AFDMRX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Morristown TN
956 AM EST Mon Jan 15 2018

.DISCUSSION...Overall forecast still on track with only minor
updates needed. Temperatures were raised several degrees through
the morning and early afternoon with greater cloud cover over the
area. Warm temperatures and mostly clear skies expected through
the day...with clouds increasing overnight ahead of a cold front.

Models try to bring in more moisture to the area...with slightly
higher snowfall totals expected Tuesday and Tuesday night. A
Winter Weather Advisory has been issued to account for the
snowfall expected through the late morning and Tuesday night.

3 minutes ago, dwagner88 said:

I’m still very much not sold on this. I think south of 40 in east TN will be lucky to get a dusting. In fact the NAM has trended that direction this morning. 

I understand your skepticism for Hamilton County especially, but the 12K NAM squeezes out between .1 and .15 inches for the southern 2/3 of hamilton County.  Likely 13 to 15:1 ratios, I would expect 1-2 inches for Chatt proper.

2 minutes ago, Kasper said:

I find it hard to believe that MRX is going with warmer temps today, with the cloud cover, I just don’t see it! I’m still at 26 at the moment! 

Think there is some WAA ahead of the front today that they are counting on.  I saw it last night kick in was down to 15, then at midnight saw it was back up to 22.  WAA is a good sign that the front is stout though.

5 minutes ago, Kasper said:

I find it hard to believe that MRX is going with warmer temps today, with the cloud cover, I just don’t see it! I’m still at 26 at the moment! 

The way that update was worded I think it was a mistake to say temps were going up. I think they meant lower, although Shawn might be right?

2 minutes ago, Kasper said:

More of an observation but here in the Tricities, the sun is out. 

Will be interesting to see this little system play out. In general, looks like a widespread 1-3 inch snow for the mid-south is on tap.  I thought the mountains might even enhance (certainly not inhibit) precipitation in the mountains and northeast valleys, but the NAM is relatively weak for northeast TN.  The 6z RGEM was pretty beefy up this way.  Mesoscale model battle is on if 12z keeps the "beefy" look for northeast TN.  

Good luck everyone.

6 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

More of an observation but here in the Tricities, the sun is out. 

Will be interesting to see this little system play out. In general, looks like a widespread 1-3 inch snow for the mid-south is on tap.  I thought the mountains might even enhance (certainly not inhibit) precipitation in the mountains and northeast valleys, but the NAM is relatively weak for northeast TN.  The 6z RGEM was pretty beefy up this way.  Mesoscale model battle is on if 12z keeps the "beefy" look for northeast TN.  

Good luck everyone.

Not that often that the entire forum is under winter weather products at the same time.  Very cool when it happens even for light events like this.

Just now, ShawnEastTN said:

Not that often that the entire forum is under winter weather products at the same time.  Very cool when it happens even for light events like this.

Very true it’s been a while, you’re right Shawn I have a slight SSW at 3 mph, Good Luck everyone! Hopefully we get a nice surprise with totals! 

1 minute ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Absolutely is.  Looks as though the GFS is caving.  QPFs went up more inline with NAM and Euro and RGEM.

Yep it has caved, not a big surprise there! Looks as if there might be a nice dendritic growth zone setting up! That would be sweet a few hrs of heavy snow and this would really catch everyone by surprise! Well except us of course.... lol

12z ICON and 12z RGEM were the beefiest runs yet for the Eastern Valley. .2-.4 QPF on both models in some spots. The trend in both models is slight backing of the trough compared to previous runs. This doesn’t have as big of an impact for us than it does for NC and points east but it increases the flow from the Gulf. Any slow down of the front allows for more moisture to bank against it.

19 minutes ago, tnwxwatcher said:

Is this cold front supposed to be sharp, like the previous one we had on Friday?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Shouldn't fall as rapid as this past weekend but it will fall likely all day with the snow falling as it is a strong front.  We won't be warm when it gets to us so it won't feel as extreme as the last storms drop.  But we don't often get snow with the kind of cold we will have with this, there is a certain point you cross usually around 25 degrees or so that if there is no sun, salt doesn't really perform well expect roads will be really bad Wednesday morning with a low in single digits for most.  Performance of salt gets worse and worse the lower the temperature.

Shouldn't fall as rapid as this past weekend but it will fall likely all day with the snow falling as it is a strong front.  We won't be warm when it gets to us so it won't feel as extreme as the last storms drop.  But we don't often get snow with the kind of cold we will have with this, there is a certain point you cross usually around 25 degrees or so that if there is no sun, salt doesn't really perform expect roads will be really bad Wednesday morning with a low in single digits for most.
Thanks... once again I really appreciate the details!

Still working on contingency plans for school / work schedule...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Would love to see the 12z icon come to fruition with the moisture hanging up in east tn, a long duration light snow from hour 32-34 and not exiting until hour 52-54 (times roughly for tri but applicable for much of the east

Anyone notice MRX wording on the WWA, “Portions” they are being very careful! Lol 

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TUESDAY TO 1 AM
EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on slippery road conditions,
including during the evening commute on Tuesday. Total snow
accumulations of one to three inches are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia and 
Southwest North Carolina.

* WHEN...From 10 AM Tuesday to 1 AM EST Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at 
times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will
cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered
roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving.

Curious to see if the temps can reach the expected highs in the low 40s today... TYS is still at 28 and cloudy, but appears the clouds are moving out of the southern valley with respective temp increases (Chatts at 37 now, shot up 7 degrees in the last 2 hours).

Looks like the southwest flow is about to come up the valley.

image.png.62484327394d6150ca6a3fdf680b5f6c.png

Update:

Helps to refresh the page, multiple people mentioned this already! :)

Well, I can tell you my work place is not taking this seriously at all. A lot of people are seeing 1inch and thinking it will be fine because typically snow melts on the roads here. I’m gonna have to call out of work because I really don’t want to get stuck there for two days. 

Trying to get my bearings, recent trends CMC, ICON, RGEM in the extremely beefy region wide, NAM, GFS, Euro beefy but perhaps not quite as generous as the aforementioned although the nam 12z is better for some areas ...about right? 

10 minutes ago, Touchet said:

Well, I can tell you my work place is not taking this seriously at all. A lot of people are seeing 1inch and thinking it will be fine because typically snow melts on the roads here. I’m gonna have to call out of work because I really don’t want to get stuck there for two days. 

Yeah this won't likely be the typical little snow that just makes the road wet and melts in an hour.  This will be very different.

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived