Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

8 hours ago, psv88 said:

Drove from Commack to Bayside yesterday morning. Was a light dusting of snow in my area in the morning, which continued along the northern state Pkwy in the hills until about exit 38. From exit 38 to the Wantagh there was no snow. Starting at the Wantagh, there was a light dusting all the way along the NSP until the Queens line, when there was clearly a bit more snow. From the Cross island north to Bayside there was maybe 1/2" of snow on the side of the road. Didnt see any areas with close to an inch, but i was not in Great Neck so i cant speak for there. 

I will say that GN has its own micro-climate. I lived in Albertson for years and when we would visit our cousins in GN they would always have more snow on the ground, and did exceptionally well in marginal events, which is to be expected given its far NW location and hilly terrain. 

They also have elevation.  It's a gorgeous area to live in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was just in great neck and was surprised at how much snow there was. The snow cover really didn’t start until great neck. So it really was confined to just that area 

Wait so Great Neck had more than Manhattan or the Bronx?

My sister was driving up that way and said she saw about 2 inches of snow from Great Neck to Port Washington.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:41 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Nice!! Pretty similar to what we had on the UWS. The north shore is a whole different climate from the south shore for many reasons, snow being just one. At home in wantagh T.

Funny thing is way south of us got way more snow than anyone on Long Island did.

Even Cape Hatteras.....heck parts of NC had a foot of snow (and not even in the mountains.)

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Looks like you ended up at Mine Dock Park? Awesome shot... I was there at the beginning of the month when the ice was solid enough that you could walk out to the ruins of the old wooden barges.

Yeah I ended up there. How'd you know? Lol. It was solid enough around the immediate shore line for me to get out a foot or two from the brushes but that's about it. 

Archived