looks like the afternoon disco is an error maybe?  If any of you know those folks, might not hurt to notify MRX of the discrepancy as there are folks making decisions on this and need accurate information.

Point and click are computer generated forecasts.  The ZFP is written by the Mets.

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived